MERGED--> NH predictions + Hillary's win + NH recount? - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2008, 11:30 PM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
I thought the Republican debate was very interesting. I think McCain threw in one too many unnecessary shots at Mitt, though, who was definetely on the defensive all night.
I don't like Mitt in any sense of the word, but McCain came across as really petty and smug.

I actually liked Huckabee a lot, he sounded like a normal, civilized guy. I can see why he'd get the populist support, because he's likeable, non-threatening and knows when to shut up.

The whole debate was like watching a clown car.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:38 PM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:48 AM
Quote:

And, as with every single previous debate, about a million mentions of "this administration."
More accurately, "the failed policies of this administration."

Old 01-05-2008, 11:41 PM   #93
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

I don't like Mitt in any sense of the word, but McCain came across as really petty and smug.

I actually liked Huckabee a lot, he sounded like a normal, civilized guy. I can see why he'd get the populist support, because he's likeable, non-threatening and knows when to shut up.

The whole debate was like watching a clown car.
Agreed. I don't think the Republican debate was any better, and in certain parts, it was actually worse than the Democrats.

This might improve Huckabee's numbers here more than I originally thought now.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:08 AM   #94
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 02:48 PM
Ron Paul rocked the Republican thing, and I believe McCain was very strong. Huckabee and Romney stayed in it.

My -ugggggh- factor for the Fredhead and Ghoul-ee-oneee could not be greater.

My Dems were less spice and surprisingly nice. Richardson and Edwards regained a bit of space, and I feel Barack and Hillary hit a bit of tie.

Let's see what happens Tuesday, but I am still on Barack and Roll.

And frankly, Kucinich would have made the tiny Dem debate more fun, and -f--- them for leaving him out.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:11 AM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Here's how Time.com rated the master debaters tonight:

Democrats:

Obama A-
Edwards B+
Clinton B
Richardson B-

Republicans:

McCain A-
Giuliani B+
Thompson B-
Huckabee B-
Paul C+
Romney C+
Old 01-06-2008, 12:22 AM   #96
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

People can make all the promises they want, but you don't get far in Washington without compromising a lot, and you end up accomplishing a lot less than you originally planned. That pretty much goes for everyone.
Having the same party in the White House, Senate, and House (with decent majorities) will help expedite legislation. E.g. a better energy bill is needed - the last one was too light. The Dems will pass a tougher one.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:55 AM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
With good reason.
I don't know about that. I could certainly understand them using "this administration" with the frequency they do if Bush was up for re-election, but he isn't. It just makes them look desperate and quite obsessed, if you ask me.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:25 AM   #98
Refugee

Local Time: 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Are you being paid to promote this guy or something?
Nah. I'm working for free.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:32 AM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen

McCain A-
Giuliani B+
Thompson B-
Huckabee B-
Paul C+
Romney C+
I think I'd swap Romney and Giuliani. McCain did the best, with Romney right behind him.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:37 AM   #100
Refugee

Local Time: 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
Here's how Time.com rated the master debaters tonight:

Democrats:

Obama A-
Edwards B+
Clinton B
Richardson B-

Republicans:

McCain A-
Giuliani B+
Thompson B-
Huckabee B-
Paul C+
Romney C+

Paul definitely won that thing.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:37 AM   #101
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:48 AM
Quote:

I don't know about that. I could certainly understand them using "this administration" with the frequency they do if Bush was up for re-election, but he isn't. It just makes them look desperate and quite obsessed, if you ask me.
To be honest, I kinda agree... but for different reasons.

I think it was mentioned way too much. It's a given, almost in both parties, Bush is not liked, he's a failure. Even some of the greatest apologist are admitting this. They were beating a dead horse, I also think they fought too much amongst themselves, so did the Reps...
Old 01-06-2008, 05:03 AM   #102
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Yeah, that's what I said.

He lost in a very embarassing way in 2000, his own campaign had financial issues already this time around, and he's kissing too much evangelical ass...

This doesn't speak well of his experience to me. Experience doesn't automatically make you a leader.
Yet, you still support a Democratic Party that Bush has literally crushed for most of the past 7 years. McCain losing in the primaries in 2000 is one thing, the Dems losing to Bush for most of the past 7 years is another.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:23 AM   #103
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
as for the debate right now, it's kind of bah, but Obama hit the question on the "surge" out of the park.
A laughable response in that he just repeated the standard Democratic BS rhetoric in spite of the facts on the ground. All he is doing is trying to find words that will please his base and political fortunes in the Democratic party. He doesn't have a clue about what to do in Iraq. Is he still pushing for the withdrawal of all US combat troops by March 31, 2008 as he was in the beginning of the year or does he still plan to have them there beyond 2013? He has zero background in national security, and his advisors have failed to adequately prepare him on this particular issue. Even though Hillary is now bending over to sound more pro-withdrawal on this particular issue, at least she brought out many points about the difficulties of a withdrawal, something I've never seen Obama go in to much detail about in a debate.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:29 AM   #104
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

That kind of deal can only lead one to conclude that McCain is also stupid, because even an idiot could see that Bush's blessing and/or endorsement in 2008 could only serve to hurt you immensely. They can't even mention his name in public anymore.

I think its ignorant to ignore what McCain has been involved in and done in regards to REAL policy issues facing this country and the world over the past 50 years, and simply base his intelligence on something that is actually inaccurate and largely irrelevant when thinking about someone who is best able to handle the most important issues facing this country. Better to have someone that has been on the job for the past half century on these issues and right about most of them, than someone that has only a few years experience and is already shown himself to be wrong and ignorant on the most vital issues facing this country.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:37 AM   #105
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

To be honest, I kinda agree... but for different reasons.

I think it was mentioned way too much. It's a given, almost in both parties, Bush is not liked, he's a failure. Even some of the greatest apologist are admitting this. They were beating a dead horse, I also think they fought too much amongst themselves, so did the Reps...
Registered Republicans still approve of the way Bush is doing is job by more than 70%, and most of the Republican candidates still fundamentally support Bush on most of the major issues.