MERGED-->Jesus- Tomb found with body + James Cameron is... - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2007, 08:12 AM   #136
War Child

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
I'll somewhat agree with what Ormus (melon?) said; it seems that throughout history, various groups, be they conservative, liberal, Christian, non-Christian, etc. have attempted to re-create God and/or Jesus in their own image. I don't see the pattern ending anytime soon.
Yes, I am "melon," and that hasn't been a secret. I'm considering reviving my old name soon, though, actually.

Happy to see that you agree with me.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:14 AM   #137
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

No, read my response to martha for clarification.

i did. i found it more rationalization than clarification. but i take your point, and i hope that people will take mine: it's a lovely way to view the passage, as one of Jesus advocating "equality" between men and women, and that seems to be the liberal thing to do these days. it's quite sexy and modern to think of Jesus as an "incendiary" Brando-type figure, a Rebel With A Cause, and all that is lovely, not to mention a bit self-flattering, sort of what Mac users tell themselves after seeing all those Ghandi commercials. it's just not eternal.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:21 AM   #138
Blue Crack Supplier

the only other thing i'd point out is that another crucial thing about the resurrection is that it gives us what, to my knowledge, Christianity has to offer over all other religions: it solves the problem of death. that's the big mystery, isn't it? what happens when you die? isn't that the existential crisis? are we just big bags of water on a rock floating through space? or are we special and loved by forces greater than just our parents? isn't that the human paradox, you are born to die and you don't know what happened before or after and the idea that it is all a big nothing is enough to make you lie down in the middle of the road and not get up like in that old Radiohead video.

and Christianity offers an answer to this. and it's presented in non-negotiatble terms. and fair enough. and i'm not here to comment on whether things are right or wrong or true or false or whatever. it can't be known, and that's fine. but i do think it's important to point out that Christianity -- like any religion -- has a blueprint, and functions as a brand (just how are we different?)
Old 02-28-2007, 08:32 AM   #139
Blue Crack Addict

Is this still about the tv show?Is there any way the rest of it can be split off or something?

I realized I don't have the Discovery Channel any longer, so I'll probably miss it. I really want to see it, I find the whole subject to be completely fascinating.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:57 AM   #140
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
My guess is he's referring to Isaiah 26:19 & 53:5 and Hosea 6:2. I'm not interested in debating what The Correct Interpretation of those passages is, and commenting on the Apostles' Creed is not my place--I was just pointing out that, to the extent he was suggesting this is a Jewish understanding of them (which may not have been his intent), that that is untrue.
I didn't mean to imply that it's what all Jewish people believe, but Jesus's apostles certainly presented him as the fulfillment of prophecy in their preaching and writing. I just wanted to make the point that the modernist theologian's de-mythologization of Jesus goes completely against what the apostles actually preached.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:57 AM   #141
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Is this still about the tv show?Is there any way the rest of it can be split off or something?

I realized I don't have the Discovery Channel any longer, so I'll probably miss it. I really want to see it, I find the whole subject to be completely fascinating.
I'm afraid the parts not pertinent to the program are too rambling and diverse to lend themselves to a separate thread. If I'm going to take the time to split 10 pages' worth of posts, there really needs to be an obvious other thread in there.

I'm sure once the show airs the thread will stagger back on topic. I don't know that there's much left to discuss about the show itself, sight unseen, at this point, other than posting new articles.

I won't be able to watch the program either.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 02-28-2007, 03:27 PM   #142
She's the One

Local Time: 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
sort of what Mac users tell themselves after seeing all those Ghandi commercials.
Sez you.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:01 PM   #143
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Back on the topic of the documentary....

At the university where I work (united methodist affiliated) they are actually going to be having a viewing event complete with food and discussion hosted by the chaplain and the institute of church professions. As much as I'd like to go....I'm too lazy to leave my cozy living room at 9pm when I could just as easily watch at home or DVR it. lol.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:05 PM   #144
Blue Crack Supplier

^ your man is handsome
Old 02-28-2007, 04:11 PM   #145
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

teehee. Thanks, I certainly think so. Btw, so is yours.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:17 PM   #146
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
Back on the topic of the documentary....

At the university where I work (united methodist affiliated) they are actually going to be having a viewing event complete with food and discussion hosted by the chaplain and the institute of church professions. As much as I'd like to go....I'm too lazy to leave my cozy living room at 9pm when I could just as easily watch at home or DVR it. lol.
You should go. We Methodists keep our theological debates rather civil, but they are always interesting and often lively, with a broad diversity of viewpoints. I tend to consider myself a "United Methodist, orthodox," a personal sub-denomination I founded. That is a "small o" in orthodox. I am the only congregant that I know of, so far.

~U2Alabama
Old 02-28-2007, 11:01 PM   #147
Refugee

Local Time: 03:42 AM
James Cameron is The AntiChrist!!!

Just kidding...but what a knob. Never liked that guy. At all.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:07 PM   #148
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

So I'm watching it now.

Not too impressive. Lots of conjecture and whatifs. Sort of a whodunit. Actually this same guy did a documentary on the Exodus story not long ago that was much better.

I'm going to keep recording it and go to bed and finish it next week, methinks.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:18 PM   #149
Blue Crack Supplier

it's not great TV, though its about as good as it could be -- archeology isn't all that filmable unless you've got a man in a fedora cracking a whip at a bunch of scary nazis.

i suppose what i've taken from this is how quickly we can reasses what we've learned -- i remember growing up hearing about Mary Magdalen and how she was a prostitute who washed Jesus's feet and then became a devout follower.

now, she's esteemed as much more, and the designation to prostitute seems indicative of a Middle Ages mindset that women are either mothers or whores.

for whatever that's worth.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:54 PM   #150
Blue Crack Supplier

for whatever it's worth, the post-show discussion with Ted Kopple has been very interesting.

and it makes me wonder: just what need would Jesus have for bones in heaven?