MERGED--> Jesus Camp + Michael Moore and ... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2006, 02:39 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:30 AM
what impressed me most about the film was how terrific the kids were -- smart, endearing, articulate, and extremely sympathetic.

and they scared the shit out of me.

but that was my reaction, not a reaction engineered by the filmmakers. the quality of filmmaking is on such a high level that there's not a whiff any sort of manipulation.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:43 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

but that was my reaction, not a reaction engineered by the filmmakers. the quality of filmmaking is on such a high level that there's not a whiff any sort of manipulation.
I haven't seen the film, but I imagine this is a very fair statement.

For example, I find Christian fundamentalists to be extremely frightening, so that's a notion I'd bring into the film, regardless of how the filmmakers filmed it. That's why I don't think commentary on the film should be taken as a reason to see or not to see the film - just like any piece of art, you'll take from it what you would anyway.

Old 08-07-2006, 05:25 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:30 PM
Now I want to see this movie.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:47 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Is the "fundamentalism" in this film defined so by the filmmakers, the subjects, or the posters here?

And how is the fundamentalism defined? And how is it reflected in the kids?
Old 08-07-2006, 05:49 PM   #20
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Quote:
what impressed me most about the film was how terrific the kids were -- smart, endearing, articulate, and extremely sympathetic.

and they scared the shit out of me.
hehehe.... extremely good people are always scary... you don't know what to expect from them

the film sounds really interesting
Old 08-07-2006, 06:09 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977
Is the "fundamentalism" in this film defined so by the filmmakers, the subjects, or the posters here?

Those are very good, helpful and necessary questions.

I for one define "fundamentalist Christians" in a very simple and nonpolitical way.

I was raised as a Baptist and exposure to the goings on of the Southern Baptist convention taught me the term "fundamentalist" in the 80s, long before it developed its political connotation and became such a prevalent buzzword with the media. In its truest, nonpolitical sense, "fundamentalist Christian" simply means a Christian who accepts the Bible as the inerrant Word of God.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:12 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977

i believe the woman in the film, Becky Fischer, calls herself a fundamentalist, and literal readings of the Bible (world created in 7 Days, etc.) are promoted by her camp.

it is reflected in the kids through their interviews, and through their participation in various camp activities.

though we need to remember that many fundamentalists don't consider other people who also define themselves as fundamentalists to be true fundamentalists (hence, the problem with fundamentalism). so it's a self-definition, one that you (or others) might disagree with. and they are a specific denomination -- Pentacostal.

what i also think is interesting is that one could walk into this film and want it to be biased, to be the result of a bunch of liberal NYC documentary filmmaking women who just hate Christians, and i'm sure you could sew together an analysis to support such a hypothesis.

however, if you speak to the filmmakers, as i did, you'd know just how much they actually fell in love with their subjects, the extent to which they defended their subjects from what were rather incredulous questions from the audience in the post-screening Q&A session, and how mightily they struggled to make it as straightforward and matter-of-fact as possible.

i can't say it enough -- it's a great film. i hope it makes waves at the Oscars.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:14 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Is this in the theaters or something? It seems like I would have at least heard of it.

I honestly can't get too excited about anything Moore does. I'll watch it anyways though.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:28 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
Is this in the theaters or something? It seems like I would have at least heard of it.

I honestly can't get too excited about anything Moore does. I'll watch it anyways though.

Moore didn't make the film. he just has a film festival and wants to show it there. it was made by Heidi Ewing and Rachel Grady.

it is currently playing the film festival circuit and seems to have secured a distributer. my guess is that it will continue on the circuit for a while, garner awards and build itself a resume, and then it will start to be slowly released to sophisticated urban markets in the fall (NYC, LA, SF, Boston, DC, Chicago) and then slowly work it's way into second tier markets (usually college towns) and try to get a kind of "buzz" that might break it into the box office top 20, and then make it a contender when awards season starts in the new year.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:26 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Oh ok. Nice to see Moore didn't make it.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:27 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Irvine,
I've been reading your impressions of the film and they have me very intrigued. I may have to see this film when it plays here.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:29 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

i honestly think everyone on FYM should make an effort to see it.

i think it would make for a fascinating thread.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:08 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:30 AM
Quote:
Reading the original article, this sounds in line with other's reviews of the film.

But, I'd agree with the distributor. Associate with Michael Moore paints a different picture regarding the substance and approach of the documentary.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:32 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 09-19-2006, 03:10 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Because the following terms are always used in a negative connotation in print and broadcast media. It is no accident that the media does this. They are painting the word picture with their own views.

inculcating

radical

fundamentalist
I've heard of this piece of crap. They take a look at the most radical sect of Christianity and expose it as if it had any link to mainstream Christianity. I guess the good thing about it is that it proves Rosie O'Donnell dead wrong for saying that radical Christianity is just as bad as radical Islam. What a ridiculous statement.

As for those who have deep resentment for Christianity, go ahead and watch it, and make sure you follow it up with Valley of the Wolves.