MERGED--> Shooter loose on Virginia Tech campus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
deep said:
It seems that Columbine may have inspired him.

I wonder how many 12-14 year olds are sitting home alone
in front of the T V drinking this in?

Hopefully if they are, they are watching with a parent who could better explain these actions.

I didn't really want my kids to know what happened, but by going to school they ofcourse heard from other kids so I tried to do my best to explain to my younger son and watched the news with my older one.

I didn't want them to be afraid of going to school. :(

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I guess it's a question of will analyzing this person somehow help us understand and prevent future occurences?

And are we doing the families and friends of those lost injustice by talking about him?

I don't know the answers to these questions...

I don't know either. Talking with my colleagues, so many of us were so hurt, and wanted some answers. I don't know if I regret knowing what I know now or not...but my heart certainly wasn't prepared for it. It's like we want to know but we don't.

:sigh:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I guess it's a question of will analyzing this person somehow help us understand and prevent future occurences?

And are we doing the families and friends of those lost injustice by talking about him?

I don't know the answers to these questions...

I agree, I just think there will be a time for this type of discussion, but for families and friends who lost someone to this may not want to hear this just yet. the reality has probably not yet sunk in. a bad dream. there's not much I can do but guess at this since I'm not directly experiencing this. :shrug:

4.gif
for M.

Analysing is good. But maybe not two days after the incident, and especially not by the media.

I hate it how the media nowadays is trying to tell us everything, and do the jobs there are professionals for.

Last edited:
LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
The way the news is reporting this package is disgusting me to no end. Don't turn on msnbc - they haven't taken his picture down since the story broke (at least everytime I've flipped the channel it's still there). I was just watching Brian Williams and they were talking about how this video is "giving him a voice from the grave" and that it's "terrorizing us after the fact". So, my question is, why show it in the first place? If they really wanted to be so sensitive with this material, they could have given a link on their website for those who were truly curious to see this shit.

Honestly, it didn't take long for the news media to go from 0 to sensationalism, did it? :down:

Definitely. When I first heard about the package, I thought NBC would have the decency not to show anything from it, at least so soon after it happened in a time of healing. So much for that.

I use the smile instead of the hug...

phanan said:

Definitely. When I first heard about the package, I thought NBC would have the decency not to show anything from it, at least so soon after it happened in a time of healing. So much for that.

Sadly, I think there are probably more that WANT to see it though. Curiosity. Why do people slow/stop at accident scenes? It's not because they are afraid of hitting the state troopers assisting/investigating....

I checked out the pictures at MSNBC.com. Seeing him pointing a gun at "me" made my stomache churn....one of the most chilling photos I have seen in a long time.

I also read the stories about the identified victims. When I coached a college lacrosse team a few years ago, we played at VT. One of the VT lacrosse players was killed.

Almost all of us can identify with one (or many) of these victims. That's what makes this story compelling/chilling/heart-breaking.

Also sadly...there are others that can identify with the shooter. :(

Again, Mia...be strong for your students, but also take care of yourself! :)

On another note...my company today established an unbelievable program for VT students and the families of the victims. I haven't been with the company that long...but I am BLOWN AWAY by this program. It is sad to say, but I have never seen this type of generosity from our company (more or less giving away our product to the families). I was VERY happy with the support of the VT community.

Sorry for being so vague...those of you who know me (and that is sooo many of you) know who i work for..and outside of that, I am not found of having this as public information. The information has been provided to the VT community.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Honestly, it didn't take long for the news media to go from 0 to sensationalism, did it? :down:

It's become an event...that's what bothers me. The postcards and bumper stickers are bound to follow. It's also pretty interesting how the actual victims and their families must now put up with over-analyzing of the killer, after the fact, when that kind of attention should've been placed on him by authorities before he acted.

hey im taking a break from painting/sucking at guitar hero, to stop by for a simple request. i probably don't have to say it, but JIC:

please, for my sake, let's not post pics of the shooter, nor the contents of the package,, nor any death scenes or anything. memorial images of the victims is cool though.

i'm not trying to be a mod, its just that i come here to post my reflections, and i dont want to see those images again. i know you all have been really cool about it, but i just wanted to drop this by JIC someone who hasn't been regularly talking in here drops by.

okay, again, please, i don't mean to come off as bossy. i just wanted to come out with it. i know you all understand.

thanks again for all your support, and for talking with me trhough this. i really really really appreciate it. :hug:

I was thinking the very same thing.

If someone does not see your request

let's all politely pm and ask that it be removed.

hopefully this won't be necessary.

EXCELLENT request Mia!

angelordevil said:

The postcards and bumper stickers are bound to follow.

local gas stations "selling" magnetic VT black ribbons will sicken me as much as the photos of the shooter! :crack:

unico said:
hey im taking a break from painting/sucking at guitar hero, to stop by for a simple request. i probably don't have to say it, but JIC:

please, for my sake, let's not post pics of the shooter, nor the contents of the package,, nor any death scenes or anything. memorial images of the victims is cool though.

i'm not trying to be a mod, its just that i come here to post my reflections, and i dont want to see those images again. i know you all have been really cool about it, but i just wanted to drop this by JIC someone who hasn't been regularly talking in here drops by.

okay, again, please, i don't mean to come off as bossy. i just wanted to come out with it. i know you all understand.

thanks again for all your support, and for talking with me trhough this. i really really really appreciate it. :hug:

I don't want to see those images again either. :tsk:

unico said:

Mia, I'll go ahead and make that request a formal one. I haven't had a chance to talk to any of the other mod staff about it, but I can't imagine that anyone would disagree.

To everyone: Please refrain from posting the photos of the shooter. Everyone knows where to find them on the net if they feel the desire to look, but it's not something we need to see here. It's bad enough that his twisted fantasies have been carried out, we don't need to legitimize them in any way by giving him the publicity he wanted.

I'm pretty sure that everyone understands the reasons behind this request, but if anyone has an issue, please feel free to PM or email myself or any of the mods.

Thanks.

thanks so much :hug:

i totally e-mailed msnbc, and told them that i will never watch their news again if the pics arent down by tomorrow. my colleagues and i are now taking turns calling the local news.

I disagree with not discussing the killer. This is an issue that cost lives and we shouldn't turn our back on it. I think that it would be irresponsible to ignore the facts about Cho and his insanity. Perhaps start another thread about it?

This is someone who was seriously ill. Maybe there should be psychological test results presented when purchasing a gun? These things need to be discussed.

BrownEyedBoy said:
I disagree with not discussing the killer. This is an issue that cost lives and we shouldn't turn our back on it. I think that it would be irresponsible to ignore the facts about Cho and his insanity. Perhaps start another thread about it?

This is someone who was seriously ill. Maybe there should be psychological test results presented when purchasing a gun? These things need to be discussed.

http://forum.interference.com/t175312.html

I wish he hadn't killed himself. I can't help but think there would be nothing more constructive than to have hundred's of doctors and professional, who are, at this point just speculating, actually study him. Having professionals disecting him for the rest of his life, might be some kind of an answer. Would it help? just to see if there is something that could have been done to detect this kind of mass murder intent in someone?.
I don't know if that is possible with such a twisted soul. and it never happens with someone like this. They almost always kill themselves. Something is not wired right with someone like this and I don't know what the solution is..
Sorry, I'm just ramblin now.

unico said:
thanks so much :hug:

i totally e-mailed msnbc, and told them that i will never watch their news again if the pics arent down by tomorrow. my colleagues and i are now taking turns calling the local news.

I think people have the right to know these things. I'd rather know than to be kept in the dark.

BrownEyedBoy said:

I think people have the right to know these things.

You want pics and video manifestos of every psycho on the FBI's Most Wanted list? What exactly for? What is there to know?

If a family member of mine were murdered I would like to know as much about the killer as I could. To find a motive, to make sense out of the whole thing, something.

What is there to know? More than you would know without being informed of these things.

BrownEyedBoy said:

I think you need to take the time to read what I actually said, which was essentially to please not post the photos from the recent package sent to NBC. If you want to discuss the killer's mental health, state of mind, whatever, of course that's legitimate (although it would be better to do it in another thread) but you also might consider giving this whole thing a couple of days to calm down before starting in to what is certain to be a long and really never-ending process of asking "why?" In the meantime, we will show respect to our fellow community members in their time of sorrow by not allowing the person who took the lives of their loved ones to hold power from beyond the grave. That is a choice we CAN make.

If you have a problem with that, I'm sorry.

BrownEyedBoy said:
If a family member of mine were murdered I would like to know as much about the killer as I could. To find a motive, to make sense out of the whole thing, something.

What is there to know? More than you would know without being informed of these things.

reliving the nightmare of my murdered student isn't going to wash away my tears or take away my pain.

i don't need the pictures. i can read about it, but i don't need those haunting images.

you're talking in hypothetics. i really do think if you lived here, you'd feel differently. all of my colleagues are upset by the images and video being broadcast.

sulawesigirl4 said:

I think you need to take the time to read what I actually said, which was essentially to please not post the photos from the recent package sent to NBC. If you want to discuss the killer's mental health, state of mind, whatever, of course that's legitimate (although it would be better to do it in another thread) but you also might consider giving this whole thing a couple of days to calm down before starting in to what is certain to be a long and really never-ending process of asking "why?" In the meantime, we will show respect to our fellow community members in their time of sorrow by not allowing the person who took the lives of their loved ones to hold power from beyond the grave. That is a choice we CAN make.

If you have a problem with that, I'm sorry.

I wasn't necessarily replying to your post. I think you need to take the time and read my post and see that I did suggest starting a new thread about it.

And yes, I do agree that time is needed for the dust to settle but I also think that these things must be thought about sooner or later.

I understand about not posting photos in here, because obviously it has affected people directly.
But to assume that the media will stop showing his photograph or details of his life is just unreasonable.
Everyone wants to put together pieces of the puzzle, to make things work out in their mind. As awful as it sounds, I've read up on Eric and Dylan so much this past year that I feel like they could have attended my school. I know of kids who were bullied in that way, and combined with a mental illness, I can see how easily someone can pick up a gun and kill indiscriminately.
Just today they had a Columbine survivor on Oprah talking about his work going around schools and informing them on compassion and tolerance. He admitted that a few students had come up to him after his talks and handed them their hit list, or thanking him for stopping what they wanted to do.
There's a fine line between abuse and advocacy, and I think at this point people just want to know why. Everyone wanted to know who Osama was after 9/11, who Eric and Dylan were after Columbine, who Lee Harvey Oswald was after JFK's assassination.

My suggestion is that you just avoid the news for a while, because nothing will stop the flow of free information. This is coming from a journalism student directly.

Edit: I see that people have already beaten me to the punchline, but it still stands.

Just turn off the news until the fever has subsided. Rely on friends and family for support or any details you want. They will be much more sensitive to you than any network can. :up:

BrownEyedBoy, I think what a lot of people are railing against is the fact that you can't go to a news website or a news channel without being bombarded over and over again with those images and sounds. It's a disgusting amount of overkill, and we'll be seeing them on those sites and channels for weeks.

It's not about not wanting to acknowledge his existence or try to figure out "why." It's a reaction of frustration and disgust at the state of American newsmedia.

(And of course, that's not in reference to this thread in particular, where the desire not to see his face is completely understandable and a reasonable request.)

i understand all that about learning more of him. i just don't see the need for the photos. i don't mind reading more about him, or hearing more about his history. the photos are just a bit much.

at least have us click on a link to see them. there's no need to have them plastered on the front page, or to have the image taking up 3/4 of the screen during interviews on tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom