MERGED: Please Place All Comments on Hussein's Capture Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'll humbly admit that i applaud GW for accomplishing his seemingly impossible mission.

but as for claiming that there will be world peace and safety long after this is... well, you know. :slant:

now, i don't want to start a controversy. but really deep inside of me i was kind of rooting for sadam.
not because of him though. Yes he was a cruel and vicious dictator who deserves every punishment he can get.
...but because of the US. I don't like the idea that the US can do and undo whatever it wants just to get its objectives done. It isn't right. The UN clearly did not want the US to attack Iraq. Still the US moved on.
...so, the US capable of disregarding the UN whenever its president deems necessary.

do you think that is right??

...i don't

FREE YOUR MIND

Cheers

Last edited:
I don't feel like the U.S. should get what it wants just because it is the U.S. or Anyone X is President. This is really a matter of the Iraqi people, not us. That being said I don't think the Iraqi people were exactly pulling for Saddam as a whole. Arabs do not like brutal dictators either. Jean Sasson's next book is going to be about an Iraqi woman who went through hell under Saddam. She got busted for an anti-government crime she did not commit. She spent time in one of Saddam's jails, a truly horrific experience. She managed to escape, and made her way to Amman, Jordan, and some semblence of freedom. Once she'd made it there she called up Sasson, who'd she met while Sasson was visiting Baghdad. I think the Iraqi people want hope, and they'd like to believe that their lives will get better under a government of their choosing. I have criticisms over some of the particulars of the recent policies, including the apparent lack of an exit strategy. We've debated this ad infinitum here and have our disagreements. But I just hope the Iraqi people don't have to put up with any more brutal dictators or rulers they don't like. I'd hate it if I didn't have the choice of voting against Bush next year. The Iraqi people should have no less.

There has never been a war in history that has had more UN resolutions supporting it than the current war to remove Saddam from power. UN resolutions 678, 687, and 1441 all authorized the use of force to bring about compliance.

Saddam failed to comply and now he is being brought to justice.

Sting -- those UN resolutions are not declarations of war. They specifically had to do with WMDs. Which we still haven't found.

As for the capture, I am glad that is over with and I'm proud of the troops that worked so hard to get to that point.

BUT....where is bin Laden? He killed people on our soil. he killed American soldiers on the USS Cole. He killed Americans in two African embassies. He killed Americans living in Saudi Arabia. Why did we give up on the search for him to go after Huessin? And what could we have accomplished if we kept troops in Afghanistan instead of moving them to Iraq? We are still under the threat of terrorism from one of the most evil men on the face of the earth. and this time, it has nothing to do with Huessin.

Last edited:
sharky said:
Sting -- those UN resolutions are not declarations of war. They specifically had to do with WMDs. Which we still haven't found.

As for the capture, I am glad that is over with and I'm proud of the troops that worked so hard to get to that point.

BUT....where is bin Laden? He killed people on our soil. he killed American soldiers on the USS Cole. He killed Americans in two African embassies. He killed Americans living in Saudi Arabia. Why did we give up on the search for him to go after Huessin? And what could we have accomplished if we kept troops in Afghanistan instead of moving them to Iraq? We are still under the threat of terrorism from one of the most evil men on the face of the earth. and this time, it has nothing to do with Huessin.

resolution 683 was a cease fire.
he did not live up to the obligations of the cease fire.
resolution 1441 recognized that he did not live up to the cease fire.

The resolutions also had to do with many more obligations other than WMD.....

and....the search for OSAMA has not stopped why do you think it has?

BrownEyedBoy:

I do like the message in your signature quote, but I am sorry for you that the guy you were pulling for got caught.

~U2Alabama

Last edited:
At no time has the United States stopped looking for Bin Ladin. There were two US divisions primarily responsible for defeating Iraqi forces during the war, the US Army 3rd Infrantry Division and the 1st Marine MEF. These two divisions were not being used nor were they ever planned to be used in the hunt for Bin Ladin.

The USA has kept nearly 15,000 troops in Afghanistan, more than were on the ground when the Taliban were pushed from power 2 years ago.

The CIA, FBI, and multiple intelligence services from other countries accross the planet have continued to hunt Bin Ladin, even as the war in Iraq began.

Last edited:
verte76 said:
I don't feel like the U.S. should get what it wants just because it is the U.S. or Anyone X is President. This is really a matter of the Iraqi people, not us. That being said I don't think the Iraqi people were exactly pulling for Saddam as a whole. Arabs do not like brutal dictators either. Jean Sasson's next book is going to be about an Iraqi woman who went through hell under Saddam. She got busted for an anti-government crime she did not commit. She spent time in one of Saddam's jails, a truly horrific experience. She managed to escape, and made her way to Amman, Jordan, and some semblence of freedom. Once she'd made it there she called up Sasson, who'd she met while Sasson was visiting Baghdad. I think the Iraqi people want hope, and they'd like to believe that their lives will get better under a government of their choosing. I have criticisms over some of the particulars of the recent policies, including the apparent lack of an exit strategy. We've debated this ad infinitum here and have our disagreements. But I just hope the Iraqi people don't have to put up with any more brutal dictators or rulers they don't like. I'd hate it if I didn't have the choice of voting against Bush next year. The Iraqi people should have no less.

Exactly.

I agree with those who say that the Iraqi people should punish him. They're the ones who've been tortured for a long time, they deserve to exact justice (that, and the fact that the U.S. supported Saddam for so long also factors into my belief that we shouldn't be the ones to punish him).

I'm glad someone else feels that the Iraqis would like to run things their way. In order for them to be completely free, they need to do that-it'll be a real achievement for them. And it might help the Arabs look at us in a more favorable light-it'll let them think that we trust them (and I'd love it if we managed to get peace talks going between Israel and Palestine next, but if that didn't happen and our government decided to threaten to not support Israel anymore financially or whatnot unless they stopped what they've been doing to Palestine, it'd be harsh, yes, but if it got Israel to leave Palestine alone, well...).

I would also love it if our troops pulled out of Iraq now, too. But with the talk of possible retaliation from the Saddam supporters...that might not happen anytime soon. And if we are going to find Osama, I hope it's not within a month or two of the election next year, or else that's gonna look awfully fishy to some people.

Yeah, that's a lot of hopes to have at a questionable time right now...but maybe someone out there will have the sense to start allowing at least a couple of these things to happen. It'd be a small step forward.

Also...I just want to add myself to the list of people who are thrilled Saddam's been captured. I hope he gets a sound punishment for his evils.

Angela

STING2 said:
Saddam's crimes have not just been against the Iraqi people. Look at what he did to Kuwait in 1990. Thousands of Kuwaiti's are still missing. Iran lost over 300,000 troops from a war that Saddam started. Saudi Arabians living in border towns near the Kuwait border suffered when Saddam sent Iraqi divisions into Arabia. Saddam launched multiple Scud Missiles against Saudi Arabia. He also flooded the Persian Gulf with Kuwaiti oil causing massive environmental damage as well as setting hundreds of oil wells on fire.

Lets not forget his launching of Scud Missiles against Israel and his support of terrorism against Israel.

Violation of 17 UN Security Council Resolutions passed under Chapter VII rules of the UN and the Ceacefire Agreement.

Taking hundreds of foreigners (called guests) hostage during the run up to the first Gulf War. The abuse of American POWs.

Saddam's violations and crimes go well beyond what he did to the people of Iraq.

So having said that, how/where do you think he should be tried?
The only three options as I see it are Iraq, US, the Hague.

US couldn't be done. Obviously everyone would just label it 'show trial' and wonder what the point is.

Most reports I've read on this question today suggest the US will try and do eveything to keep it away from the Hague because the nature of the trials there mean all sorts will be brought up.
Saddam Hussein himself would have a lot of dirt up his sleeve and his 'defense' of himself would be aimed at in a sense switching the spotlight from himself and putting the US on trial. He could pull up all the countries doing dodgy backroom deals with him (hello France!) for the last decade and more, put the legality of the US invasion on trial, the WMD's will come up again, Israel will have to go a few rounds with him and goodness knows what he knows about Israeli/US 'whatever' in the Middle East... anyway, he'd get found guilty of virtually eveything in the Hague, but people are worried he'd be able to give a nice big "F*ck You" on his way out the backdoor and the repercussions of that could be at the very least extremely embarrassing for a number of nations/groups at the very worst could be extremely dangerous. Obviously, due to this, many, many people will push for the Hague.

Iraq seems like the best option. As long as the situation in the ground in Iraq doesn't collapse too much further between now and then. If it does he may be able to rally some kind of martyr thing. If not, it would be the best way, and symbolicaly I think the Iraqis deserve to dish it out themselves.

Am I the only one that's kinda wondering....why did he allow himself to be captured? I mean, without a fight? Am I giving him too much credit to think he still has something up his sleeve? Am I paranoid? Do I need to double the dose of my prozac?:eyebrow:

I oculdn't believe it. I'm glad they got him. He must have been thinking, might as well die as live in that dirty old hole.

vlasak said:
Am I the only one that's kinda wondering....why did he allow himself to be captured? I mean, without a fight? Am I giving him too much credit to think he still has something up his sleeve? Am I paranoid? Do I need to double the dose of my prozac?:eyebrow:

When there's 20 guns pointed at you and you would have to pick up a pistol from your lap and bring it over your head to maybe get off one or two shots before being killed, I think he knew he didn't stand a chance. So much for dying a martyr. Besides, he probably can't wait to mouth off at his trial.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Geez, at least he could have tidied the place up a bit before they got there :D

How rude of US forces! They could at least call before dropping by. Uninvited guests :angry: The house is never clean when they show up!

I just saw the place where they found him on CNN. Egads, quite a difference between that place and those palaces. What on earth are the Iraqis going to do with those palaces?

U2Bama said:
BrownEyedBoy:

I do like the message in your signature quote, but I am sorry for you that the guy you were pulling for got caught.

~U2Alabama

thanks....

but i wasn't really "rooting" for saddam. i am aware he has affected many innocent lives.
it's just that a small part of me isn't happy with the fact that the US can do anything it wants. it isn't fair. some of the things the US have done have been wrong. like them helping people from panama gain their independence from colombians because panama would benefit the US as to the panama canal. (don't really want to get into history that much...im sure you know what im talking about) ....it's stuff like that.

this latin singer/songwriter named Ricardo Arjona said that the whole world should be able to vote for the US pres. "If the guy has control over the bomb that could fall in my backyard....i would like to able to elect him." It makes sense.

(btw, im not trying to pick a fight. im just saying what i think....i may be wrong...easily. :wink: )

Peace:

I think Saddam should be tried in Iraq, but it may take some time before they are ready and prepared to do that.

I agree with the poster above......

These people deserve the right to put him on trial in their country, under their own laws.

So sorry UN.

jordanian-in-love.jpg

I guess it takes all kinds.:madspit:

just an observation from my corner of Africa. I was sitting with Malian friends having my hair braided when we heard the news on Radio France. The general feeling was one of disbelief. As the girl braiding my hair told me, "Saddam is a bad man, but Bush is also very bad and the war was wrong." This morning at work people were looking at the photo printed in the newspaper and saying that they didn't think it was really him. Essentially, the mood is that the US was the aggressor and that they think they can do anything they want. I don't know how many times I have been asked "Why did you elect Bush? He likes violence too much. He thinks America is the only country in the world."

So there are some reactions from a third-world country with a majority moderate Muslim population. Not that anyone will care, but it never hurts to get a look at the outside world, n'est-ce pas?

from letterman last night

the republicans claim they captured saddam hussein. we think otherwise...

bush arrested santa.

paid for by howard dean for president.

Top Ten Questions Asked By Saddam Hussein When He Was Captured

10. "Be honest...have you ever seen a nicer spider hole than this?"

9. "Who's got a coat hanger -- this beard itches like a son of a bitch!"

8. "Anyone have a mint?"

7. "Is this about the illegal music downloads?"

6. "Am I going to be on 'Cops'?"

5. "Which describes me better right now -- 'haggard' or 'grizzled'?"

4. "How did you get past my impenetrable styrofoam brick?"

3. "Do I get the 25-million-dollar reward?"

2. "How's the war going?"