MERGED--> Nukes for this nut-job? + Iranian nukes - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2006, 11:08 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 05:33 AM
Nukes for this nut-job ?

During the Iran-Iraq War, the Ayatollah Khomeini imported 500,000 small plastic keys from Taiwan. The trinkets were meant to be inspirational. After Iraq invaded in September 1980, it had quickly become clear that Iran's forces were no match for Saddam Hussein's professional, well-armed military. To compensate for their disadvantage, Khomeini sent Iranian children, some as young as twelve years old, to the front lines. There, they marched in formation across minefields toward the enemy, clearing a path with their bodies. Before every mission, one of the Taiwanese keys would be hung around each child's neck. It was supposed to open the gates to paradise for them.

At one point, however, the earthly gore became a matter of concern. "In the past," wrote the semi-official Iranian daily Ettelaat as the war raged on, "we had child-volunteers: 14-, 15-, and 16-year-olds. They went into the minefields. Their eyes saw nothing. Their ears heard nothing. And then, a few moments later, one saw clouds of dust. When the dust had settled again, there was nothing more to be seen of them. Somewhere, widely scattered in the landscape, there lay scraps of burnt flesh and pieces of bone." Such scenes would henceforth be avoided, Ettelaat assured its readers. "Before entering the minefields, the children [now] wrap themselves in blankets and they roll on the ground, so that their body parts stay together after the explosion of the mines and one can carry them to the graves."
These children who rolled to their deaths were part of the Basiji, a mass movement created by Khomeini in 1979 and militarized after the war started in order to supplement his beleaguered army.The Basij Mostazafan--or "mobilization of the oppressed"--was essentially a volunteer militia, most of whose members were not yet 18. They went enthusiastically, and by the thousands, to their own destruction. "The young men cleared the mines with their own bodies," one veteran of the Iran-Iraq War recalled in 2002 to the German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine. "It was sometimes like a race. Even without the commander's orders, everyone wanted to be first."

advertisement

The sacrifice of the Basiji was ghastly. And yet, today, it is a source not of national shame, but of growing pride. Since the end of hostilities against Iraq in 1988, the Basiji have grown both in numbers and influence. They have been deployed, above all, as a vice squad to enforce religious law in Iran, and their elite "special units" have been used as shock troops against anti-government forces. In both 1999 and 2003, for instance, the Basiji were used to suppress student unrest. And, last year, they formed the potent core of the political base that propelled Mahmoud Ahmadinejad--a man who reportedly served as a Basij instructor during the Iran-Iraq War--to the presidency.

Ahmadinejad revels in his alliance with the Basiji.

Full story here

http://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml?i=20060424&s=kuntzel042406

Old 04-22-2006, 11:14 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:33 AM
It's interesting how suicidal some cultures can be, and Islamic societies seem to be on top of the list.

Melon

Old 04-22-2006, 11:24 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:33 PM
That sickens me.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:53 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:33 AM
Basiji = Delta Force / SEALS / Green Berets

High risk forces??
Old 04-22-2006, 02:28 PM   #5
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

High risk forces??
"These children who rolled to their deaths were part of the Basiji,"

"They have been deployed, above all, as a vice squad to enforce religious law in Iran, and their elite "special units" have been used as shock troops against anti-government forces. In both 1999 and 2003, for instance, the Basiji were used to suppress student unrest."

Green Berets and Delta Force being used to suppress student unrest, bringing in children to detonate lanmines ?

I'd say "apples and oranges", but we're not even in the same produce category here
Old 04-22-2006, 04:17 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

High risk forces??
The Delta Force/SEALS/ Green Berets while conducting dangerous missions accomplish their task by avoiding detection and keeping actual combat to a minimum.

As for the comparison, the Basiji and Delta Force/SEALS/Green Berets are exact opposites in just about every way imaginable.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:58 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Like I said:

Bush and Ahmadinejad have a similar fanbase. Christofascists...Islamofascists...what's the difference anymore?

Melon
Old 04-22-2006, 08:09 PM   #8
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Like I said:

Bush and Ahmadinejad have a similar fanbase. Christofascists...Islamofascists...what's the difference anymore?

Melon
One wants to nuke me because I'm an infidel, the other wants to stop that from happening.

And I'm no fan of Bush.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:41 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Like I said:

Melon
Neither one respects the rights of the unbeliever.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:28 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by toscano
One wants to nuke me because I'm an infidel, the other wants to stop that from happening.
Take that logic from the Iranian POV and it's exactly the same.

"Bush wants to nuke me because I'm an infidel. Ahmadinejad wants to stop that from happening."

Melon
Old 04-23-2006, 03:22 PM   #11
Refugee

Quote:

"Bush wants to nuke me because I'm an infidel. Ahmadinejad wants to stop that from happening."

Melon
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

The US has had nukes for what ? 50 years ?

Bush has been in power for what ? 6 years ?

If we'd wanted to nuke them, it would have happened by now.

Funny post though !

Thanks
Old 04-23-2006, 03:30 PM   #12
Refugee

Quote:

Melon
Oh, and when did the idiot Bush, or any evangelical "Christian" ever actually call Iranians "infidels" ? That term is uniquely reserved for non-Muslims by Islam.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:30 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:33 PM
Quote:

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

The US has had nukes for what ? 50 years ?

Bush has been in power for what ? 6 years ?

If we'd wanted to nuke them, it would have happened by now.

Surely not during the Iran/ Iraq war when the U.S. made nice business with arms..

Already back in business with Iraq while American soldiers still die there, are we!

Country-Date-Transmission-No.-Description-Transfer-Type-Price

Iraq 8/4/2005 DDTC 035-05 Defense services, technical data and defense articles related to armored security vehicles (ASV APCs) and armored security vehicle command vehicle for end-use by the Iraqi Ministry of the Interior/Civil Intervention Force in Support of Operation Iraqi Freedom Direct Commercial Sales >$50 million

Iraq 4/25/2005 DDTC 001-05 Military trucks and vehicles Direct Commercial Sales >$100 million

Iraq 3/10/2005 05-17 Six T-56A-7 engines and logistics support for C-130 aircraft to include supply and maintenance support, flares, software upgrades, pyrotechnics, spare and repair parts, support equipment, publications and documentation, personnel training and training equipment, fuel and fueling services, U.S. Government and contractor engineering and logistics support services, and other related elements of logistics support Foreign Military Sales $132 million

Iraq 7/14/2003 DTC 01IZ-03 Certain body armor, nuclear, biological and chemical protective equipment, and military equipment (such as small arms and ammunition) for use in reconstituting the Iraqi military or policy forces (or interim forces) Special
Old 04-23-2006, 05:42 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:

Oh, and when did the idiot Bush, or any evangelical "Christian" ever actually call Iranians "infidels" ? That term is uniquely reserved for non-Muslims by Islam.
Ha right, they are just on the "axis of evil" and now face a first strike threat potentially using "tactical" nulcear weapons. But surely we shouldn't look past labels and rhetoric to see bullshit and call it out in case empathizing with the enemny looks like sympathy. Nope, can't have that, might actually lead to peace.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:52 PM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy

Ha right, they are just on the "axis of evil" and now face a first strike threat potentially using "tactical" nulcear weapons. But surely we shouldn't look past labels and rhetoric to see bullshit and call it out in case empathizing with the enemny looks like sympathy. Nope, can't have that, might actually lead to peace.
I've never seen anyone quite as gifted at creating labels and catchphases and repeating them ad nauseam until they filter down into the vernacular of the masses, as the Bush administration.