MERGED --> Peter Jennings 1938-2005 + Goodbye, Peter Jennings.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peter Jennings 1938-2005

Just heard on a new's break on NBC that ABC News anchor Peter Jennings has died after his battle with lung cancer, at the age of 67.
I had heard he had lung cancer but no idea it was that progressed..

My heart goes out to his children and family..

Wow. My thoughts are with his friends and family.

I can't believe it.
Rest in peace, Peter Jennings.

I have older relatives who still remember him on TV here in Toronto. He will be missed.

When I was a homesick student in India, I used to head across town once a week to the US Consulate, to watch a clumsily edited montage of that week's top stories from ABC World News Tonight. Of course, I could have gotten all these stories by reading The Hindu or The Times of India, but that wasn't the point. It was just so soothing and reassuring to see and hear the familiar North American facial expressions and accents I'd been missing. And above all, silly though it sounds, it was comforting to have the familiar persona of Peter Jenkins presiding over the whole experience. Previously, I would have scoffed at the idea that a news anchor could have had that powerful a cultural presence.

A bit of a shock, 'cause he'd just announced his cancer thing recently and talked about getting treatment for it.

Very sad to hear this. He was well-respected, and really seemed to care about the job he was doing, really seemed to care about the people he was doing stories on/the public who heard the stories and stuff. Such a shame. And yes, 67 is too young an age to go.

Condolances to all his family and his friends. R.I.P., Peter :( :sad:.

He was the only anchorman I cared to listen to. Don't think there is anyone else I'll watch.

Peter Jennings was always my favorite of the Big 3. He always struck me as such a straightforward, respectful man. Journalism will be a little less classy without him.

:(

Mr. Jennings was the last of a dying breed, a true journalist. As someone who is sick and tired of the pretty faces and airheads that are getting journalism gigs, I had a great admiration for Mr. Jenning's respect for the craft and the audience. He will be missed. Godspeed, Mr. Jennings.

And on a lighter note, I really like Mr. Jennings as a kid because his last name Jennings sort of sounded like my name, Jennifer.

I was always a great fan of the primetime documentaries that Peter Jennings was a part of on ABC. He anchored a fascinating look at the origins of Christianity/search for the historical Jesus, did a very politically incorrect and risky doc. on Ecstasy, and pulled off a program on UFO's that managed to actually be intellectual, entertaining, and skeptical at the same time. I only hope ABC continues that tradition. He will be missed.

Peter Jennings will definitely be missed. He had a Saturday morning radio show in Ottawa at age 9. He never completed high school or college and began his career as a news reporter at a radio station in Brockton, Ontario. He quickly earned an anchor job at Canadian television. Jennings was picked to anchor the evening news and made his debut on Feb. 1, 1965. He was 26. But this is just a brief excerpt of his career as........ "news" was his journey through time.

He reported the news.....he reported history {he chose to describe it as a cliche....a rough draft of history. Some days it's reasurring, some days it's absolutely destructive.}

:|

:( I certainly can't imagine anyone in broadcasting right now who can come close to filling his shoes. Jennings was my favorite broadcaster since the time I got interested in national & world news, probably about age 15/16 (and that's been a while, let me tell ya'!).

He was an exemplary journalist in the truest sense of the word and it'll be a long time coming before there's another who can hold a candle to him.

Godspeed Mr. Jennings - and God's peace to your family. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom