MERGED ==> Rioters "Intended to Kill Police" + "Belfast Riots" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2005, 08:40 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:41 AM

I saw that on the news

Old 09-12-2005, 08:48 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:41 PM
I am scared the R. IRA could decide not to respect its declaration to lay down the weapons.

I hope this is an episode that is not going to repeat...

Old 09-12-2005, 09:51 AM   #18
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by popshopper
The UDA and UVF have ended their ceasefire.

Expect a lot of Catholics to be killed in the next couple of weeks to goad the IRA into action.

Also expect the PSNI, the British Army and the media to go after the loyalists in the same way they went after the IRA....not.
Strike that, the head of the PSNI, Hugh Orde was misquoted.

The loyalists are still on ceasefire, such as it is.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:22 AM   #19
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Btw Lara i do agree that the police have acted better on these current riots, but i think that is because they have been forced to as they are getting shot at.

Bah the unionists are claiming the police were heavy handed and needlessly brutal I always knew the unionists lived in cuckoo land...oh wait i do live in cuckoo land its called Northern Ireland

How can you be heavy handed when your getting shot at

If you boil this down it makes it sound like the stupidest thing on the planet:

'We were not allowed to march where people didn't want us...so lets riot'

There is no governement here just a constant political vacuum...Hain the Northern Ireland secretary has said he will specify the UVF, UDA etc which basically means nothing...the British government will probably declare their supposed ceasefires over but that won't change anything...the British government and police here will not invest resources like they did against the IRA we will be lucky if we get a statement from Blair on this.

Here won't change for years to come...the IRA can disband all it wants, but republicans there will still be, and loyalists of some sort to...what's sad is really the British government don't want anything to do with the unionists, and down south they don't want want anything to do with the nationalists up here..i can not really blame them...who wants Northern Ireland? we are just a problem to the British and why the hell would the Republic want a united Ireland (i consider myself a nationalist)...down south they are having a brilliant time, 8th highest living standard in the world...Northern Ireland would just be trouble
Old 09-12-2005, 10:45 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Extremists of any kind are a pain in the neck. I just wish these idiots would realize all they're causing is destruction.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:01 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LJT
Btw Lara i do agree that the police have acted better on these current riots, but i think that is because they have been forced to as they are getting shot at.

I thought I had mentioned that, it was very early this morning when I commented.

As for your point about change, a lot of people are bred to have hate for the "other side" - I don't see things changing anytime soon. The sad thing is it's only a minority in both sides of the community that cause this trouble. If they were allowed to march the nationalists in Ardoyne would have rioted again. Most people don't want their lives to be dictated by the parades or the riots afterwards.

I live about 7 minutes away from the estate where they were checking peoples licences. I am thankful that my parents purposely gave me the most English sounding name they could think of (the tradition in our family is to pass on Irish grandparents names), I drive past there all the time. I live in the middle of one of the places quoted in those articles. I can go two different bus routes and each route takes me past places where they have hijacked cars, rioted or stoned vehicles so I can't go out for fear I can't get a bus home again or I will be on the bus that is hijacked. I don't care if the Orange men can march or not, whatever the outcome people are forced to stay in their houses, because it brings thugs out into the streets and leaves the police in the middle with everyone laying the blame on someone else.

I still think Belfast is a great place to live, I think it is unfairly portrayed in other parts of the world because this is the only type of news that is well documented. On the whole I love it here. This is one of the few things I won't miss about it though.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:34 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

I've merged the two threads on this subject, unfortunately I think this may make a few posts appear out of sequence so I apologise for that.

Can I also remind people to please check this thread about posting newspaper articles.

Thanks.
*Fizz.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:42 PM   #23
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Lara i hope you stay safe luckily there has been very little trouble in West Belfast...i believe the aim of the loyalists is to try and get the IRA to respond...the paramilitaries need the tension to survive

I am sorry to say though but i hate Belfast...i live in Andersonstown if you know where it is, and it is one of the most small minded places in the world....people in Belfast seem to think there is no world outside of Belfast...i am going to Bristol uni and most people seem to treat it like i am going to the moon. People i find here are just small and petty minded a lot of the time...that is because of the troubles here...and Belfast as a city is not great either. Well that is just my personal experience of here

I am tired of everything that happens, ahh the news has just been annoying me today, the unionists are not condemning the attacks and are making excuses for it
Old 09-12-2005, 04:02 PM   #24
War Child

Local Time: 07:41 AM
Re: Re: Rioters "intended to kill police"

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

You honestly believe that Loyalists are responsible for EVERY SINGLE act of violence that occurs over there???
Of course not you're right they're both to blame
Old 09-12-2005, 04:21 PM   #25
Schooner

Hello LJT,

I live close to you but far away, if you know what I mean. You always speak good sense. Well done, to you.

Old 09-12-2005, 05:31 PM   #26
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

thanks Homer, hope your staying safe too

I am just fed up with things here, each side is as bad as each other in many respects...it winds me up at times, even though we are used to it.

Old 09-12-2005, 05:56 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

LJT

don't get too down on your city, you should see the murder rates in some of the cities over here. only they don't have a national movement to hide behind typically.

as far as these riots, are they arresting anyone? it seems to me shooting and throwing bombs at the police is a serious offense, and frankly it seems like their response was even a little lighthanded. I'd have to wonder what would happen if mobs started shooting and attacking police in New York.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:07 PM   #28
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

In New York they would be shot dead probably...

Umm i don't think there have been any arrests as far as i know..certainly none have been reported...the police would probably be too afraid to enter loyalist areas to make arrests as they would get attacked or spark more riots.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:09 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

yeah that's true, it would probably stir up more trouble. it doesn't seem fair that certain groups of people can go out and cause such trouble on the weekend, and then continue on with their week without being held accountable for their actions.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:18 PM   #30
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

who said they were stopping at the weekend

Blast bombs have already been thrown at police tonight in North Belfast, and crowds have been gathering since about 9...we will see the damage report tomorrow...but if the tension keeps up the violence may spread closer to me