MERGED-> Morgan Spurlock finds Osama + Supersize Me & Bin Laden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coemgen

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Morgan Spurlock finds Osama

Filmmaker Morgan Spurlock may have found Osama bin Laden. The man behind the documentary Super Size Me showed a hand-selected group of buyers 15 minutes of his new film "Where in the World Is Osama bin Laden?," which has sparked a bidding war among studios. The Weinstein Co. quickly purchased the film. Though there's no official word on whether Spurlock found the elusive al-Qaida leader, the film's director of photography said, "We've definitely got the Holy Grail"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22115291/

If this is true, it would be cooler than "Super Size Me" and "What Would Jesus Buy?" I have to wonder though . . .

Thank god there is another mainstream, popular documentary maker out there who is not as annoying as Michael Moore.

If this is true (BIG If), I would LOVE to see George Bush watch the film.

Here's what probably happened: Out of embarassment, George threw in some extra dough to make Morgan promise he wouldn't say anything to anyone.

George, not being the brightest in the bunch, didn't cover all the bases. So, Morgan made a movie about it, and he hasn't broken the deal.

DaveC said:
Don't you think if he actually did find him, he would have reported it and taken the $25 million reward?

Well *if* he actually did, the profits from the film would eclipse $25mill.

However, as interesting and entertaining as I'm sure the film will be regardless, this "did he find Osama" talk is b.s simply there to provide, well, this reaction.

phillyfan26 said:
If this is true (BIG If), I would LOVE to see George Bush watch the film.

Yeah, no weapons of mass destruction, no Iran nukes and some goofy film guy finds bin Laden.

Oh, I hope it's true. (Plus, for the fact, that it could lead to capturing him sooner.)

I still doubt it though.

Earnie Shavers said:

Shoot the film then turn him in.

Production budget covered (and then some) before your movie is even released, then any and all box office receipts = pure profit.

You think Hollywood wouldn't be all over that??

Earnie Shavers said:

They'd be even higher if he killed him on-screen. Or he could fake it, like Blair Witch Project & Cannibal Holocaust.

I have not spent any time researching this story

but, it does not seem that far fetched to me.

all this guy would have to do
is get to Pakistan

and then tell an al-jazerra reporter that he would meet with OBL anywhere, anytime.

he could be told to go into a deserted ally

a car could come up

they put a bag over his head

and he is transported that way to a series of safe houses
where he is stripped, scanned and given new clothes and a new camera to use for the taping

to accomplish this

it is a lot different
than capturing him or killing him

coemgen said:
Well, if that's the case, why doesn't special forces dude pose as a reporter and do the same thing?

did you mis this part?

a car could come up

they put a bag over his head

and he is transported that way to a series of safe houses

where he is stripped, scanned and given new clothes and a new camera to use for the taping

Morgan Spurlock did NOT find Osama.

:rolleyes:

Nobody has been hooded and taken through safe houses to see Bin Laden in a long time, I'm sure.

And even if he did, it wouldn't make a whit of difference as he wouldn't be able to tell anyone else where he is.

Jack Bauer would have an undetectable homing device implanted in his left nipple and get taken through the safe houses. And if he couldn't bite his jugular and kill Osama(while being tied down to a chair), then at least we'd know where Osama was. :up:

That's how he rolls.

It may be the publicity coup of the decade - or it may just be publicity. Blog-led rumours are circulating that US documentary filmmaker Morgan Spurlock tracked down the world's most wanted man, Osama bin Laden.

Spurlock, best known for his McDonalds dietumentary Super Size Me, has finished his latest project entitled Where In The World?, describing his efforts to succeed where the US government and the world's military have failed in locating bin Laden. The film won't be shown until January at the Sundance festival.

What's the evidence? Pretty flimsy. First, potential distributors who wanted to see a 15 minute clip of the documentary at the Berlin film festival in February were made to sign draconian non-disclosure agreements. Second, movie blogs such as the excellent Slashfilm got excited by a quote from Spurlock's cinematographer Daniel Marracino: "We've definitely got the Holy Grail."

What's the truth? Maybe Spurlock did track down the fugitive al-Qaida leader. But it seems unlikely. Signing non-disclosure agreements for preview screenings are not uncommon. And the quote by Marracino dates back to a July piece in Variety, which makes the context less exciting:

"We've definitely got the Holy Grail," avers Spurlock's New York-based director of photography on the project, Daniel Marracino. "Visually, this film is just going to be gorgeous."
Anyway, top marks to Spurlock's publicist, and ponder another example of the interweb's echo chamber - although not yet on the level of the Guardian's popular news item about astronaut sex, a February 2000 article that was the second most-read item on this site yesterday.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/usa/2007/12/supersizing_osama_bin_laden.html

Back
Top Bottom