MERGED ==> Rioters "Intended to Kill Police" + "Belfast Riots" - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2005, 02:51 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:43 AM
I associate Germany with:

Motorways
Green
'Sunrise' industries
Richness
Forests
Beer

I am weird.

Be interesting to look at a person's stereotypes about different countries though

Old 09-15-2005, 03:12 PM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by LJT
I don't think a unionist U2 fan exists...i have never ever met one or even heard of one...big Ian probably thinks it's the devil's music
As we know Big Ians always right

Good work man on expaining the situation here in full to the good people of Interference it's much appreciated

Old 09-15-2005, 05:35 PM   #78
Schooner

Local Time: 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LJT
I don't think a unionist U2 fan exists...i have never ever met one or even heard of one...big Ian probably thinks it's the devil's music
I've been one for 22 years and know many others. What you said probably says more about you than it does me. Don't think of a community of people as being all of one mind or shared experiences.

Old 09-15-2005, 07:15 PM   #79
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by homerlfc

I've been one for 22 years and know many others. What you said probably says more about you than it does me. Don't think of a community of people as being all of one mind or shared experiences.
Sorry...it was stupid joke that's all...i know plenty of stupid and extremist nationalists...hell people at my school were very small minded and had their own generalisations. It says more about me? Come on, have you never made a generalisation in jest? I am sure you have heard many jokes and repeated some about Sinn Fein, i mean even i have some

If you want to disagree with anything i have said in this thread so far please do...everything i have said has been from my own perspective....which is nationalist.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:20 PM   #80
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I know not every unionist, protestant etc they do not share all the same views, it is hard though when trying to discuss things to avoid all generalisations...i know all people of a unionist disposition are not evil etc...but when your discussing parties and my main focus of late has been the DUP...you have to generalise as a party otherwise i will be going Mr Smith believes this and Mr Davidson this...oooh that Mr Jameson is a bastard...and so on.

I am sorry for offending you i guess iswhat i am saying.

when talking about Republicanism i have to generalise that they are equally as bad as Loyalism..or Nationalism and Unionism at times...i don't even support Sinn Fein...they are one of the main reasons i am getting out of this place.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:39 PM   #81
Schooner

Local Time: 09:43 AM

No problem mate

I live half a mile from the worst of what happened on Saturday and have been feeling incredibly sad about it.

Sorry for saying, "What you said probably says more about you than it does me", I was just a bit surprised by what you said, and now wish I hadn't written that.

You're alright LJT

Peace

Old 09-15-2005, 07:42 PM   #82
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by homerlfc
No problem mate

I live half a mile from the worst of what happened on Saturday and have been feeling incredibly sad about it.

Sorry for saying, "What you said probably says more about you than it does me", I was just a bit surprised by what you said, and now wish I hadn't written that.

You're alright LJT

Peace
Thanks homer...hope you and your family stay safe this weekend...ahh its been kinda rumoured things may kick up again at the weekend...we will see
Old 09-15-2005, 08:43 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

On a side note I don't buy the idea that this is about Protestant versus Catholic. It is more to do with national identity than religion, in my view. Religion is only a side issue.
If you were directing that to me, I do agree with you completely! It'd be like saying the conflict in Chechnya is all about Islam. (of course there are actually many foreign jihadists going in there, but that's a different situation.) Anyway, I do think religion can be used in some perverse way to justify murder and other actions. Thou shalt not kill is an optional commandment apparently.

By the way, completely off-topic, but is Paisley part of the church that is said to discourage sex, as it might lead to dancing?
Old 09-15-2005, 08:53 PM   #84
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

hehe Paisley setup the Free Presybyterians...i don't think they have many followers outside of NI.....
Old 09-15-2005, 11:01 PM   #85
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:43 AM
I've only just stumbled upon this thread and I hope you don't mind me interrupting--violating my lurker status, but only just--to say that I am so glad I stopped.

LJT, your posts have been so informative and interesting. I've got a degree in history and did my senior thesis on Sinn Fein and Gerry Adams, but naturally since I'm American I don't know squat about the situation--or not enough to comment properly, I guess. Thank you for all your posts; I've really enjoyed reading them and look forward to reading more.

What are things like in Belfast now? Are they any quieter? We don't get much info on Northern Ireland over here where I live, especially right now with all the news on the hurricane.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:17 AM   #86
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Thank you

Well the violence has died down over the course of the week...there is still sporadic trouble in some places but not enough to cause major harm.

There have been loyalist protests all week though which have closed roads...which has meant the city has been shutdown basically everday from 4 in the afternoon onwards, as businesses are shutting earlier so their employees can get home safely...this has of course led to gridlock at this time. The city is just out of business. The economy and tourist sector here will take major hits from all this.

There are worries that the violence may pick up again tonight or tomorrow since it is the weekend...so everyone will be off work to take part in any rioting....but we will see what happens. Hopefully there will be very little trouble.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:24 PM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I hope not. Hundreds/Thousands of people with molotov cocktails and guns usually results in more than injuries eventually.

some people are idiots
Old 09-16-2005, 10:14 PM   #88
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
I hope not. Hundreds/Thousands of people with molotov cocktails and guns usually results in more than injuries eventually.

some people are idiots
well i have not heard tell of any trouble yet...just protesting...i think we may be in the clear.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:15 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

cool.

(thanks again for that video, it was nice to see them get the audience into it by the end. how do you save wmv files though, I don't want to lose it and I can't seem to be able to save)

edit: nevermind, I'm real smart.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:20 AM   #90
The Fly

Local Time: 03:43 AM
Having parents from Northern Ireland, One is Catholic one was protestant I have studied the politics of "troubles" most of my life.
I spent my summers there growing up....and well remember the "troubles" in the 70's....Right now I have my wee lass Kat who is like my daughter here in Texas and she is staying longer than expected.....she saw a immigration atty and is getting a vissa to immigrate and work....her whole family is getting out!!! Susan