MERGED --> Impeachment Tour + Mother of US Soldier Vows To Follow Bush Around - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-07-2005, 11:31 AM   #1
War Child
 
I'm Ready's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 987
Local Time: 12:20 PM
Impeachment Tour

CRAWFORD, Texas (AP) -- The angry mother of a fallen U.S. soldier staged a protest near President Bush's ranch Saturday, demanding an accounting from Bush of how he has conducted the war in Iraq.

Supported by more than 50 demonstrators who chanted, ''W. killed her son!'' Cindy Sheehan told reporters: ''I want to ask the president, 'Why did you kill my son? What did my son die for?''' Sheehan, 48, didn't get to see Bush, but did talk about 45 minutes with national security adviser Steve Hadley and deputy White House chief of staff Joe Hagin, who went out to hear her concerns.

Appreciative of their attention, yet undaunted, Sheehan said she planned to continue her roadside vigil, except for a few breaks, until she gets to talk to Bush. Her son, Casey, 24, was killed in Sadr City, Iraq, on April 4, 2004. He was an Army specialist, a Humvee mechanic.

''They (the advisers) said we are in Iraq because they believed Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, that the world's a better place with Saddam gone and that we're making the world a safer place with what we're doing over there,'' Sheehan said in a telephone interview after the meeting.

''They were very respectful. They were nice men. I told them Iraq was not a threat to the United States and that now people are dead for nothing. I told them I wouldn't leave until I talked to George Bush.''

She said Hagin told her, ''I want to assure you that he (Bush) really does care.''

''And I said if he does care, why doesn't he come out and talk to me.''

Sheehan arrived in Crawford aboard a bus painted red, white and blue and emblazoned with the words, ''Impeachment Tour.'' Sheehan, from Vacaville, Calif., had been attending a Veterans for Peace convention in Dallas.

The bus, trailed by about 20 cars of protesters and reporters, drove at about 15 mph toward Bush's ranch. After several miles, they parked the vehicles and began to march, in stifling heat, farther down the narrow country road.

Flanked by miles of pasture, Sheehan spoke with reporters while clutching two photographs, one of her son in uniform, and the other, a baby picture, when he was seven months old.

She said she decided to come to Crawford a few days ago after Bush said that fallen U.S. troops had died for a noble cause and that the mission must be completed.

''I want to ask the president, `Why did you kill my son? What did my son die for?'' she said, her voice cracking with emotion. ''Last week, you said my son died for a noble cause' and I want to ask him what that noble cause is?''

White House spokesman Trent Duffy said response that Bush also wants the troops to return home safely.

''Many of the hundreds of families the president has met with know their loved one died for a noble cause and that the best way to honor their sacrifice is to complete the mission,'' Duffy said.

''It is a message the president has heard time and again from those he has met with and comforted. Like all Americans, he wants the troops home as soon as possible.''

The group marched about a half-mile before local law enforcement officials stopped them at a bend in the road, still four to five miles from the ranch's entrance. Capt. Kenneth Vanek of the McLennan County Sheriff's Office said the group was stopped because some marchers ignored instructions to walk in the ditch beside the road, not on the road.

''If they won't cooperate, we won't,'' Vanek said.



"Noble" something the draft dodging Dubya knows nothing about....

A president was impeached for lying about a blow job,so when do the impeachment hearings start for Dubya,the current "pathelogical liar",on vacation now,but soon to be back in the Oval office.




good for her
__________________

__________________
I'm Ready is offline  
Old 08-07-2005, 11:50 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 05:20 PM
Re: Impeachment Tour

Quote:
Originally posted by I'm Ready
CRAWFORD, Texas (AP) -- The angry mother of a fallen U.S. soldier staged a protest near President Bush's ranch Saturday, demanding an accounting from Bush of how he has conducted the war in Iraq.

Supported by more than 50 demonstrators who chanted, ''W. killed her son!'' Cindy Sheehan told reporters: ''I want to ask the president, 'Why did you kill my son? What did my son die for?''' Sheehan, 48, didn't get to see Bush, but did talk about 45 minutes with national security adviser Steve Hadley and deputy White House chief of staff Joe Hagin, who went out to hear her concerns.

Appreciative of their attention, yet undaunted, Sheehan said she planned to continue her roadside vigil, except for a few breaks, until she gets to talk to Bush. Her son, Casey, 24, was killed in Sadr City, Iraq, on April 4, 2004. He was an Army specialist, a Humvee mechanic.

''They (the advisers) said we are in Iraq because they believed Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, that the world's a better place with Saddam gone and that we're making the world a safer place with what we're doing over there,'' Sheehan said in a telephone interview after the meeting.

''They were very respectful. They were nice men. I told them Iraq was not a threat to the United States and that now people are dead for nothing. I told them I wouldn't leave until I talked to George Bush.''

She said Hagin told her, ''I want to assure you that he (Bush) really does care.''

''And I said if he does care, why doesn't he come out and talk to me.''

Sheehan arrived in Crawford aboard a bus painted red, white and blue and emblazoned with the words, ''Impeachment Tour.'' Sheehan, from Vacaville, Calif., had been attending a Veterans for Peace convention in Dallas.

The bus, trailed by about 20 cars of protesters and reporters, drove at about 15 mph toward Bush's ranch. After several miles, they parked the vehicles and began to march, in stifling heat, farther down the narrow country road.

Flanked by miles of pasture, Sheehan spoke with reporters while clutching two photographs, one of her son in uniform, and the other, a baby picture, when he was seven months old.

She said she decided to come to Crawford a few days ago after Bush said that fallen U.S. troops had died for a noble cause and that the mission must be completed.

''I want to ask the president, `Why did you kill my son? What did my son die for?'' she said, her voice cracking with emotion. ''Last week, you said my son died for a noble cause' and I want to ask him what that noble cause is?''

White House spokesman Trent Duffy said response that Bush also wants the troops to return home safely.

''Many of the hundreds of families the president has met with know their loved one died for a noble cause and that the best way to honor their sacrifice is to complete the mission,'' Duffy said.

''It is a message the president has heard time and again from those he has met with and comforted. Like all Americans, he wants the troops home as soon as possible.''

The group marched about a half-mile before local law enforcement officials stopped them at a bend in the road, still four to five miles from the ranch's entrance. Capt. Kenneth Vanek of the McLennan County Sheriff's Office said the group was stopped because some marchers ignored instructions to walk in the ditch beside the road, not on the road.

''If they won't cooperate, we won't,'' Vanek said.



"Noble" something the draft dodging Dubya knows nothing about....

A president was impeached for lying about a blow job,so when do the impeachment hearings start for Dubya,the current "pathelogical liar",on vacation now,but soon to be back in the Oval office.




good for her
In November of 2004, the United States had a presidential election, and anyone that did not want Bush to remain as president had the perfect opportunity to send him back to Texas. But Bush was re-elected president and won with a majority of the votes, the first time that has happened since 1988. A very solid win for the President and his policies. Here are the results of that election:

George W. Bush 62,040,610 Votes

John Kerry 59,028,111 Votes

Ralph Nader 463,653 Votes

Michael Badnarik 397,265 Votes

Other 363,693 Votes


George Bush defeated John Kerry by 3,012,499 votes.
__________________

__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 08-07-2005, 12:24 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life
 
FizzingWhizzbees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: the choirgirl hotel
Posts: 12,614
Local Time: 05:20 PM
Sting, we're all aware of the results of the 2004 election. There's no need to post them simply because someone has posted an article which is critical of the President. The fact that Bush was re-elected doesn't mean that people don't still have legitimate objections to his policies.
__________________
FizzingWhizzbees is offline  
Old 08-07-2005, 12:38 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
Sting, we're all aware of the results of the 2004 election. There's no need to post them simply because someone has posted an article which is critical of the President. The fact that Bush was re-elected doesn't mean that people don't still have legitimate objections to his policies.
If I may disagree....

The title of the thread, coupled with the fact that there is no grounds on which to call for an impeachment, lead me to the exact same place that Sting went.

The last reasonable measure of the American people's feelings about who should be president was the election held last November.

He won a majority of the votes and the electoral college.

The article, which rips my heart out at the anguish this woman must be feeling, is in my opinion a publicity stunt. Not legitimate criticism.
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 08-07-2005, 12:52 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 12:20 PM
Some days, I wish we could have a parliamentary democracy and hold "no confidence" votes.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 08-07-2005, 12:57 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life
 
FizzingWhizzbees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: the choirgirl hotel
Posts: 12,614
Local Time: 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
He won a majority of the votes and the electoral college.

The article, which rips my heart out at the anguish this woman must be feeling, is in my opinion a publicity stunt. Not legitimate criticism.
Nobody is denying that Bush won the election, I just feel that merely posting the results of the 2004 election ignores the issues raised in the article.
__________________
FizzingWhizzbees is offline  
Old 08-07-2005, 01:02 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 12:20 PM
The main issue of the article and the thread title is to imply there is a need for impeachment.

There is no need for impeachment, there was an election.
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 08-07-2005, 01:05 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 12:20 PM
Impeachment is not about elections or popularity, but whether a crime was committed while in office.

Clinton was impeached with a 60%+ approval rating.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 08-07-2005, 01:06 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Some days, I wish we could have a parliamentary democracy and hold "no confidence" votes.

Melon
In a way I agree with you.....but sometimes I think it good that it is a difficult process to remove a President.
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 08-07-2005, 01:08 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Impeachment is not about elections or popularity, but whether a crime was committed while in office.

Clinton was impeached with a 60%+ approval rating.

Melon
Correct, however, there is nothing new to my knowledge since the election that would change my mind on this position. If there were a crime, there would have been less votes for him 9 months ago.

Again, I feel the woman's pain, but the publicity stunt surrounding this is wrong.
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 08-07-2005, 04:39 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 12:20 PM
Oh I agree with you. I believe that a lot of what Bush has done has been grossly unethical, but the fact is that it is plain not illegal to openly lie to the public. Period.

Likewise, FOX News was once sued for making fictitious news by news producers who were fired for not going along with it. The courts said that it was not illegal to fabricate news.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 08-07-2005, 06:02 PM   #12
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Again, I feel the woman's pain, but the publicity stunt surrounding this is wrong.
Why is it more wrong than any other antiwar demonstration? If it was called the "Bush Killed Our Sons Tour" instead of the "Impeachment Tour," would you still say that?

I think it is her right as a parent to demand more credible answers for why the cause that claimed her son is "noble," and she's not gonna get them by dutifully writing her Congressman. Nor is she obligated to stoically swallow Duffy's easy platitudes and keep her mouth shut just because her son was a soldier.

That's not to say this is the way I'd go about doing it, God forbid, but your response seems inappropriately judgmental to me.
__________________
yolland is offline  
Old 08-07-2005, 06:33 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 12:20 PM
Yes, President Bush himself killed their sons.... Nevermind the fact that those sons CHOSE to join the military knowing that that choice meant accepting orders from their Commander in Chief, whoever that could be. And what does any of that even have to do with impeachment anyway? I can never understand why these women use something as terrible and painful as the deaths of their sons to further their own political agendas.
__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 08-07-2005, 07:20 PM   #14
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
Yes, President Bush himself killed their sons.... Nevermind the fact that those sons CHOSE to join the military knowing that that choice meant accepting orders from their Commander in Chief, whoever that could be.
If it was your son who had died, I doubt you'd be so glib about it.

Quote:
I can never understand why these women use something as terrible and painful as the deaths of their sons to further their own political agendas.
I had the impression that grief and anger over her son's death was itself the driving force behind her "agenda," rather than a happy coincidence that she seized upon to bolster some pre-existing impeachment campaign. That's an awfully cynical presumption to make on your part.

Quote:
And what does any of that even have to do with impeachment anyway?
Because of the case made by some in the antiwar movement that the war is itself a crime. I'm not saying I hold that view (or any of her other views), but there is nothing unique or novel about that line of argument.

At any rate, impeachment was clearly NOT the focus for Ms. Sheehan at this protest; none of the quotes attributed to her even mention it. Getting a chance to confront Bush face-to-face was her main goal.
__________________
yolland is offline  
Old 08-07-2005, 07:40 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland


Why is it more wrong than any other antiwar demonstration? If it was called the "Bush Killed Our Sons Tour" instead of the "Impeachment Tour," would you still say that?

........

That's not to say this is the way I'd go about doing it, God forbid, but your response seems inappropriately judgmental to me.
Ummm..Yes I would still say that.

Care to clarify why my finding this wrong is innapropriate? PM me if you like.
__________________

__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com