MERGED--> Pat Robertson Warns of Disaster... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2005, 01:24 PM   #31
War Child

Local Time: 06:32 PM
I saw a clip of Keith Olberman the other day chatting about the Robertson and O'Reilly ridiculousness and he seemed to be saying something about O'Reilly removing the Coit Tower comments from his website?
Any more on that little story? I'd hope he'd apologize for such crap? OR does he chalk it up to righteous anger?

It's surely easy enough to laugh at these sorts of stories, but what's freaking me out is the degree to which its become accepted, the level of ire in public debate. That O'Reilly would react to voters making decisions about how they want to handle military recruiting in their schools by advocating/hoping for/joking about extraordinary violence...That Pat Robertson would react to voters deciding to maintain the separation of church and state by advocating/hoping for/joking about their deserving God's wrath for such affrontery...that the obnoxious twit Tucker Carlson would joke about how respectable and right it was for the French gov't to blow up Greenpeace vessels because he just doesn't like Greenpeace or thinks they deserve a good whack....
On the one hand, it looks like just over-emoting in the political commentary sphere...like punk rock ethics maybe...the equivalent of a great big 'oh yeah, well fuck you' response. But it seems to me tied to the kind of scary shit where...for instance....church groups from Kansas come to places like Ann Arbor to warn us all about how God's wrath visits us due to gays and the people who don't hate them. I haven't covered how or if it actually went down, but I read about how this anti-gay group from Kansas was planning on leaving their enclave to come and protest the staging of a play here in Ann Arbor about the killing of Matthew Shepard. They believe God, with the tsunami and katrina and even the recent tornados in the midwest (huh? don't those happen rather often? any spate of oh, nascar pileups or some such we can point to as well? are the recent white sox and red sox worldseries wins relevant too?) is showing how pissed he is at us all I guess for not stoning to death the homosexuals among us and they're traveling in caravans to tell us, in places like Ann Arbor where we not only don't shun gay folk but actually have the audacity to stage plays about them.
As my hubby pointed out, its like the opposite of the freedom riders....the oppression riders, as it were.
*that* scares me; and I think it's totally encouraged by the comments made by people like O'Reilly and Robertson and Carlson.
That they speak to a seething little cauldron of intolerance and roil it further, spurring it on to take road trips for example.

I hope that in churchs around the country there are ministers countering the shit that came from Robertson this week...I just kept frankly feeling embarassed to be wearing my One band knowing he's even part of their campaign, ick. I know that he's got his whole network and all, but I get a little disgusted imagining that in some small way maybe his involvement with the campaign has given him more audibility or credibility, yech.

anyway...cheers all...

Old 11-16-2005, 03:41 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ShellBeThere
I read about how this anti-gay group from Kansas was planning on leaving their enclave to come and protest the staging of a play here in Ann Arbor about the killing of Matthew Shepard. They believe God, with the tsunami and katrina and even the recent tornados in the midwest (huh? don't those happen rather often? any spate of oh, nascar pileups or some such we can point to as well? are the recent white sox and red sox worldseries wins relevant too?) is showing how pissed he is at us all I guess for not stoning to death the homosexuals among us and they're traveling in caravans to tell us, in places like Ann Arbor where we not only don't shun gay folk but actually have the audacity to stage plays about them.
Oh, gee, that's...charming .

Anywho, I personally am not one to get any pleasure out of attacking these people. Just merely commenting on what I see as idiotic comments-I'm too disturbed by what people like Pat Robertson or Bill O'Reily or people like that say to find it amusing, actually.

Angela

Old 11-17-2005, 03:36 AM   #33
War Child

Local Time: 10:32 PM
Was Pat theguy who urged Christians to assassinate the President of Venezuela ? If so... I love loonies!
Old 11-17-2005, 05:27 AM   #34
The Fly

Robertson may be crazy but stupid, hard to say. Ignorable (if that's a word)?

The guy nearly beat freaking George HW Bush for the presidential nomination some years ago.

Thats life i guess. I certainly won't be bothering to get my baseball bat, i prefer to just let it slide.

Sliiiiiiiide.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:32 AM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:32 PM
God Denies Links to Pat Robertson

http://politicalhumor.about.com/gi/d...es%5Flink.html
Old 11-17-2005, 11:43 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Did God deny it under oath and who does He swear on?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:34 PM   #37
She's the One

Local Time: 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

That is so funny!
Old 11-17-2005, 04:55 PM   #38
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:32 PM
Quote:

Old 05-18-2006, 08:38 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

I can sleep soundly tonight knowing that God is a weatherman and that he shares his forecasts only with Pat Robertson. Too bad he didn't tell Pat about the flooding in New England so that everyone could have evacuated.

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- The Rev. Pat Robertson says God has told him that storms and possibly a tsunami will hit America's coastline this year.

The founder of the Christian Broadcasting Network has told viewers of "The 700 Club" that the revelations came to him during his annual personal prayer retreat in January.

"If I heard the Lord right about 2006, the coasts of America will be lashed by storms," Robertson said May 8.

He added specifics in Wednesday's show.

"There well may be something as bad as a tsunami in the Pacific Northwest," he said.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:54 AM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

"Storms" will hit the coastline? You don't need a hotline from God to tell you that one.

So if everything is so bad, why is his headquarters at Virginia Beach of all places? There's nothing more laughable than fairweather Christians spending year after year wishing for gloom and doom.

Melon
Old 05-18-2006, 09:37 AM   #41
The Fly

God told me we might have an earthquake in California.........
Old 05-18-2006, 04:16 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Quote:

"If I heard the Lord right about 2006, the coasts of America will be lashed by storms," Robertson said May 8.

I can do Pat one better. God told me that the storms will happen along the east and gulf coasts sometime between June 1st and November 30th.

Old 05-18-2006, 04:23 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern

I can do Pat one better. God told me that the storms will happen along the east and gulf coasts sometime between June 1st and November 30th.

Only a real expert would make a bold prediction like that. Have you ever considered a career in meteorology?
Old 05-18-2006, 05:38 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:32 PM
Quote:
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- The Rev. Pat Robertson says God has told him that storms and possibly a tsunami will hit America's coastline this year.

The founder of the Christian Broadcasting Network has told viewers of "The 700 Club" that the revelations came to him during his annual personal prayer retreat in January.

He added specifics in Wednesday's show.

"There well may be something as bad as a tsunami in the Pacific Northwest," he said.
Is he writing for the National Enquirer or The Globe?
Old 05-18-2006, 11:08 PM   #45
Refugee

Weather predictions......another fear to ponder at night......along with the HURRICANES!!!
{pardon me....but I just spotted a spider...must take care of it}....