MERGED--> Shooter loose on Virginia Tech campus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand how you feel

but, let's say you knew by 8 - 8:15 am that two students had been shot.

If the students fled the campus they could have been easy targets, much like the tower sniper incident in Texas.

or

If the students went into buildings and locked the doors, 50. 60 or more could have been locking themselves inside with a killer.

I think what happened is because the police were told that the girl had gone shooting with her boyfriend, that he had guns.

and 90+% of the time this type of thing is a relationship gone wrong killing.

Someone catches someone with someone else, they lose it. It is called a crime of passion.

So her BF became the person of interest.

I am sure the School authorities and law enforcement are feeling absolutely terrible.

I just don't see a real dereliction of duty. Unless I learn something more.

Again I am so sorry for all your loss.

Last edited:
can I ask.....all the reports on the internet news sites have mentioned this Cho person's parents and that they live in VA. but....where are his parents now? I mean....well I guess I can understand if they're in hiding or if the CIA is protecting them, because I can only imagine the threats they are or could or will be getting or what would be taken out on them, but there's been no mention of their reactions to their son doing this or anything, has there? I dont think I've missed that part, have I?

Unico.....how you holding up? :hug:

Just when you think this whole situation can't get any worse than it does :(. Feel absolutely helpless with taking away the pain of those who are suffering.

With all of the negative and sadness that has been dealt out in the past few days. Please everyone keep in mind that there is still positive things to remember. By keeping the memories alive of those who passed we are combating the evil that still lurks.

Kiki said:
can I ask.....all the reports on the internet news sites have mentioned this Cho person's parents and that they live in VA. but....where are his parents now? I mean....well I guess I can understand if they're in hiding or if the CIA is protecting them, because I can only imagine the threats they are or could or will be getting or what would be taken out on them, but there's been no mention of their reactions to their son doing this or anything, has there? I dont think I've missed that part, have I?

Unico.....how you holding up? :hug:

Justin posted a story saying the parents were hospitalized for shock when they heard of their son's rampage. I, too, am curious about his family. It's natural to look to the parents to see "what went wrong at home" but I also believe that sometimes a bad seed is a just a bad seed. We just don't know.

unico said:

i want to...but then i don't.

i have to be here for my students. they need me. i'm an advisor, this is my job. this is when they need me the most, and...i need them too.

but some people are coming up to visit. kristina, and possibly laura this weekend. which, is comforting beyond words. my dad left this morning, so it will be nice to have someone else around.

Hey....it's really great of you to want to stay there because you're an advisor, but remember you need and deserve a time out for yourself too. Even if it's just to go to the next town over and sit in a park or something. Get a breath of fresh air....allow yourself to be okay too.

We (everyone in here) worry about you, that's all.

joyfulgirl said:

Justin posted a story saying the parents were hospitalized for shock when they heard of their son's rampage. I, too, am curious about his family. It's natural to look to the parents to see "what went wrong at home" but I also believe that sometimes a bad seed is a just a bad seed. We just don't know.

oh nonononononononono that's not what I was meaning, I wasn't meaning anything about his parents being responsible. I was just wondering if they were even living in America anymore, that's more of what I was getting at, or if they even had been located. I just found it interesting that I hadn't heard anything about them. I would never blame them...I mean....of course unless they came out and said they supported it or something. But nonononoo I wasn't saying anything against them or against Korean's or anything like that at all.

deep said:
I understand how you feel

but, let's say you knew by 8 - 8:15 am that two students had been shot.

If the students fled the campus they could have been easy targets, much like the tower sniper incident in Texas.

or

If the students went into buildings and locked the doors, 50. 60 or more could have been locking themselves inside with a killer.

I think what happened is because the police were told that the girl had gone shooting with her boyfriend, that he had guns.

and 90+% of the time this type of thing is a relationship gone wrong killing.

Someone catches someone with someone else, they lose it. It is called a crime of passion.

So her BF became the person of interest.

I am sure the School authorities and law enforcement are feeling absolutely terrible.

I just don't see a real dereliction of duty. Unless I learn something more.

Again I am so sorry for all your loss.

But, what if we all got the e-mail, and he didn't because he was off campus mailing a package. At least some people in the classroom in Norris, probably would not have went, if it was their first class of the day. People who lived off campus would've never driven over.

We don't know whether or not he was packing heat when he went to the post office, and if he went straight to nor. afterwards or back to his room.

I don't know what would've changed. But I do know this:
If I had gotten word about Ryan's murder sooner, I would've sent e-mails out to all of my students, and told them to stay inside, and tell their friends to do the same.

Maybe it is just me wishing I could've done something. Of course, we all wish things were different, and that this could've been prevented and not happen at all. I realize most of my posts in here are probably incoherent and illogical. These are just raw emotions. I need to express them. I figure, better to express them here than in a news interview, where my words can be twisted into something else.

For the record, once he was out of AJ, he could not have gotten back inside. The dorms are locked and you need to swipe a card to get inside. Someone let him inside AJ. He had access to his own hall, but that is it. He couldn't have gone anywhere else. Since his dorm was right next to AJ, it is possible that once being told that a student was shot on campus, my colleague, who is the hall director of the shooter's hall, could've shut the dorm down entirely, so that NOBODY could get in. even if they had a card.

but again...this is all irrational and emotional speculation.

Last edited:
they just released the photo. oh my god. i want to throw up. look at all that ammo he is carrying. it is bulging from his vest.

he took that photo in a dorm. the concrete wall lines the halls and the rooms.

oh god. i was watching. they showed that picture. i feel sick. physically ill. like i lost a little piece of my soul.

Kiki said:

oh nonononononononono that's not what I was meaning, I wasn't meaning anything about his parents being responsible. I was just wondering if they were even living in America anymore, that's more of what I was getting at, or if they even had been located. I just found it interesting that I hadn't heard anything about them. I would never blame them...I mean....of course unless they came out and said they supported it or something. But nonononoo I wasn't saying anything against them or against Korean's or anything like that at all.

And oh noooo, I wasn't implying that you were!!! Not at all. I am curious myself, it was simply a general statement.

That photo is just - well, I don't know what to say. It's sick.

All the previous incidents with him seem to be from late 2005. What was going on all of last year? I haven't seen anything of his movements in 2006 - I'm wondering what went on.

Last edited:
unico said:
it is a bomb threat. it is not a residence hall. however, there may have been faculty/staff there. it is our largest auditorium, and an academic building. offices, admissions, etc.

i sincerely hope nobody is there. and i hope that they catch whoever is involved with this bomb threat. it is unsettling to think there are people here who still want to kill. it is like they have been unaffected by all this.

8:35am e-mail from university:
It was reported that suspicious activity was in burssuss hall. Police reponded. The incident was determined to be unfounded.

Police are leaving. I hope hope hope this is over.

I feel bad for you :hug:

I had a similar bomb threat when I was in High School after Columbine happened

Im sorry but I think that was uncalled for on the media's part with showing that picture. Really does anyone need to see that?! Absolutetly sickening to look at.....

Mia just keep on expressing yourself we are not going to judge you on whatever you are incoherent or not. Would rather see you spew it all out than keep it up all bottled up inside.

The way the news is reporting this package is disgusting me to no end. Don't turn on msnbc - they haven't taken his picture down since the story broke (at least everytime I've flipped the channel it's still there). I was just watching Brian Williams and they were talking about how this video is "giving him a voice from the grave" and that it's "terrorizing us after the fact". So, my question is, why show it in the first place? If they really wanted to be so sensitive with this material, they could have given a link on their website for those who were truly curious to see this shit.

Honestly, it didn't take long for the news media to go from 0 to sensationalism, did it? :down:

Well he was one fucked up individual. If they are saying that they reviewed him as mentally ill. Why was nothing done to keep him from society?

I've been in meetings all afternoon, but just read about the package and photos. My homepage was set to MSNBC, but I have to change that now. My god. It is so disturbing.

And Mia, I do not think you have been incoherent at all. I'm amazed at how eloquent and thoughtful all your posts have been. I admire your strength.

:hug:

Justin24 said:
Well he was one fucked up individual. If they are saying that they reviewed him as mentally ill. Why was nothing done to keep him from society?

Exactly. I just don't get it. Teachers were bothered by him and some wouldn't even let him in their classroom and instead taught him one on one. With that said, why wouldn't they pull him out of classes?

ThoraSEB said:
I've been in meetings all afternoon, but just read about the package and photos. My homepage was set to MSNBC, but I have to change that now.

:hug:

cnn

foxnews.com

yahoonews

googlenews

all have the same picture as lead.

It seems that Columbine may have inspired him.

I wonder how many 12-14 year olds are sitting home alone
in front of the T V drinking this in?

i didn't want to learn the contents of the package. but curiosity got the better of me. for the first time, brian williams did not bring me comfort. that was very hard to stomach. it was my own damn fault. i should've listened to deep.

i'm not watching any more news tonight. i'm at my apt now where i don't have cable, which is a wonderful thing.

tonight, my friend and i are just gonna listen to music and paint. i haven't painted in years. so...this should be interesting. hopefully i will do something silly, stain my carpet, get high off turpentine, and forget what has been going on outside of my door, even if just for a few hours.

U2Girl416 said:
I'm just catching up with this latest stuff. this is just sick :down:

all the news shows are analyzing and over analyzing what he must have been thinking, give it a rest. just let this community grieve for what and who they've lost. :tsk:

I guess it's a question of will analyzing this person somehow help us understand and prevent future occurences?

And are we doing the families and friends of those lost injustice by talking about him?

I don't know the answers to these questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom