MERGED-->In memory of Steve Irwin + Int'l Khaki Day Sep. 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coemgen

Rock n' Roll Doggie
In memory of Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter . . .

Visit these sites and help continue his work for free.

Go to www.theanimalrescuesite.com and www.therainforestsite.com . There, with the click of a button, you can save part of the rainforest and donate food to animals living in animal rescues. It's free because advertising pays for it.

It's something you can do once a day, every day. They also have sites to help fight hunger and breast cancer, as well as ones to improve child health and literacy.

With so many people saddened by his death, I thought this would be a cool, easy way to keep his memory alive.

God bless,

coemgen

Discovery Channel/Animal Planet are actually setting up a specific fund in his name that will distribute money to various conservation projects around the world.

Re: In memory of Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter . . .

coemgen said:
Visit these sites and help continue his work for free.

With so many people saddened by his death, I thought this would be a cool, easy way to keep his memory alive.

God bless,

coemgen

His passion knew no bounds..:up: :sad:

Earnie Shavers said:
Discovery Channel/Animal Planet are actually setting up a specific fund in his name that will distribute money to various conservation projects around the world.

:up:

I want to donate some of the $$ I anticipate getting for my upcoming wedding. Steve is one of the reasons I decided I could possibly make a career out of working with animals....

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I want to donate some of the $$ I anticipate getting for my upcoming wedding. Steve is one of the reasons I decided I could possibly make a career out of working with animals....

That's awesome. My sister just had a wedding and they gave people a CD of all the songs in the wedding, and in the CD's booklet it explained that by just attending the wedding, they were going to donate $1 for each person to the 1,000 Wells project for Africa. Maybe you could do something like that? :hmm:

Congratulations on getting married!

Everyone else (and LivLuv), thanks for visiting these sites. Check out the others associated with those sites, as well as www.povertyfighters.com and www.thebiblesite.org. Two more great sites with the same great idea.

God bless,

coemgen

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

:up:

you could even arrange a donation registry instead of gifts. world vision do them, i'm sure conservation groups do too.

Here is the link to Steve and Terri's organisation "Wildlife Warriors" if anyone is interested in making a donation :

The site was set up to help wildlife both in Australia and overseas.

I'd like to remind everyone that it's against site policy for members to post links to sites that are soliciting for donations, regardless of the cause. Although Interference may on occasion feature an invitation to all members to donate towards some particularly pressing need (e.g. the tsunami victims link that was on the front page for awhile), it isn't OK for individual members to randomly post donation links of their own choosing.

coemgen's link doesn't involve money, I understand that, so I can't think of any reason why it should be a problem. However, please don't post links to appeals that do in this thread. Thanks.

His death is such a great loss. I think, websites or not, that each of us can do something to continue what he began. I still don't want to believe he's gone. :sad:

Thanks for posting the links.

Very very untimely death:( :sad:

Last edited:
Yes, the best thing to do is honor what steve believed in. I can't tell you how sad i am, i watched him since i was 15 and loved him so much. Life is cruel.:(

Last edited:
Late last night while in bed I flipped on the TV and surfed channels but stopped on several channels who were airing interviews, footage and coverage of Steve Irwin and his shocking tragic death. There was a Larry King interview with his business partner, Cousteau's son and others and there was a show on Animal Planet and some other channel. Very very sad loss. RIP Steve.

I saw that, too. Very moving stuff, especially from his business partner. You could tell they had a great, genuine friendship. It's been moving to what he meant to people and what they're taking from the life he lived.

Since International Khaki Day is also "in memory of Steve Irwin," I have merged it into that thread.

Also I will repeat my reminder,
I'd like to remind everyone that it's against site policy for members to post links to sites that are soliciting for donations, regardless of the cause. Although Interference may on occasion feature an invitation to all members to donate towards some particularly pressing need (e.g. the tsunami victims link that was on the front page for awhile), it isn't OK for individual members to randomly post donation links of their own choosing...please don't post links to appeals that do in this thread. Thanks.

