MERGED--> NH predictions + Hillary's win + NH recount? - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2008, 02:40 PM   #181
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:22 AM
I've been reading up on the Michigan thing.

The whole thing is basically about the timing of the primary. The National Comittees have rules that say no state outside of a precious few states(presumably Iowa and New Hampshire) are allowed to have their primaries/caucuses before February 5th. Iowa and New Hampshire have always been given special early treatment. Apparently some states didn't like that. Michigan defied National Party rules and scheduled their primary way ahead of time(January 15th). As a punishment, the National Parties are saying they will refuse to seat all of Michigan's Democratic delegates at the National Convention and half of Michigan's Republican delegates a the National Convention. All of the Democrats except for Hilary are boycotting Michigan in support of their National Party's punitive measures, although no Republicans are.

What I don't understand is that Nevada, South Carolina, and Florida have all also scheduled unsanctioned pre-February 5th dates and will recieve the same punishments, but I don't hear about Obama/Edwards/etc boycotting them. I also don't understand why Hilary is not following suite with her fellow Democrats.

But if they do, and they're not on the ballot for 4/5 states, that could have profound implications on who gets nominated.

However, those candidates boycotting the Michigan primary are urging their supporters to vote for "uncomitted" on their ballots.

This is all a mess, but frankly I think it would be more productive to vote for "uncommitted" than to not vote at all. Perhaps Obama supporters + Edwards supporters together can be enough to take the state away from Hilary.

Here are a couple articles - I got most of my information from these:

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/...80106026.shtml

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...WS06/801070333

Old 01-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #182
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
What I don't understand is that Nevada, South Carolina, and Florida have all also scheduled unsanctioned pre-February 5th dates and will recieve the same punishments, but I don't hear about Obama/Edwards/etc boycotting them. I also don't understand why Hilary is not following suite with her fellow Democrats.
The South Carolina Democratic primary is sanctioned, so that's why you haven't heard about any boycott there. The Republican one is unsanctioned.

Don't know about the other ones.

As for Hillary not boycotting Michigan, I didn't know that. I'm surprised too.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:43 PM   #183
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
I've been reading up on the Michigan thing.

The whole thing is basically about the timing of the primary. The National Comittees have rules that say no state outside of a precious few states(presumably Iowa and New Hampshire) are allowed to have their primaries/caucuses before February 5th. Iowa and New Hampshire have always been given special early treatment. Apparently some states didn't like that. Michigan defied National Party rules and scheduled their primary way ahead of time(January 15th). As a punishment, the National Parties are saying they will refuse to seat all of Michigan's Democratic delegates at the National Convention and half of Michigan's Republican delegates a the National Convention. All of the Democrats except for Hilary are boycotting Michigan in support of their National Party's punitive measures, although no Republicans are.

But if they do, and they're not on the ballot for 4/5 states, that could have profound implications on who gets nominated.

However, those candidates boycotting the Michigan primary are urging their supporters to vote for "uncomitted" on their ballots.

This is all a mess, but frankly I think it would be more productive to vote for "uncommitted" than to not vote at all. Perhaps Obama supporters + Edwards supporters together can be enough to take the state away from Hilary.

Here are a couple articles - I got most of my information from these:

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/...80106026.shtml

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...WS06/801070333

Gotta love that Michigan is being a huge fucktard per usual.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #184
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

Yes.

I was going to go and vote, but after finding out that neither Obama or Edwards was in the running I lost all desire to. I read that even if you were to write in their names it would not be counted.

There was an article in the Free Press about all the ins and outs of why, but I can't seem to find it now. If I do, I'll post it.
Thanks! I remember reading in the Free Press months back that the main candidates probably wouldn't be on the ballot, but I'd also heard they might change their minds closer to primary day. I hadn't heard any new news, so I assumed they hadn't. It's upsetting, but also just as well. My voter registration card still hasn't come. I registered almost a year and a half ago when I was up at college, but I realized I had accidentally gave the address of our old house; which we had just moved from. About 5 months ago I went to the Secretary of State's office to get it straightened out, and they told me my card would show up in 3 weeks. It's been about 20, and I'm still waiting. I went this morning, but it was packed by the time I got there. I'm just going to go tomorrow as soon as it opens.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:46 PM   #185
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

Gotta love that Michigan is being a huge fucktard per usual.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #186
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

At some point, Obama is going to have to end the vague generalizations and the rhetoric and really make the case for him being the next president. All this talk about changehopechangehope is somehow working, but I don't see in him right now the desire to end that and address the serious, real world problems we face. Just what kind of change is he talking about, anyways? How does he manage that he can bring it about? You know, Hitler wanted change too...

I never hear any of that, just changehopechangehope speak that my little sister could write for him.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:25 PM   #187
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
You know, Hitler wanted change too...
Honestly, you make conservatives look stupid.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:27 PM   #188
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

Honestly, you make conservatives look stupid.
Maybe you could answer that for me then, philly. Just what kind of change is Obama talking about? Be specific.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #189
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:22 AM
Oh come on, don't even try and dodge that, 2861. Using Hitler in reference to Obama is beyond pathetic.

And if you're unclear on his policies, there's a little website you can visit.

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/
Old 01-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #190
Blue Crack Supplier

it's true, it is bad to govern through soundbytes
Old 01-07-2008, 06:31 PM   #191
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
Oh come on, don't even try and dodge that, 2861. Using Hitler in reference to Obama is beyond pathetic.
I'm not equating the two men. I'm just saying that Hitler brought about change by not being specific in his speak, and people bought into it, and Obama is doing the same. Is that not true? Sheesh, I'm not saying that a President Obama would be in any way slightly comparable to Hitler, I'm just saying that sometime he has to start talking in specifics.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #192
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
At some point, Obama is going to have to end the vague generalizations and the rhetoric and really make the case for him being the next president. All this talk about changehopechangehope is somehow working, but I don't see in him right now the desire to end that and address the serious, real world problems we face. Just what kind of change is he talking about, anyways? How does he manage that he can bring it about?
And all we hear from you is "no experience"... But seriously you sound very scared, your broken record attacks just come off as very juvenile.

Quote:

Wow, just wow... You just lowered the collective conservative IQ 10 points.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #193
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I'm not equating the two men. I'm just saying that Hitler brought about change by not being specific in his speak, and people bought into it, and Obama is doing the same. Is that not true? Sheesh, I'm not saying that a President Obama would be in any way slightly comparable to Hitler, I'm just saying that sometime he has to start talking in specifics.
Yeah, try opening a history book.

And just look up Obama's stances they are all over the internet.

Reading is fun.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #194
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I never hear any of that, just changehopechangehope speak that my little sister could write for him.
Yes, I'm sure she's a fantastic orator.

But your posts (and STING's) are quite instructive. You guys are really worried about Obama. I would be, too.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #195
Refugee

Local Time: 05:22 AM
Quote:

You know, i've seen neo-cons compare Hitler to the War in Iraq. But comparing Hitler to Obama???