MERGED--> Shooter loose on Virginia Tech campus - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2007, 09:55 AM   #271
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:14 PM
Police have identified the gunman responsible for killing the students in Norris. He was a student, who lived on campus. English major. Senior. One of his 2 weapons was used both in Nor & WAJ.

They say they are questioning a person of interest who was at the 1st shooting, but haven't yet said that the one gunman was responsible for both shootings.

ETA: sorry sula, i didn't see you already posted this.

i'll add:

classes are cancelled for the remainder of the week. norris is cancelled for the remainder of the semester.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:01 AM   #272
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:14 AM
Probably nothing on this list will be news to anyone with personal reasons for wanting to know specific names, but collegemedia.com is maintaining a list of the deceased as their names are released to the public. So far 10 students and 4 professors are listed.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-17-2007, 10:03 AM   #273
Refugee

Local Time: 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by unico
i don't want to point fingers and blame. but i just can't help but think that if campus was shut down IMMEDIATELY after the first shooting, that perhaps those 20 that were killed in the classroom would'nt've been in class.

i know, i know, it is a horrible thing to say. but i can't understand why classeses wouldn't be cancelled and the entire campus locked down after the first shooting at 7am. and then to have a 2nd shooting a whole 3 hours later?!

i guess i'm just still in shock. i don't mean to offend, i just don't understand the procedures involved i guess.

this just in: police report that shooter shot and killed himself. he was an asian-american male.

ill keep you all posted.
I don't understand that either
Old 04-17-2007, 10:03 AM   #274
Blue Crack Addict

thank you yolland. i didn't have that link, i've been finding out names through facebook. although i have my own personal opinions on our school paper, this site is probably more valid.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:05 AM   #275
Blue Crack Supplier

it's just so awful. am sort of at a loss for words. i start to get angry, but then i just get sad.

what a world.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:09 AM   #276
Blue Crack Addict

some jackasses have already started a "fuck cho s eung hui" facebook group.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:11 AM   #277
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I suppose it's inevitable, but I am dreading the xenophobic backlash that is sure to come. According to CNN he was a resident alien (green card holder) and not technically an "international student" (which is the population that I work with) but I imagine that difference will be lost on many.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:13 AM   #278
Blue Crack Addict

I've been thinking about what some people are saying re: not enforcing the lockdown immediately after the first shooting. I wondered about this at length myself. But I've been thinking more and more that hindsight is always 20/20. VT has a student population of 25,000. From what I've read, the student got angry and shot the RA. At that point, it's kind of like an isolated domestic incident. If we live in a town of 25,000 people and someone shoots his wife across town, do we lockdown the town in anticipation of a shooting spree? I don't know, it's very sad of course and no one is at fault but the shooter. I think it's unfair, at least at this point, to be placing blame on VT administration for not enforcing immediate lockdown. There's been some crazy shit that's happened on my campus, a fraction of the size of VT, things that never resulted in a lockdown because they didn't escalate, and most students weren't aware they happened until the administration announced it. Who could have anticipated he'd go off on a shooting spree hours later? Would I have? No.

I'm not trying to start an argument, those are just some thoughts that have been going through my head. It's human nature to immediately need some sort of reason and someone to blame. I think this is one of those cases where someone really messed up just went off. No one could have seen it coming.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:15 AM   #279
Blue Crack Addict

and why did they stop broadcasting news to show pat robertson
i want to throw up.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:17 AM   #280
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
I suppose it's inevitable, but I am dreading the xenophobic backlash that is sure to come. According to CNN he was a resident alien (green card holder) and not technically an "international student" (which is the population that I work with) but I imagine that difference will be lost on many.
People have to always blame someone

I'm waiting for the "Videogames/Marilyn Manson" angle...
Old 04-17-2007, 10:22 AM   #281
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
I've been thinking about what some people are saying re: not enforcing the lockdown immediately after the first shooting. I wondered about this at length myself. But I've been thinking more and more that hindsight is always 20/20. VT has a student population of 25,000. From what I've read, the student got angry and shot the RA. At that point, it's kind of like an isolated domestic incident. If we live in a town of 25,000 people and someone shoots his wife across town, do we lockdown the town in anticipation of a shooting spree? I don't know, it's very sad of course and no one is at fault but the shooter. I think it's unfair, at least at this point, to be placing blame on VT administration for not enforcing immediate lockdown. There's been some crazy shit that's happened on my campus, a fraction of the size of VT, things that never resulted in a lockdown because they didn't escalate, and most students weren't aware they happened until the administration announced it. Who could have anticipated he'd go off on a shooting spree hours later? Would I have? No.

I'm not trying to start an argument, those are just some thoughts that have been going through my head. It's human nature to immediately need some sort of reason and someone to blame. I think this is one of those cases where someone really messed up just went off. No one could have seen it coming.
I know what you mean, but living in a town of 25,000 is different then living in a college campus, you know? our special residential community is like a gated community, with unique policies to be enforced. even if it were an isolated incident, we still should've heard about it sooner than 2 hours later. i am pretty sure that if students had heard about the very first shooting, isolated as it may be, many of them would have not gone to their 9am or perhaps even 8am classes.

again, the residential community is different from on campus because residents in a town are allowed to have guns. students on campus are not. anytime there is a gun on campus, the safety of the students is of the utmost concern and is at risk.

i, personally, as someone at this school, would've preferred to hear about the first incident at least much sooner than i did. i would've told all my students to stay away from campus for awhile. the initial e-mail i got did not give any sense of closure of the situation.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:23 AM   #282
Refugee

Local Time: 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by unico
and why did they stop broadcasting news to show pat robertson
i want to throw up.
I'm waiting for Dr. Laura, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and Jerry Falwell to blame feminists, working mothers, and gay people.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:24 AM   #283
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Golightly Grrl

I'm waiting for Dr. Laura, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and Jerry Falwell to blame feminists, working mothers, and gay people.
i heard pat robertson say "terrorists" just as i turned off my tv. what a friggin idiot. he is poisioning our time of grief.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:26 AM   #284
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

It never takes long for the vultures to show up, does it.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:37 AM   #285
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
I think most rational people will not resort to xenophibic reaction....politicizing it!

Just as most rational people are not going to blame the way the United States (GW) conducts its foreign policy.....politicizing it!

End of the day, it was someone who was hurting inside, and they did not know how to control what they were feeling or doing.