MERGED: Margaret Hassan Likely Executed - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2004, 02:19 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:02 PM
I think that they should establish a colonial office, like they had back in the days of empire. A fully integrated set that can provide security and the expertise (civil planners, engineers etc.) for nation building, the reliance on contractors doesn't seem to be as successful as it could have been, then again a new beurocracy is not going to be that much better, but at least they could guarantee the security for the rebuilding.

Old 11-16-2004, 02:25 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:02 AM
SOMETHING needs to be changed. If this keeps up people won't go over to Iraq to do their jobs for fear of being captured, which is a legitimate fear.

Old 11-16-2004, 02:39 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Again, I agree with you A_Wanderer. They can't go on like this, some big time changes are in order.
Ouch. I feel like someone, in some way, has killed me as well. I hope that doesn't sound too morbid. But maybe this is *that* disturbing to me. It's not exactly a "c'est la vie" deal, ya know?
Old 11-16-2004, 03:07 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I think that they should establish a colonial office, like they had back in the days of empire.
That'll go over real well. I don't agree with any part of colonialism, and the thought of bringing some semblance of it back turns my stomach.

Something needs to change, but this is not the answer.

I wish the very best for her family. She sounds like she was a true humanitarian and lived an exemplary life while she was here. Terrible news for everyone.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:12 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

We can give it a PC name, but the functions that are needed for nation building are not dissimilar to that of building empires. Getting electricity, water and security, establishing political control over a country these are all the same functions. The tweaking occurs in the type of political leadership established but having a dedicated group that can do these tasks is a lot better than relying on Halliburton or the UN, both of which have less than stellar records in this.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:38 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

I once had the utmost-die-hard-conservative-republican come up to me and say:

"How do you spell Dick Cheney's last name? H-A-L-L-I-B-U-R-T-O-N." I thought it was hilarious particularly coming from him.

You're right, relaying on Halliburton and/or the UN is not enough.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:56 PM   #22
The Fly

Quote:
They want to hurt the Iraqi people, if the Iraqi's get fucked over because no NGO's will operate then it makes it that much easier to incite chaos. There are definitely foreigners among there but when it comes to Jihadist it's allways the same shit with a different smell, from Bali to Beslan. Lets hope that people will start blaming those who hack heads off rather than the leaders who have the unenviable task of refusing to negotiate with them.

It's another sickening day in this whole tragedy. The men who did this are not human in the way we know it to be and when all is said and done they are the ones responsible for Margaret Hassan's death.

However, this shouldn't prevent us from recognising the failures that led to this and other killings that have taken place. Bush and Blair should really shut the hell up talking about Iraq being the epicentre or the crucible of where they're fighting the so-called War On Terror. All it does is encourage these scumbags to continue what they're doing, and makes them feel more important than they actually are.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:26 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Old 11-16-2004, 08:22 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

As I named this thread before it got merged, this really makes people want to go over there and help, NOT! How could anyone murder a nice lady who wanted to help? What does this say?
Old 11-16-2004, 08:28 PM   #25
War Child

This is so beyond f___ing horrible it's beyond words or thoughts.
"My feeling is that it is cool for people to share our music -- as long as no one is making money from the process. We tell people who come to our concerts that they can tape the shows if they want. I think it is cool that people are so passionate about our music" -- Bono
The continuous search for purpose...
Old 11-16-2004, 11:09 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
However, this shouldn't prevent us from recognising the failures that led to this and other killings that have taken place. Bush and Blair should really shut the hell up talking about Iraq being the epicentre or the crucible of where they're fighting the so-called War On Terror. All it does is encourage these scumbags to continue what they're doing, and makes them feel more important than they actually are.
See now this is what I am talking about, somebody dies and it is turned into a political football. Iraq is a magnet for every lowlife scumbag and terrorist who wants to blow shit up for their holy war, a front on the GWoT made by the Bush administration.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:26 AM   #27
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
As I named this thread before it got merged, this really makes people want to go over there and help, NOT! How could anyone murder a nice lady who wanted to help? What does this say?
You're exactly right on this one, U2Kitten. I have read about Western women who have gone to Afghanistan to help get their girls' schools started up, to teach and administer...and they face threats of violence daily in some cases.

Join Amnesty.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:37 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Old 11-17-2004, 05:13 AM   #29
The Fly

Quote:
See now this is what I am talking about, somebody dies and it is turned into a political football. Iraq is a magnet for every lowlife scumbag and terrorist who wants to blow shit up for their holy war, a front on the GWoT made by the Bush administration.
No, I haven't turned it into a political football. I simply said that we shouldn't lose sight of the situations that were created that led up to this and other deaths, and that more needs to be done to try and prevent further deaths from happening. My post was basically about learning from mistakes. What's so wrong with learning from mistakes?
Old 11-17-2004, 05:17 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
You're right U2Kitten. These people are so cold-blooded it just makes me sick.