MERGED--> NH predictions + Hillary's win + NH recount? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #76
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 02:09 PM
A little more info on that...

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/Vote...3790360&page=3
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/19/us...pagewanted=all
Quote:
Leading up to the 2000 South Carolina Republican presidential primary, opponents spread false rumors about the origin of the McCains' then-7-year-old daughter Bridget. The McCains adopted Bridget from Bangladesh in 1991, but opponents—the senator believes the Bush campaign, but it has denied it—used push-polling to make voters believe that he had fathered a black child out of wedlock. [Thousands of voters contacted by the push-pollers were asked "Would you be more likely or less likely to vote for John McCain if you knew that he fathered an illegitimate black child?" Dozens of radio station talk show hosts were also called to ask what they thought about McCain's 'black' 'out of wedlock' child. --y.]

Bridget, who is now 15, found out about the incident only a year ago when she Googled herself. Mrs. McCain McCain said Bridget was confused and hurt by the discovery.
Quote:
People in some areas of South Carolina began to receive phone calls in which self-described pollsters would ask, “Would you be more likely or less likely to vote for John McCain for president if you knew he had fathered an illegitimate black child?” It was a reference to Bridget, who was adopted as a baby from an orphanage in Bangladesh and is darker skinned than the rest of the McCain family. Richard Hand, a professor at Bob Jones University, sent an e-mail message to “fellow South Carolinians” telling recipients that Mr. McCain had “chosen to sire children without marriage.”

Literature began to pepper the windshields of cars at political events suggesting that Mr. McCain had committed treason while a prisoner of war in North Vietnam, that he was mentally unstable after years in a P.O.W. camp, that he was the homosexual candidate and that Mrs. McCain, who had admitted to abusing prescription drugs years earlier, was an addict. “You had a sense of besiegement daily,” said Mark Salter, a longtime aide to Mr. McCain.

The McCain team had trouble nailing down the origin of the dirt. “One time in Hilton Head, we chased these punks down the block who were handing them out,” said State Representative James H. Merrill, the Republican state majority leader, “and when we got to them and asked them where they got them, they said some guy in a red pickup truck said, ‘Hey do you wanna make $100?’”
__________________

__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 10:19 PM   #77
Refugee
 
Infinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,188
Local Time: 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




he is for the war in Iraq, even for another century.

he is pro-life.

however, he has been known as a "maverick" for a reason, and i do stand up and applaud him on two points:

1. he has avoided and spoken out against the "brown peril" racist anti-immigrant mentality that has taken over the GOP
2. he spoken out, passionately, against the Bush torture policies.

and even his position on Iraq is defined by his differences from Bush and from especially Rumsfeld. in fact, McCain sounds like a left-wing Democrat when he unloads on the incompetence and arrogance of the former SOD.

those things i admire.

(not sure where McCain stands on whether or not gay people are equal to straight people -- on suspects that he's like most politicians who have no personal problems with gay people, but knows that their constituents are a bunch of bigots, so they pull the line, just as everyone in washington knows that there's quite the rumor that pro-life McCain was perfectly fine with his daughter's abortion when she was 17).
I see.

Maybe you should take a look at Ron Paul. He is against torture, he for equal rights of straights and gays, and of course, he is against the War in Iraq.

Just a suggestion.
__________________

__________________
Infinity is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 10:34 PM   #78
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 08:09 AM
Question: Has Bill Richardson ever balanced a budget?

I'm not sure it's been made clear enough.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #79
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 03:09 PM
Obama and Clinton didn't really answer that last question at all.

Great question though!
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,065
Local Time: 08:09 AM
That was kind of a blah debate.

I really like Obama and think he would be a great president at some point, but I continue to worry that he's not ready for it. Half of a term in the Senate sure isn't a lot of time. He's obviously an inspiring speaker, a great motivator, and very smart, but you know, I think experience still has to account for some things, especially in this day and age.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #81
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 09:09 AM
I'm sensing some sexual tension between John Edwards and Hillary.

Bill better watch himself.
__________________
U2isthebest is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 10:50 PM   #82
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,054
Local Time: 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Infinitum98
I see.

Maybe you should take a look at Ron Paul. He is against torture, he for equal rights of straights and gays, and of course, he is against the War in Iraq.

Just a suggestion.
Are you being paid to promote this guy or something?
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 01-05-2008, 10:52 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,255
Local Time: 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan


I really like Obama and think he would be a great president at some point, but I continue to worry that he's not ready for it. Half of a term in the Senate sure isn't a lot of time. He's obviously an inspiring speaker, a great motivator, and very smart, but you know, I think experience still has to account for some things, especially in this day and age.
Be careful about saying such radical things around here, though. I bring up that exact same point, and I get pounced on.
__________________
2861U2 is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 10:53 PM   #84
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
Be careful about saying such radical things around here, though. I bring up that exact same point, and I get pounced on.
George W. Bush.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 10:54 PM   #85
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,290
Local Time: 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
That was kind of a blah debate.

I really like Obama and think he would be a great president at some point, but I continue to worry that he's not ready for it. Half of a term in the Senate sure isn't a lot of time. He's obviously an inspiring speaker, a great motivator, and very smart, but you know, I think experience still has to account for some things, especially in this day and age.
But there's something to be said for a president who hasn't yet been totally cynicised(whether that's a word or not I don't know) by the Washington machine.
__________________
namkcuR is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #86
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,065
Local Time: 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR


But there's something to be said for a president who hasn't yet been totally cynicised(whether that's a word or not I don't know) by the Washington machine.
The key word there is yet. I don't know if anyone in recent history has been able to withstand the "machine" that is Washington politics once they get there.

People can make all the promises they want, but you don't get far in Washington without compromising a lot, and you end up accomplishing a lot less than you originally planned. That pretty much goes for everyone.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 11:22 PM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 07:09 AM
Who's the true agent of change? Not counting past tense forms of the word, by my count, here's a breakdown by candidate.

Hillary Clinton -- 23 utterances of "change"
Barack Obama -- 15 utterances of "change"
John Edwards -- 14 utterances of "change"

Not bad for only 90 minutes but I was expecting more from Edwards.

Number of "God love all of you for making this argument" that were received from the moderator Charles Gibson.

Democratic panel of debaters -- one
Republican panel of debaters -- zero

No surprise there.

It was a nice touch to have debaters from both parties mingle between debates however.
__________________
INDY500 is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 11:25 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,255
Local Time: 08:09 AM
I thought the Republican debate was very interesting. I think McCain threw in one too many unnecessary shots at Mitt, though, who was definetely on the defensive all night. But Romney still did very well, I thought. It was certainly more interesting than the Dem debate. I only saw about half of it, but it seemed
__________________
2861U2 is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 11:26 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,255
Local Time: 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500
Who's the true agent of change? Not counting past tense forms of the word, by my count, here's a breakdown by candidate.

Hillary Clinton -- 23 utterances of "change"
Barack Obama -- 15 utterances of "change"
John Edwards -- 14 utterances of "change"

Not bad for only 90 minutes but I was expecting more from Edwards.

Number of "God love all of you for making this argument" that were received from the moderator Charles Gibson.

Democratic panel of debaters -- one
Republican panel of debaters -- zero

No surprise there.

It was a nice touch to have debaters from both parties mingle between debates however.
And, as with every single previous debate, about a million mentions of "this administration."
__________________
2861U2 is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 11:30 PM   #90
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 07:09 AM
With good reason.
__________________

__________________
Diemen is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com