MERGED--> NH predictions + Hillary's win + NH recount? - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2008, 10:37 PM   #346
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 03:56 AM
NPR just called NH for Hillary.

That _________.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:39 PM   #347
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
I'm hanging out for the returns. It's early.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:39 PM   #348
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Hillary is by no means my first choice (for a number of reasons) BUT the one thing that I like about her and the Clintons in general is that they have no qualms about playing dirty. Do you think they would allow someone to swiftboat them? Yarite. They would either hit back hard or hit first to begin with.
I believe that in the general, more people would turn out to vote AGAINST her than for her. She would fire up the GOP more than any of the GOP candidates.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:40 PM   #349
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat

I think you're misinterpreting me.

If Hillary is the nominee, I truly believe the Republicans will beat her.

What I mean by Bush tactics is not having anything to do with conservative or liberal, it's how they manipulate people and money to get their way.
Well, you said four more years of a Republican presidency, so that's how I gauged it.

I don't think the Republicans will beat either Clinton or Obama.

And I think manipulation is used by everyone anyway, so
Old 01-08-2008, 10:41 PM   #350
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
I don't understand why a projection would be made when these college towns - which everyone was saying could make a difference - are still unaccounted for.
Even though the percent remains close, the actual vote margin has grown and I don't think that these towns will be enough to overcome the lead. These are NH college towns that are still fairly small. I could be wrong, but that gap probably will get closed but not enough to overcome.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:41 PM   #351
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I believe that in the general, more people would turn out to vote AGAINST her than for her. She would fire up the GOP more than any of the GOP candidates.
Maybe, maybe not. I'm not so sure conventional wisdom has held up at all this year thus far.

And the reality is that everyone will be playing for a handful of states anyway. Such is the electoral college. This is why the talk of any person, including Hillary, being unelectable, is sort of silly.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:41 PM   #352
Blue Crack Addict

You're certainly more optimistic than I am about the Republicans losing in November. I can only hope you're right.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:42 PM   #353
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Maybe, maybe not. I'm not so sure conventional wisdom has held up at all this year thus far.

And the reality is that everyone will be playing for a handful of states anyway. Such is the electoral college. This is why the talk of any person, including Hillary, being unelectable, is sort of silly.
Agreed.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:42 PM   #354
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by blueyedpoet
From her own lips and positions. She even voted for a resolution which escalated the tension with Iran. Did she not learn her lesson from the previous vote?
Maybe this shows how much I've disconnected with the ultra-pacifist bloc, but sometimes you do need to take a hard stance with a potentially dangerous government, rather than letting them walk all over you.

Jimmy Carter had an oddly interesting balance between the two. His public persona was rather harmless; he just let his hawkish (and debatably neoconservative) National Security Advisor, Zbigniew Brzezinski, do all the dirty work for him.

Between him and his last Federal Reserve chairman appointee, Paul Volcker, Carter certainly was tougher than a lot of people give him credit for.

I'm concerned that many Democrats want to ignore reality and live in a wholly pacifist fantasyland. Of course, I understand that much of this has to do with how fabricated Iraq was. That doesn't mean, however, that all of our potential external threats are wholly fabricated.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:43 PM   #355
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail

Even though the percent remains close, the actual vote margin has grown and I don't think that these towns will be enough to overcome the lead. These are NH college towns that are still fairly small. I could be wrong, but that gap probably will get closed but not enough to overcome.
True, and only a certain percentage really live in NH, making the actual numbers even smaller.

Still, I'm surprised they are calling it before even one of the town's results are in.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:43 PM   #356
Blue Crack Supplier

Yeah, this is over. Clinton's lead is increasing as more precincts report. She's ahead by 7000 votes now (4%).
Old 01-08-2008, 10:43 PM   #357
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:56 PM
Here's a question for all of you who are a little more politically savvy than I - CNN is showing that Clinton is winning the popular in NH, but Obama has more delegates than she does. Does that mean that he would still technically 'win' NH because more state delegates would vote for him at the convention?
Old 01-08-2008, 10:45 PM   #358
Anu
Editor

Edwards is not giving up.

It is going to Super Tuesday for sure.

Richardson and Kucinich won't give up either.

Strong support for the minority three is more than enough reason for many of us to go Obama all the way.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #359
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Anu
Edwards is not giving up.

Did he say that in his speech?
Old 01-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #360
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

It's not just the GOP getting their hate on over her that I worry about. I know independents and even some Dems who dislike her so much they would stay home or vote for a third-party candidate/write in rather than vote for her. I'm not saying I agree with this personally - if she does get the nomination I would vote for her over whoever the GOP nominee turns out to be even though she isn't my first or even second choice - but that attitude is definitely out there.