MERGED--> NH predictions + Hillary's win + NH recount? - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #196
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
You know, Hitler wanted change too...

Maybe you have not been in this forum enough to know, but references to anyone being Hitler or a Nazi is not allowed based on my recollection.

I personally find it disappointing because of my own families history in WWII.

People used to toss that around towards GW Bush in here and it was wrong to do that. It is equally wrong for you to do it.

And your comments have NOTHING to do with getting people to answer questions about Obama.

Sorry, to say this, but like some of the conservatives in this forum in the past, I am embarrased that I might be associated with your style of politics.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #197
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:31 PM
Quote:

I'm not equating the two men. I'm just saying that Hitler brought about change by not being specific in his speak, and people bought into it, and Obama is doing the same. Is that not true? Sheesh, I'm not saying that a President Obama would be in any way slightly comparable to Hitler, I'm just saying that sometime he has to start talking in specifics.
Apparently you're unfamiliar with Godwin's Law:

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."

Whether or not you meant to equate the two, by mentioning Hitler you created a comparison that is simply ridiculous.

And like dread, my family has had some rather unpleasant history with the Nazis, and throwing out casual comparisons with the Nazis is at best distasteful.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #198
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I'm not equating the two men. I'm just saying that Hitler brought about change by not being specific in his speak, and people bought into it, and Obama is doing the same. Is that not true? Sheesh, I'm not saying that a President Obama would be in any way slightly comparable to Hitler, I'm just saying that sometime he has to start talking in specifics.
No, it's not true.

You can say he's not specific without making a bullshit reference to Hitler. You knew exactly what you were saying when you said it. Don't act surprised that people find it more than a little anti-intellectual to bring that into the argument.

I don't understand what's so vague about his positions. He's made his health care plan clear, as he's had to defend it from attack from Clinton. He's made it clear that he wants to begin withdrawing from Iraq. He intends to initiate steps in fighting human-caused global warming. He believes that civil unions should be available to homosexuals, and that the only thing left up to states should be the actual "title of marriage" (which is not everything I want, but a big step nonetheless). Those are major changes he wants to bring about. What's vague there?
Old 01-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #199
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:31 PM
And another one.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #200
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

And all we hear from you is "no experience"... But seriously you sound very scared, your broken record attacks just come off as very juvenile.

Maybe I'm the only one who realizes that this is one of the most crucial times in America's history, and electing someone like Obama who has no foreign policy experience just doesn't sound all that appealing to me.

Oh don't worry, though. I'm not scared. Bring him on. When the Obama hype wears down, and the Democrats are left with this guy as their candidate, I don't think they'll be real confident. When the general election rolls around, his record and experience (or lack thereof) will come out, and he'll have nothing to say in response. But if you want me to stop with the Obama "attacks," fine, I'll stop. You can just go on living in your little world where everyone agrees with you and you can all celebrate how perfectly flawless and qualified in every way to be president Obama is.

Oh, and about the Hitler thing, in the past 3 days alone here I've seen Obama compared to RFK, JFK, Martin Luther King Jr, Abraham Lincoln, and Jesus.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #201
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

I don't understand what's so vague about his positions. He's made his health care plan clear, as he's had to defend it from attack from Clinton. He's made it clear that he wants to begin withdrawing from Iraq. He intends to initiate steps in fighting human-caused global warming. He believes that civil unions should be available to homosexuals, and that the only thing left up to states should be the actual "title of marriage" (which is not everything I want, but a big step nonetheless). Those are major changes he wants to bring about. What's vague there?
I think this may be 2861 when listening to Democrats...

Old 01-07-2008, 06:46 PM   #202
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Maybe I'm the only one who realizes that this is one of the most crucial times in America's history, and electing someone like Obama who has no foreign policy experience just doesn't sound all that appealing to me.

Oh don't worry, though. I'm not scared. Bring him on. When the Obama hype wears down, and the Democrats are left with this guy as their candidate, I don't think they'll be real confident. When the general election rolls around, his record and experience (or lack thereof) will come out, and he'll have nothing to say in response. But if you want me to stop with the Obama "attacks," fine, I'll stop. You can just go on living in your little world where everyone agrees with you and you can all celebrate how perfectly flawless and qualified in every way to be president Obama is.

Oh, and about the Hitler thing, in the past 3 days alone here I've seen Obama compared to RFK, JFK, Martin Luther King Jr, Abraham Lincoln, and Jesus.

Yet electing someone who's experience is a series of shit performance was a good move? I call shenanigans.

And, funny thing, the GOP has a crop of candidates that is horrible. Even if the "hype" of Obama wears down ... his opponents will still be easily defeatable.

And for your last point ... uh ... . I don't think you know much about World War II and Nazi Germany, do you?
Old 01-07-2008, 06:47 PM   #203
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Hi all. Friendly reminder. For the sake of keeping the discussion civil and on track, can we please refrain from bandying about inflammatory words like Hitler, Nazi, etc.? It's hardly useful.

Also, just a reminder to also keep from personal attacks.

Thanks.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #204
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Maybe I'm the only one who realizes that this is one of the most crucial times in America's history,
Yeah, somehow you are so intelligent that you use a Hitler comparison, but somehow you are smart enough to be the only one that realizes this... yeah I'm sure it's that.
Quote:

I'm not asking you to stop anything. Attack all you want, but at least do it in an intellectual way. You've yet to do that.

Quote:

And your point? Try finishing a thought for once.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:52 PM   #205
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:31 PM
Quote:

Compared to what - George W Bush's wealth of foreign policy experience circa 2000?
Old 01-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #206
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Wow, just wow... You just lowered the collective conservative IQ 10 points.
What, from redneck to knuckledragger? Still preferable to being an elitist liberal in my book.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:56 PM   #207
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500
What, from Redneck to knuckledragger? Still preferable to being an elitist liberal in my book.
Are you trying to defend him?

Because if you're not, well, you missed the point.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #208
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500

What, from Redneck to knuckledragger? Still preferable to being an elitist liberal in my book.
Well if you think the bar started at Redneck?

Oh, come on you have enough elitism in you, I've seen it come out now and then.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #209
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 07:31 PM
In the 2000 debates, Gore was more pro-war than Bush. What Bush did in Iraq in 2002 was in fact known as "the Clinton Doctrine."

Obama is very mainstream in terms of positions, advisors, etc. , and I still agree with Kucinich more than anyone. Yet I am now a huge Obama fan.

What is amazing about him is his authenticity and charisma and the way he can schmooze with without seeming slimy.

I am watching him on C-span right now, and he just shook a little girl's hand and said "I have a nine year old, and she is pretty just like you." That would and could be cheesy but he makes it real.

He so reminds me of Bono the way he works the hand-shaking thing, and for some amazing reason, manages not to come off as fake.

Now a Republican is calling C-Span to say he really likes Obama. That just freaks me out in a good way.

About why I like Huckabilly: it's his honesty, his populism, his charm: he's not one of 'them'.

No, I don't agree with him. I am anti-war, pro-choice, and pro-gay-rights.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #210
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
Hi all. Friendly reminder. For the sake of keeping the discussion civil and on track, can we please refrain from bandying about inflammatory words like Hitler, Nazi, etc.? It's hardly useful.

Also, just a reminder to also keep from personal attacks.

Thanks.
Fair enough. I apologize. I retract my statement, if at all possible. And no, it's not just because people have called me out on it. What I said was stupid, and I apologize.