MERGED--> NH predictions + Hillary's win + NH recount? - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2008, 07:16 PM   #211
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

Compared to what - George W Bush's wealth of foreign policy experience circa 2000?
We live in very different times than we did in 2000. Radical Islam was not a major focus the way it is today. I would say Americans fear terrorism much more than in 2000. Since then, 9/11 happened and the subsequent wars have developed. In my opinion, foreign policy experience is always important to have, but even moreso right now. In 2000, I don't think foreign policy knowledge was quite the crucial criteria that a lot of people see it as today, or at least I do.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:31 PM   #212
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 10:36 AM
Does my blue guy in a red state cancel out your red guy in a blue state?

Can't we just all be purple?

Old 01-07-2008, 07:39 PM   #213
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:36 AM
Wow. Just wow. I come to FYM for the discussion, but I stay for the

Holy shit....

And regarding radical Islam..you're joking, right?

Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

We live in very different times than we did in 2000. Radical Islam was not a major focus the way it is today.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #214
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

We live in very different times than we did in 2000. Radical Islam was not a major focus the way it is today. I would say Americans fear terrorism much more than in 2000. Since then, 9/11 happened and the subsequent wars have developed. In my opinion, foreign policy experience is always important to have, but even moreso right now. In 2000, I don't think foreign policy knowledge was quite the crucial criteria that a lot of people see it as today, or at least I do.
Yes we live in different times, although we've helped create those different times. But W's experience didn't somehow change drastically from when he was brought in to 9/10, 2001. And you've been fine with his performance. You also don't seem to understand that Presidents hire cabinet members who apparently are experts in their fields. I really don't see Obama hiring cabinet members who don't even know what a Sunni is to be dealing with the Middle East, like our current president.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #215
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:36 AM
And while I completely disagree with the common belief that Bush is an idiot, the stories about him having close to zero intellectual curiosity seem all too common to not at least have some truth to them. Don't know if you could say that about Obama.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #216
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
And while I completely disagree with the common belief that Bush is an idiot, the stories about him having close to zero intellectual curiosity seem all too common to not at least have some truth to them. Don't know if you could say that about Obama.
Why do you disagree that Bush is an idiot?
Old 01-07-2008, 08:19 PM   #217
Blue Crack Supplier

you know what would be great? if it were McCain vs. Obama, we'd have an actual discussion on what to do about global warming and not this "needs more study" garbage.

that's exciting.

but i do worry about McCain's chances after New Hampshire. sure, he's winning by about 6 points, but he beat Bush here in 2000 by 18 points. and he has no prayer in South Carolina.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #218
Blue Crack Supplier

and as for Obama's foreign policy experience, i think he has much more than Romney, Giuliani, and Huckabee (who's fretting about Pakistanis coming over the border).

yes, i'd agree that McCain has more experience, but i don't agree that he has better judgment.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:25 PM   #219
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
and as for Obama's foreign policy experience, i think he has much more than Romney, Giuliani, and Huckabee (who's fretting about Pakistanis coming over the border).

yes, i'd agree that McCain has more experience, but i don't agree that he has better judgment.
It's funny you should mention experience and judgement. I was watching a rerun of the Daily Show tonight, and Obama was the guest. He brought up a great point of how most people who talk about wanting an experienced leader mean they want one who has better judgement. Yet, experience, does not mean good judgement. Obama said we probably all know older people, 50-60-70, years old who supposedly have "experience", yet they continue to make poor decisions and cause pain in their lives. It's no different as a government leader. As has been said over and over again, including by Obama on this particular Daily Show interview, Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld had years of "experience" in their past, yet they've showed nothing but extremely bad judgement in the past few years. They literally are walking advertisements that experience means nothing when it comes to judgement. Experience, in my opinion, can lead to bad judgement because it can create a false sense of confidence, which is really arrogance. It becomes an attitude of, "I've done this years, I know what I'm doing" that leads to ignoring reason and logic and acting impulsively based on what's worked in the past or what solution seems best at the time. That may work sometime, but most of the time it leads to disaster as evidenced by many of the decisions of the "experienced" Bush administration. A lack of experience, on the other hand, can lead to better judgement for the opposite reason. It forces you to consider all the options, and employ reason and logic simply because there is no prior knowledge to fall back on. Does this always lead to a correct decisions? Of course not, but I believe it has more of a chance.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:37 PM   #220
Blue Crack Supplier

true enough.

arrogance sometimes comes across as experience.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:41 PM   #221
Blue Crack Addict

How much foreign policy experience did Reagan have before he was elected?

Yet many Republicans hail him as the man who ended the Cold War
Old 01-07-2008, 10:29 PM   #222
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
How much foreign policy experience did Reagan have before he was elected?

Yet many Republicans hail him as the man who ended the Cold War
Being Governor (chief executive) of California for two terms very credible experience for high office.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:30 PM   #223
Blue Crack Addict

Well sure, but I'm talking specifically foreign policy.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:11 AM   #224
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Wow - Hillary was shut out in Dixville Notch. Obama got 7 - the most.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:47 AM   #225
Rock n' Roll Doggie

DIXVILLE NOTCH, New Hampshire (CNN) -- Citizens went to the polls in Dixville Notch a moment after midnight Tuesday to cast the first ballots in a 2008 presidential primary.

They gave Sen. John McCain an early lead in the GOP race and denied Sen. Hillary Clinton any votes in the Democratic contest.

McCain garnered four votes, followed by former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney with two and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani with one.

Sen. Barack Obama, fresh off a victory in the Iowa caucuses, was a favorite among Dixville Notch Democrats, with seven votes. Former Sen. John Edwards won two votes, and New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson got one.

Clinton drew no votes among the 10 Democrats casting ballots in Dixville Notch, a hamlet of about 75 people near the Canadian border.