MERGED--> MLK Memorial

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
MLK Memorial

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/13/king.memorial/index.html

MLK's message remembered at memorial groundbreaking
POSTED: 1:28 p.m. EST, November 13, 2006
Adjust font size:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Presidents, civil rights icons, celebrities and ordinary citizens gathered Monday on the National Mall, where construction is getting under way for a monument honoring the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

The monument will be built on a four-acre site near the Lincoln Memorial, where King delivered his famous "I Have a Dream " speech in 1963.

President Bush said that he was proud to dedicate the memorial to "the lasting memory of a great man." "Dr. King showed us that a life of conscious and purpose can lift up many souls, and on this ground a monument will rise that preserves his legacy for the ages," Bush said. "Honoring Dr. King's legacy requires more than building a monument. It requires the ongoing commitment of every American. So we will continue to work for the day when the dignity and humanity of every person is respected and the American promise is denied to no one." (Watch civil rights icons talk about MLK and the memorial -- 2:10)

Bush said that it was fitting to place the King Memorial between the monuments for Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln.

"By its presence in this place, it will unite the men who declared the promise of America and defended the promise of America with the man who redeemed the promise of America," Bush said. (Map)

President Clinton signed legislation that kicked off the project in 1996.

"The monument, however beautiful it turns out to be, will be but a physical manifestation of the monument constructed in the minds and hearts of millions of Americans, who are more just, more decent, more successful, more perfect because he lived," said Clinton.

Clinton also stressed the importance of King's nonviolent message in today's society.

"When the real battlefield is the human heart, civil disobedience works better than suicide bombings. Fighting your opponent with respect and reason works better than aspersion and attack."

Members of the King family also attended the ceremony, along with current and former members of Congress, writer Maya Angelou, Oprah Winfrey and civil rights leaders, including the Rev. Jesse Jackson and the Rev. Al Sharpton.

Construction of the $100 million monument is scheduled to be completed in 2008, 40 years after King was assassinated in Memphis, Tennessee.

Backers have raised more than $65 million, according to The Associated Press. Most of the funding has come from corporate donors including Tommy Hilfiger and General Motors. (Interactive: Tour the memorial)

The monument's design was inspired by King's stirring sermons and will feature flowing water that will match the cadence of his speech.

According to the memorial's official Web site, visitors entering the memorial will pass through two stones described as the mountain of despair to reach a third, the stone of hope -- echoing King's 1963 speech.

The line "with this faith, we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope" will be carved into one side of the entry.

The other side will be inscribed with the words: "Let justice roll down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream."

Former U.N. Ambassador Andrew Young, one of King's former lieutenants said that King's words were not important because he said them, but because he lived them.

The King Memorial will be the first monument to a black American on the National Mall.

It looks beautiful, I hope I can see it one day

capt.ed9cc4ad126b48038d907f881f5a562e.mlk_civil_rights_memorial_wx105.jpg

I just realized this is what Jesse Jackson spoke of when he came to my school last year. I don't know why but I thought it was supposed to be completed next year.

He showed the video, it looks gorgeous :love:

MrsSpringsteen said:
Looks beautiful! My parents were actively involved in the Civil Rights movement and met Dr. King--I look forward to taking my mother to see this once it's finished.

Thanks for posting this story Justin. :up:

MLK Memorial

Did any of you all notice the ground breaking ceremony for the long over due MLK Memorial in DC? I was lucky to catch part of it on C-Span last night, just came across it. I couldn't help think that Bono/U2 would have loved to have been there singing PRIDE! That would have been fantastic! There were speeches made by President Clinton, Oprah, Barak Obama and others.
I would have love to have been there to see this!
Bebe Wynans sang with the AME Gospel Choir and the Judds sang a really nice version of their hit Love Can Build a Bridge.
That Wynonia can sure belt it out! That girl has got soul! What a great song!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom