MERGED--> NH predictions + Hillary's win + NH recount? - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2008, 06:38 PM   #526
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:05 AM
The gender v. race thing doesn't surprise me. In our society, it's far more "acceptable" to be a sexist pig than a racist bigot. Even take FYM as a microcosm - there are things said here by certain posters about women, that if they were said or insinuated about blacks, I have no doubt we would not see them around. Posting pictures of witches on broomsticks, for example. Think of an equivalent black stereotype cartoon being posted by Obama and can you imagine the reaction?

So no, frankly it doesn't surprise me at all.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:55 PM   #527
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 11:05 AM
Can FYM endorse Obama?

We'd make headlines.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #528
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:05 AM
^^Good question! That would be awesome!
Old 01-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #529
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
The gender v. race thing doesn't surprise me. In our society, it's far more "acceptable" to be a sexist pig than a racist bigot.
I will say, though, that I can remember having similarly uncomfortably mixed feelings about Jesse Jackson's run in 1988 (Bradley effect, anyone?). I did not ultimately see him as a strong candidate. But much of the criticism of him, including from the left, was unmistakably 'subtly' tinged with that undertone of 'Come on, he's black, what did you expect--of course he's not competent enough.' And yes I do still have my doubts whether we've progressed enough beyond that. It's just that this time there are not one, but two, potential 'trump cards' at play, as well as enough other weighty factors which have little or nothing to do with those, to make the whole thing near-impossible to parse.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 01-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #530
Refugee

Local Time: 05:05 AM
What's with the Hillary win in NH???

O.K.
Why???
or should the real question be How???
How could ALL the polls be so completely wrong - it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. How could Obama be over 10 points ahead in most polls hours before election and end up losing. Was it the last minute "woman vote"? Was it the "tearful moment"??
Was it voting machine fraud??? What the hell happened?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:08 PM   #531
Refugee

Local Time: 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
The gender v. race thing doesn't surprise me. In our society, it's far more "acceptable" to be a sexist pig than a racist bigot. Even take FYM as a microcosm - there are things said here by certain posters about women, that if they were said or insinuated about blacks, I have no doubt we would not see them around. Posting pictures of witches on broomsticks, for example. Think of an equivalent black stereotype cartoon being posted by Obama and can you imagine the reaction?

So no, frankly it doesn't surprise me at all.
You are right, it is more acceptable to be sexist than racist. But it does work both ways. It is acceptable to be sexist against both men and women, not just women.

In our society when asked: "Why do you want Hillary as President?" If someone says "We need a women President," or "It is about time we have a women President," these are acceptable answers and are sexist against men.

If if was Ron Paul vs. Hillary in the race and someone were to ask "Why do you want Ron Paul as President?" And if the answer would be "We need a man President," that person would be yelled at and would be called sexist and it would be very unacceptable.

So it is a double standard. But you are right, sexism is more acceptable than racism, but that includes sexism against men as well.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #532
Blue Crack Supplier

But sexism against men is incomparable to sexism against women, really. It's just so infrequent in comparison.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #533
Refugee

I don't know how frequent it is. But it does exist. Anybody who says they want Hillary to win because she is a women or that we need a women President is sexist.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #534
Blue Crack Supplier

It does exist, but it's not an issue like sexism against women is. It's much smaller than that.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #535
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Infinitum98
I don't know how frequent it is. But it does exist. Anybody who says they want Hillary to win because she is a women or that we need a women President is sexist.
I don't think that is necessarily true.

As a woman, I would like to see a female president in my lifetime. I think when 50% (or more?) of the country is female, it is not unreasonable to want to see that glass ceiling broken. Likewise, I think it's unacceptable that ONE out of your NINE Supreme Court justices is a woman. Particularly given the strength of your law schools and that admissions have been skewing towards females for years now. The Canadian Supreme Court is not only headed by a woman, but is comprised nearly of half women.

I would want my daughters to look around and see that any position, political or otherwise, is open to them someday.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #536
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:05 PM
There are always going to be idiots who would vote for so-and-so for President simply and only because s/he happens to be female/black/from my denomination/from my home state/whatever. That's something entirely different from having a conditioned, and most likely less-than-fully-conscious, psychological barrier against ever voting for a woman/black man/Mormon/etc. to overcome.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 01-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #537
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 11:05 AM
/plz go back to the re-tooled FYM primaries.

I changed my vote from Dennis to Barack.

And in fact.

We have already endorsed Barack overwhelmingly~!!!

I am going to talk to Joel and Kim about writing a piece for the main page.

Barack and roll!
Old 01-09-2008, 07:22 PM   #538
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
It does exist, but it's not an issue like sexism against women is. It's much smaller than that.
But how can you say it is not an issue? You are basically saying it is not that important because it doesn't happen as often. It is an issue of course. Men are affected by it, so it is important and it is an issue and there is nothing wrong in making a point of it.

This is like saying that racism against Hispanics is not an issue like racism against African-Americans is, because it is much smaller. So what? No matter how smaller or bigger, if it exists why not talk about it? Hispanics are humans too, just like African-Americans are. Same way that men are humans too, just like women.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #539
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

Apparently the Democrats can't either. They're equally divided.
But it's been down between two canidates the whole time for the Dems, the Republicans have been all over the place. You've switched, Diamond's changed 3 or 4 times, along with many others and the media.

Quote:

Alright, John McCain is not 137, and even if he was, he's got just as much energy as anyone in the race. His victory speech last night was amazing. Much better than anything I've heard Obama give thus far.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:29 PM   #540
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Alright, John McCain is not 137, and even if he was, he's got just as much energy as anyone in the race. His victory speech last night was amazing. Much better than anything I've heard Obama give thus far. If you think he's got no shot, just wait. You might be surprised.
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR

Hell no. Obama is leaps and bounds ahead of any of the other candidates on either side in terms of speaking ability. His speeches thus far have been transcendent. And poetic. And inspiring.

And whether you admit it or not, McCain's age is a real issue. Right now his health seems to be fine and his energy level appears to be fine as well, but whether that will last over four, let alone eight, years is another matter entirely.