MERGED--> Shooter loose on Virginia Tech campus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
elevated_u2_fan said:
I can foresee (if it hasn't already started to happen) that students will be required to take "emergency situation" classes to prepare them in the event that something like this occurs.

I find it sad that the number one concern for students and teachers is fast becoming their safety and not their education...

:shrug: most high schools drill the procedure for various emergency situations, i see no reason why colleges can't as well.

we had a lockdown drill two weeks ago... god willing we never have to use it, but it certainly doesn't hurt to test it before hand.

unico said:

i'm a school administator here at vt. all i'm saying is i witnessed things being carried out very differently when we had a shooter on the loose in August. campus CAN be shut down here very easily, as it was as soon as he was spotted.

And you have a VERY different point of view. I do not have any information as to how the procedures were conducted last August.

To me, a college campus is very different from an elementary school of 600 students. It seems to be a massive entity.

And maybe that should factor in. Has the school been in this situation before? Did they handle it differently? Has there been a change in University Staffing on the police level?

Its all Monday morning QBing right now. An investigation will be conducted, and all will be in the light.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

:shrug: most high schools drill the procedure for various emergency situations, i see no reason why colleges can't as well.

we had a lockdown drill two weeks ago... god willing we never have to use it, but it certainly doesn't hurt to test it before hand.

Elementary school sdrill now too.

elevated_u2_fan said:

I find it sad that the number one concern for students and teachers is fast becoming their safety and not their education...

If I can find it I wll post some information about this. In my adminsitrator courses, education was the third thing on parents mind in recent surveys. The number on ething was SAFTEY and SECURITY.

Last edited:
i think the president just flew over. i don't like him very much. i have to say this is an improvement from his response to the katrina floods...but, this doesn't have quite the same magnitude, so he is still not forgiven, at least by me.
i've been thinking, and i'm really blessed that this has happened only once. i shudder to think about the people who experience something like this almost every day. :( i can't even imagine going through this every day.

If this were pre-Columbine or pre-9/11, I could understand the delay in notification by the police. But I had assumed there was a "err on the side of caution" mentality in place by now.

U2democrat said:
:sigh:

It sounds like my friend is in stable condition, and that she'll pull through this.

My prayers go out to those who aren't as lucky.

That's good news, Laura.

[Q]

It sounds like my friend is in stable condition, and that she'll pull through this.

My prayers go out to those who aren't as lucky. [/Q]

My prayers are with everyone involved. To the friends and families.

Peace

I'm utterly disgusted by these people. This was posted on the Westboro Baptist Church website. But I found it on a gossip website. If you know about that psycho Shirley Phelps and her daughter well here they are spouting their disgusting and vile hatred. God, I hate these people!! :sad:

"WBC will preach at the funerals of the Virginia Tech students killed on campus during a shooting rampage April 16, 2007. You describe this as monumental horror, but you know nothing of horror -- yet. Your bloody tyrant Bush says he is 'horrified' by it all. You know nothing of horror -- yet. Your true horror is coming. 'They shall also gird themselves with sackloth, and horror shall cover them; and shame shall be upon all faces, and baldness upon all their heads' (Eze. 7:18).
Why did this happen, you ask? It's simple. Your military chose to shoot at the servants of God today, and all they got for their effort was terror. Then, the LORD your God sent a crazed madman to shoot at your children. Was God asleep while this took place? Was He on vacation? Of course not. He willed this to happen to punish you for assailing His servants."

He left a note in his dorm room

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3048108

Sources tell ABC News Cho bought his first gun, a Glock 9 millimeter handgun, on March 13; they say he bought his second weapon, a .22 caliber pistol, within the last week. The serial numbers on both guns had been filed off, they said.

Authorities found the receipt for the 9 millimeter handgun in Cho's backpack. They say the bag also contained two knives and additional ammunition for the two guns.

Legal permanent resident aliens may purchase firearms in the state of Virginia. A resident alien must, however, provide additional identification to prove he or she is a resident of the state.

Sections of chain similar to those used to lock the main doors at Norris Hall, the site of the second shooting that left 31 dead, were also found inside a Virginia Tech dormitory, sources confirmed to ABC News.

The mood here at my campus today has been very somber. Lots of people are wearing Tech colors. Everyone has a story to tell of someone they know or a friend of someone they know who has been affected by this. There have also been questions of our own campus security...all the "what ifs" if something like this were to happen here.

However we are all coming together as one. It is amazing to log on to facebook, and see all my friends have changed their profile pictures to something related to Tech, and "We are all Hokies". It feels good to see my school coming together like this. TOnight at 8 we're having a candlelight vigil.

I'll never forget this...I doubt any of us will. The magnitude of it all is still sinking in.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18148802/

NBC, MSNBC and news services
Updated: 5 minutes ago
BLACKSBURG, Va. - A 23-year-old senior from South Korea whose creative writing was so disturbing that he was referred to the school’s counseling service was behind the massacre of at least 30 people locked inside a university classroom building in the deadliest shooting rampage in modern U.S. history, the university said Tuesday.

U2democrat said:
The mood here at my campus today has been very somber. Lots of people are wearing Tech colors.

When I visited my sister in Richmond last month my 14 yr old nephew was wearing a Tech hat and said it was where he wanted to go to school. I was the only one in my family who went there except for my father and I had a wave of pride wash over me. I've had emails pouring in from old Tech friends. I don't even have any t-shirts anymore but if I did I'd be wearing one today.

Our campus held a vigil last night, which I missed because I had left before the email went out. There is an interfaith service at our chapel this afternoon. At the cafeteria people were filling out cards of support to send to Tech. As in U2Dems campus, I think the mood here is very somber. Everyone seems to know someone down there.

I have been reading this thread and watching the news and I just want to express my sympathy to everyone affected. Even though I don't live in America, I want to let you know that we are all thinking of you at this time :hug:

When bad people do terrible things

We want to believe that there is something that could have been done by us to prevent it.

Sadly this often is not the case.

Given this known outcome. People are saying that there should have been an immediate shut down or lock down.

Would it have been better to have:

a. all the students fleeing the campus?

or

b. all the students running into buildings and barricading the doors?

unico said:

except for john mccain. i want to punch him in the face.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6562115.stm

way to show some fucking respect asshole.

You know what, this, this more than anything else is what's really making me want to cry. The disrespect that everyone seems to be showing in their rush to cover their own ass'. You know what, I didn't even know about the shooting before I got this email from my school:

It is with great sadness that we learned today about the tragic shootings on Virginia Tech’s campus. While our hearts go out to that campus community, we are also mindful of perhaps some feelings of concern on our own campus. To that end, I want to reassure the entire community that TCU employs security measures that we consider to be among the best. Those measures include:

And it continues in that general direction, not mentioning what happened once. I didn't even KNOW what had happened yet, and this is the way I find out something's up? That is a load of crap in my book.

But Mia and Laura, I"m praying for you, this makes it all more real "knowing" people that are effected by this, and I hope the two of you make it through.

I'm watching the convocation now.

Brian Williams said something a moment ago that gave me chills...one of the handguns used in this massacre was the same type that Sirhan Sirhan used against Robert kennedy. That made my stomach turn even more than it already has.

bono_212 said:

You know what, this, this more than anything else is what's really making me want to cry. The disrespect that everyone seems to be showing in their rush to cover their own ass'. You know what, I didn't even know about the shooting before I got this email from my school:

It is with great sadness that we learned today about the tragic shootings on Virginia Tech’s campus. While our hearts go out to that campus community, we are also mindful of perhaps some feelings of concern on our own campus. To that end, I want to reassure the entire community that TCU employs security measures that we consider to be among the best. Those measures include:

And it continues in that general direction, not mentioning what happened once. I didn't even KNOW what had happened yet, and this is the way I find out something's up? That is a load of crap in my book.

There are a lot of guns in Texas.

I don't know if it is a bad thing for your school to alert people about these security measures, there is always a concern for copy cats?

Last edited:
elevated_u2_fan said:

People have to always blame someone :|

I'm waiting for the "Videogames/Marilyn Manson" angle...

Too late, Dr. Phil already pulled out the videogames are doing this to our children on Larry King last night. :|

Mia, I saw you on CNN last night, and you did beautifully. I started to cry when you spoke about Ryan. :hug:

deep said:

There are a lot of guns in Texas.

I don't know if it is a bad thing for your school to alert people about these security measures, there is always a concern for copy cats?

Which is true, and I see the importance in updating us on what are security measures are so we're night frightened ourselves, but maybe I should've noted, this email was sent out only four hours after all this had happened, it was the first time that day I'd even been out of classes, and so I'm upset that i just got a brief note of what had happened, I don't know if that makes sense or not...anyway...I've convfused myself now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom