MERGED ==> Rioters "Intended to Kill Police" + "Belfast Riots" - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2005, 06:25 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:14 AM
I hope not.

Old 09-12-2005, 06:29 PM   #32
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:14 AM
Hopefully not but at this rate the loyalists are likely to pull some nationalist areas into the violence....then i fear that will be sufficient to make some form of the republicans retaliate.

Old 09-12-2005, 06:36 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:14 AM
right...hope you're able to avoid any violent confrontations over there.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:45 PM   #34
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Thanks darlin
Old 09-12-2005, 09:11 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I hope not that we need to wish you luck, but look after yourself.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:40 PM   #36
Refugee

Local Time: 10:14 AM
Wait a minute. What Orange parade is this? I thought they were on July 12th every year? That's bad enough..now they have to have MORE? Is this some sick joke of Sir Ian's that is intended to kill the Sinn Fein "promise"?

Lovey idea of Ian Paisley's.....LOVELY Idea. I see he has made no statement. If Trimble was still there he would have denouced the rioters, at considerable politicl and maybe even literal risk. Fat chace with THIS bastard in power.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:22 AM   #37
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

There have always been more Orange parades than just on the 12th....they have a whole season of parades over the summer...its the way it has always been
Old 09-13-2005, 06:01 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Teta040
Wait a minute. What Orange parade is this? I thought they were on July 12th every year? That's bad enough..now they have to have MORE? Is this some sick joke of Sir Ian's that is intended to kill the Sinn Fein "promise"?

Lovey idea of Ian Paisley's.....LOVELY Idea. I see he has made no statement. If Trimble was still there he would have denouced the rioters, at considerable politicl and maybe even literal risk. Fat chace with THIS bastard in power.
Orange Parades happen throughout the summer, the 12th is the climax of the marching season.

Ian Paisley has made a statement about people playing into the hands of the Republicans and the only person rubbing their hands with joy would be Gerry Adams.

LJT, I come from A/town but we moved out 8 years ago now.

Quote:
as far as these riots, are they arresting anyone? it seems to me shooting and throwing bombs at the police is a serious offense, and frankly it seems like their response was even a little lighthanded. I'd have to wonder what would happen if mobs started shooting and attacking police in New York.
They arrested 19 people last night.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:57 AM   #39
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I moved into Andytown...not sure many people do that
Old 09-13-2005, 07:09 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Well I moved into it too but I was around 4 at the time and have very little recollection of it. I don't think about it too much (we've actually moved out 9 years now and I still feel like the new people) but I do miss our neighbours and friends I had there, I went back recently for a funeral and they were all so lovely. Everyone here is reluctant to speak to each other. I also miss people talking about going to the "front of the road".

You know, you think it's awful but we left to move to a mixed, middle - upper class area and we've had nothing but trouble. We have had our windows smashed, our car damaged, our bins stolen and set alight. Our parents and neighbours have spoken to the childrens families (they are all teenagers now of around 13 - 17) and they don't stop them coming out to torture people.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:20 AM   #41
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Do you know St Annes? I am down the street across from it..Riverdale Park East...its not a bad street...the top of its ugly and the joyriders like to use the pitch right behind my house other than that not too bad

hehe i used to live on 'the front of the road' i used to live across from the Rock Bar onn the Falls Road...it is quite a hole down there now. Aldo's is still going strong though(chippy)

I guess it's just Belfast really....everything that happen's here just seems normal to me at least...hehe i will probably miss the riot reports when i go to Bristol
Old 09-13-2005, 07:33 AM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Of course I know Riverdale. I used to live near the dole office.

I'm moving to Spain in a week for a year. I will definitely miss Belfast, I've lived here my entire life. It's such a shame people only think certain things about it because of news like this. I really hope they calm down though, I have a life to lead and I can't do it when I can't get on a bus and all the shops close early.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:46 AM   #43
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Good luck in moving to Spain
Old 09-14-2005, 09:14 AM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie

This is probably one of those moments when I'd be better off keeping my mouth shut. Oh well. Just some random thoughts on the whole thing (assuming it's finally over. The BBC dropped it from the national headlines yesterday I think):

1. When that BBC bloke said what the riots really showed was not so much a political stance as that NI still had a culture of violence he was right. And that's the problem. How the heck do you rid a place of such a culture? Do you really think Hain/Blair are up to it? I don't. Not when you consider places like Nottingham being called the 'gun crime capital of the UK' (Hope you're enjoying uni there btw Nikki!). I mean who'd have dreamt that Nottingham would have turned out that way in the 60s?

2. The moment when the couple whose business was completely destroyed by an arson attack said they didn't blame the person who threw the petrol bomb, they blamed the government. I think that comment says a lot. And I don't just mean their reluctance to blame their 'own side' but instead be united against 'the enemy' . It also reflects just how frustrating anyone (whether unionist or loyalist) finds the current situation. Creating SF was the most sensible thing the IRA ever did because now you've got to talk to them (they're being democratic) and you've got to listen (because if you don't...). But to a lot of people, talking to SF is talking to terrorists and to a lot of people you just don't do that (remember the fuss over Mo going into Maze prison to talk to the inmates?). To them it must seem like NI is going all out to rejoin the ROI. Apppinting Peter Hain as NI Secretary, being so close knit with SF, the dragging of heels over bringing NI back into line with the rest of the UK by having an Assembly, and Blair seems to give the impression that he would be very glad to see NI leave the UK. It scares them and it's no wonder loyalist paramilitaries are behaving as they are because they can see their power slowly slipping through their fingers. It's no wonder the two extreme political parties are getting elected. The loyalists are scared of what they're losing whilst Republicans see either SF as a foil to the loyalist voting or see the quick gains they're making. Either way, the two parties that hate each other's guts getting elected is not the way forward. Where's Trimble and Hume when you need them?

3. Yeah, I really do want NI to stay in the UK. I know that because I'm English, I'm not meant to feel like this. I know that I'm supposed to say things like "we'd be better off without you" or "whatever you want; we'll do". Of-course if the majority of people in NI want to leave the UK then of-course leave, I'm not advocating some sort of occupation thing here! I won't say the reason I want NI to remain because it'll sound so stupid but it's an important reason to me.

Still the ROI has only existed since 1949, the Irish Free State just a couple of decades before that. That's no time at all in the grand scheme of things. The idea of NI and ROI being united again could happen comparatively simply (key word being comparatively!) it's not as if you're trying to unite two places that have been completely separate for centuries. Heck, the UK will probably end in the not too distant future if the right events keep happening. Maybe NI would be better off with the rest of Ireland. Maybe one day the separate UK countries will begging to join the ROI! Who knows?

Please discount those last two paragraphs, they don't really make sense (in fact nor does the whole of point two really...) but I don't want to delete them after typing all that crap.

Well, wherever NI belongs I just hope it's a peaceful one. That doesn't seem likely but hey, we can hope. And Lara, enjoy Spain and I don't think Belfast is as the worst city ever. In fact I think all things considered it seems to have dragged itself up well. It may not have gone under the miraculous transformation that the Northern English cities have (Newcastle, Manchester, Liverpool etc) but given everything that's gone on there I think it's done well to get as far as it has.

I should have probably just let this thread die but I did want to put my views forward, however crazy, naive and downright wrong they may be.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:41 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

There was nothing in the news today I think, are the riots over again?
I hope so and I hope nobody lost his life.