MERGED--> NH predictions + Hillary's win + NH recount? - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-08-2008, 01:04 AM   #226
Anu
Editor
 
Anu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Posts: 1,695
Local Time: 11:05 AM
This is why I love Obama:

__________________

__________________
Stand up to rock stars!
Anu is offline  
Old 01-08-2008, 01:39 AM   #227
Anu
Editor
 
Anu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Posts: 1,695
Local Time: 11:05 AM
And this:


Obama's double magic

By allowing voters to both vent their anger and overcome it, while embodying the transcendence of America's racial wound, Barack Obama offers not just hope, but alchemy.

By Gary Kamiya


Salon \
U.S. Democratic Party Presidential candidate Barack Obama

Jan. 8, 2008 | Barack Obama's stunning victory in Iowa was a moment of national alchemy. It represented an outpouring of righteous Democratic anger, and its simultaneous transformation into hope. That double process -- the cathartic expression of rage, and its purification -- is exactly what Democrats have needed after seven nightmarish years of Bush. It is politics both as payback, and as spiritual transcendence. And the fact that it is a black man who is serving as America's philosopher's stone, turning the base metal of bitterness into the gold of forgiveness, is extraordinarily moving. The possibility that our nation's deepest wound, and the source of our political divisions, could also be the agent of our redemption is like a banner appearing in a darkened sky.

"Redemption" is a big word, perhaps too big for the profane world of politics. It is important to remember that the idea of Barack Obama and the reality of the man are not necessarily the same thing. If the senator from Illinois becomes president, he may or may not do a better job than his two worthy Democratic rivals. But there are times when the symbolic aspect of politics is inescapable -- and creates its own reality. Obama offers something neither Hillary Clinton nor John Edwards does: The chance to decisively slam the door on the Bush era, the Bush war and its Democratic enablers, while simultaneously forgetting them. It is a politics of therapeutic forgetting. And after the Bush years, both anger and creative oblivion are necessary.
__________________

__________________
Stand up to rock stars!
Anu is offline  
Old 01-08-2008, 04:12 AM   #228
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Anu
This is why I love Obama:

__________________
maycocksean is offline  
Old 01-08-2008, 09:04 AM   #229
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 11:05 AM
Is South Carolina in February?
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 01-08-2008, 09:11 AM   #230
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Anu
And this:


Obama's double magic

By allowing voters to both vent their anger and overcome it, while embodying the transcendence of America's racial wound, Barack Obama offers not just hope, but alchemy.

By Gary Kamiya


Salon \
U.S. Democratic Party Presidential candidate Barack Obama

Jan. 8, 2008 | Barack Obama's stunning victory in Iowa was a moment of national alchemy. It represented an outpouring of righteous Democratic anger, and its simultaneous transformation into hope. That double process -- the cathartic expression of rage, and its purification -- is exactly what Democrats have needed after seven nightmarish years of Bush. It is politics both as payback, and as spiritual transcendence. And the fact that it is a black man who is serving as America's philosopher's stone, turning the base metal of bitterness into the gold of forgiveness, is extraordinarily moving. The possibility that our nation's deepest wound, and the source of our political divisions, could also be the agent of our redemption is like a banner appearing in a darkened sky.

"Redemption" is a big word, perhaps too big for the profane world of politics. It is important to remember that the idea of Barack Obama and the reality of the man are not necessarily the same thing. If the senator from Illinois becomes president, he may or may not do a better job than his two worthy Democratic rivals. But there are times when the symbolic aspect of politics is inescapable -- and creates its own reality. Obama offers something neither Hillary Clinton nor John Edwards does: The chance to decisively slam the door on the Bush era, the Bush war and its Democratic enablers, while simultaneously forgetting them. It is a politics of therapeutic forgetting. And after the Bush years, both anger and creative oblivion are necessary.
I love that article. It articulates exactly what I love about Obama. I also happen to think he has the policies and plans to take this country in the right direction, but the hope he gives is a major factor.
__________________
U2isthebest is offline  
Old 01-08-2008, 09:14 AM   #231
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,979
Local Time: 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Is South Carolina in February?
January 19th
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 01-08-2008, 09:56 AM   #232
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 11:05 AM
WOW she got beat by even Richardson? Ouch!

It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the state plays out.

When the polls close at 7 I'll have the ready!
__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 01-08-2008, 10:24 AM   #233
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 06:05 AM
I voted this morning. I tried to gauge other people's preferences while waiting in line.

I now think Obama is going to win in a blowout. At least that was the feeling I got.

Still, I don't truly understand the animosity towards Clinton at times. It really seems unfair to me. Damn her for being a woman with a brain.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 01-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #234
Anu
Editor
 
Anu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Posts: 1,695
Local Time: 11:05 AM
It's not the gender card that has hurt Hillary among Democrats if we mean that Democratic men cannot support a woman who is smart. It's a bit more complicated than that.

But if you want to bring up the gender card because female Democrats dislike her dispassionately and love Barack passionately, well that's another story.
__________________
Stand up to rock stars!
Anu is offline  
Old 01-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #235
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 06:05 AM
I'm curious as to why it's more complicated than that for men, though. I'm a guy, and I don't have an issue with her.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 01-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #236
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
ntalwar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,900
Local Time: 06:05 AM
From a somewhat anti-Hillary site, so probably a bit biased:

Quote:
Message, not gender, turns voters off Clinton

...

"None of the polling or the focus groups indicate that people are ... (snubbing) her because she is a woman but because of a deficit in how she is projecting leadership," Wolf said.

"If anything, she is too entrenched, too competent a leader. She ... has been on the world stage and people (voters) are sick of people who are ... on the world stage," she said.

Obama captured overwhelming support among young voters in Iowa. Clinton, on the other hand, was flanked by politicians from years past on the night of the Iowa result, including her husband and former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright.

...
http://www.hillaryproject.com/index....s_off_clinton/

ETA:
It's also on Yahoo now:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080108/..._leadership_dc
__________________
ntalwar is offline  
Old 01-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #237
Blue Crack Distributor
 
LarryMullen's POPAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
Posts: 53,698
Local Time: 06:05 AM
I'm really torn on this whole Hilary thing. Yes, I can see why voters would be turned off by the possibility of having another Clinton in the White House after 8 years of another Bush, but when you think about what happened the last time a Clinton was in office as opposed to Bush now, it's not exactly a bad thing.
__________________
LarryMullen's POPAngel is offline  
Old 01-08-2008, 04:50 PM   #238
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,979
Local Time: 06:05 AM
ABC News' Karen Travers Reports: New Hampshire Deputy Secretary of State Dave Scanlan told ABC News that turnout among primary voters today is "absolutely huge" -- and there are concerns about running out of ballots in towns like Portsmouth, Keene, Hudson and Pelham.

"Turnout is absolutely huge and towns are starting to get concerned that they may not have enough ballots," Scanlan said. "We are working on those issues. Everything else seems to be going smoothly."

Scanlan said that the Secretary of State's office is sending additional ballots to Portsmouth and Keene (traditionally Democratic strongholds), Hudson (Republican leaning with significant numbers of independents) and Pelham (large number of independents).

According to Scanlan, the ballot strain seems to be on Democratic ballots, which suggests that the undeclared voters are breaking for the Democratic primary. New Hampshire Secretary of State William Gardner predicted that 90,000 undeclared voters would vote in the Democratic primary compared to 60,000 voting in the Republican primary.

Deputy Secretary Scanlan said based on a formula anticipating higher turnout, they printed additional ballots, but in most cases towns will go "right down to the wire with ballots they need." The extra ballots will be insurance ballots in most places so election officials have a comfort level.

Scanlan said reports from polling places show that turnout has been steady and high though the morning but typically high activity periods will be lunch and after work.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 01-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #239
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

Still, I don't truly understand the animosity towards Clinton at times. It really seems unfair to me. Damn her for being a woman with a brain.
I've never understood it either. I think it might be just be she has personality that tends to "rub people wrong" but I personally think she'd make a fine president.
__________________
maycocksean is offline  
Old 01-08-2008, 06:55 PM   #240
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Jeannieco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: A HEART THAT IS BROKEN IS A HEART THAT IS OPEN
Posts: 4,954
Local Time: 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
I'm really torn on this whole Hilary thing. Yes, I can see why voters would be turned off by the possibility of having another Clinton in the White House after 8 years of another Bush, but when you think about what happened the last time a Clinton was in office as opposed to Bush now, it's not exactly a bad thing.
Ya, but this election is not about the establishment. It's a cliche now, but it really is about change. People are sick of the way the system works now and she typifies that system. Yes, she is very smart, but she is politics as usual. She is bought and paid for by corporate America which means she will work for them, not us. People are SICK of that.
__________________

__________________
Jeannieco is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com