I am shocked the croc hunter is not here anymore an wish his family the best!

but who is this Germaine Greer woman in the article below? i want to smack her for her comments!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/06/death.irwin.greer/index.html

i only posted the part about irwin and greer from the article, theres clips of irwin's mgr on larry king and more article on stingray's in link above.

Storm breaks over attack on Irwin
POSTED: 1:05 p.m. EDT, September 7, 2006

SYDNEY, Australia (CNN) -- Comments by academic Germaine Greer on the death of wildlife TV star Steve Irwin have triggered a storm of anger with the Australian author criticized for being "insensitive" and "elitist."

Greer, best known for her feminist book "The Female Eunuch", said Wednesday Irwin was an "embarrassment" and a "self-deluded animal torturer."

Irwin, who gained international fame for his "Crocodile Hunter" TV series, was killed Monday by a stingray barb while filming a wildlife documentary.

Speaking on Australian TV Channel Nine's "A Current Affair" news program Wednesday, Greer described those who mourned Irwin's passing as "idiots" and said possibly millions of Australians were embarrassed by him.

Greer said Irwin had not treated animals with the respect they deserved.

"He would tell you how dangerous they were and he would proceed to intrude on their space and humiliate (them) really -- treat them with massive insensitivity," she said. "It's no surprise he came to grief."

Greer's views, first aired in Britain's Guardian newspaper on Tuesday, have drawn a sharp response in Australia from politicians and commentators.

Queensland state leader Peter Beattie told Greer to "back off" and labeled her comments "stupid" and "insensitive."

"Germaine Greer is just wrong and I just can't imagine anyone being more insensitive and, frankly, stupid," he said Thursday.

"This argument is just extreme radical rubbish from Germaine Greer and it couldn't come at a more insensitive time.

"Any suggestion that he (Irwin) mistreated animals is just rubbish ... he educated a generation."

Author John Birmingham, writing in The Australian newspaper Thursday, called Greer's comments "a poisonous discharge of bile" which encapsulated the views of a "whole class of Australian sophisticates" who felt uncomfortable with Irwin's global celebrity.

Greer is a frequent critic of personalities like British soccer star David Beckham and social trends like reality television, although she herself appeared briefly in Britain's Celebrity Big Brother series.

In other news, Irwin's father said his son's funeral would be held privately within seven days, The Associated Press reports.

He confirmed that the family had declined a state funeral for the television star.

In a short statement to media at the family's Australia Zoo reptile park, Bob Irwin said his son's funeral would be private at an undisclosed location, and that a public memorial service would be held within two weeks.

"He wants to be remembered as an ordinary bloke," Irwin said earlier.

Bob Irwin told reporters Wednesday his son and he were extremely close.

"Steve and I weren't like father and son, we never were," Irwin said.

"We were good mates. I'll remember Steve as my best mate ever," he said.

Meanwhile, colleagues of Irwin said they wanted video footage destroyed of the star showing him pulling a deadly stingray barb from his chest just before he died on Monday.

The host of Animal Planet's "Crocodile Hunter" was filming scenes for a show intended for children when he was attacked.

Irwin's manager and close friend John Stainton told CNN's Larry King he would not want the tape released. "It should be destroyed," he said Tuesday.

The tape is in police custody, according to Stainton.

Stainton told CNN he believed Irwin was dead by the time he was brought from the water, despite efforts by those on his boat to keep him alive while racing to an island to meet a medical helicopter.

"In my heart, I figure -- I think he was dead when he was in the rubber ducky," Stainton told King. "I don't think he was alive."

A rubber ducky is a small inflatable boat, which was used to transport Irwin back to his research vessel, CrocOne. Efforts to resuscitate Irwin proved futile.

She's a shit stirrer. I take her comments with a grain of salt. We all know that her comments are ridiculous. Funny how she never said anything like that while Steve was still alive.... it's a lot easier to have a go at someone when they are no longer here to defend themselves... especially when you have no idea what you are on about! :mad:

i just purchased a keyring, a little Steve Irwin figurine, wallet and a poster from the Australia Zoo website :)

Back
Top Bottom