MERGED --> Impeachment Tour + Mother of US Soldier Vows To Follow Bush Around - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2005, 12:22 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:34 PM
I would just guess it's preferable for him to meet w/ people who won't challenge him on Iraq, if she didn't have those feelings about Iraq he would meet w/ her in a heartbeat. Why is he dodging the questions?

A presidential spokesman said the time in Crawford is a time for Bush to ''shed his coat and tie and meet with folks in the heartland and hear what's on their minds."

Is that only if what's on their minds fits into a neat little PC, good publicity box? It seems the answer is, maybe

Old 08-11-2005, 06:08 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:34 PM
Mother of US Soldier Killed in Iraq Vows to Follow Bush Around

I don't know how much this event has been covered around the U.S., but in Texas it's big news.

I saw Cindy Sheehan speak last Friday and all I can say is that any president of the USA should bend over backwards to meet with any parent of a US soldier killed in the line of duty.

That's the least they could do for that parent.

No matter what the parent has to say, the president needs to see the tears and hear the pain in the voice of a grieving parent.

That's "compassionate conservatism".

Here's the article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050811...r_050811205805

Mother of US Iraq casualty vows to follow Bush

CRAWFORD, United States (AFP) - The mother of a US soldier killed in Iraq warned she would camp outside the White House next month if US President George W. Bush refuses to meet with her here at his ranch.

"I don't understand why he cannot spend ten minutes of his time to talk to somebody whose life he has devastated," said Cindy Sheehan, 48, who has been camped out about a kilometer from the gates of Bush's ranch since Saturday.

Sheehan, whose son, Casey, was killed in April 2004 five days after arriving in Iraq , wants to meet with Bush face-to-face to deliver her anti-war message.

"I want Bush to stop using my son's sacrifice to justify the killing," she told reporters, insisting that "he needs to bring the troops home now."

After meeting at his ranch with his top foreign policy advisers, Bush said: "It's very important for our citizens, no matter what side of the political aisle you're on, to understand that the mission is a vital mission."

"Listen, I sympathize with Mrs. Sheehan. She feels strongly about her position. And she has every right in the world to say what she believes. This is America. She has a right to her position," he said.

"I thought long and hard about her position. I've heard her position from others, which is: Get out of Iraq now. And it would be a mistake for the security of this country and the ability to lay the foundations for peace in the long run if we were to do so," he said.

"I met with a lot of families" who lost relatives in Iraq said Bush. "And I have done my best to bring comfort to the families and honor to the loved one. You get different opinions when you meet with moms and dads and sons and daughters and the wives and husbands of those who have fallen."

"One opinion I've come away with universally is that, you know, we should do everything we can to honor the fallen. And one way to honor the fallen is to lay the foundation for peace," said Bush.

Nearly 140,000 US troops are in Iraq, where more than 1,830 have been killed since Bush ordered the March 2003 invasion to oust Saddam Hussein on grounds he possessed weapons of mass destruction that were never found.

"I don't think aggression on a country that was no threat to the United States is noble," said Sheehan, who met with Bush previously in June 2004 along with other families who lost relatives in Iraq.

Afterwards, Sheehan told her local newspaper that she said that she and her family "haven't been happy with the way the war has been handled" or with Bush's changing justifications for the invasion, but had opted to stifle such criticisms in the meeting.

"I now know he's sincere about wanting freedom for the Iraqis," Cindy told the Vacaville Reporter newspaper after their meeting. "I know he's sorry and feels some pain for our loss. And I know he's a man of faith."

While the White House has invoked that meeting to deny her another audience with Bush, Sheehan now says the president "disrespectful (and) inappropriate" and referred to her as "Mom."

Old 08-11-2005, 06:15 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Hate to say it, but what is Bush really supposed to do? I suppose he could just go meet with her again, even though he's supposedly met with her last year.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:21 PM   #49
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:34 AM
She just does'nt know how to grieve. She's taking out her anger
on Bush even though her son signed up for the army. Unfortunatley, I think she's just wasted her time.
But hey it's America, you can protest here.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:24 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:34 AM
I'm waiting for the Fox News talking points.

We've seen one already above - 'she just doesn't know how to grieve.'

The other one is 'Her heart's in the right place, but she's being manipulated by the far left!'

Don't forget to stay on message Shrub supporters, your hero needs you at this hour.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:31 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'm waiting for the semi-humorous but meaningless Bush-bashing comments that offer no advice as to how Bush should actually respond to the matter.

oh, wait...
Old 08-11-2005, 06:33 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
I'm waiting for the semi-humorous but meaningless Bush-bashing comments that offer no advice as to how Bush should actually respond to the matter.

oh, wait...
Richard Nixon met anti-war protestors. In fact he got up at the crack of dawn to do so.

Oh I forgot.

Richard Nixon was a real leader.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:06 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:34 AM
agree with financeguy. If you can't take the flak for your decisions, you don't deserve to lead. It does not take much character to only give access to your supporters.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:08 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

Too bad there is a 48 hour old thread on this already.....

Maybe a mod can merge it....
Old 08-11-2005, 08:13 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
agree with financeguy. If you can't take the flak for your decisions, you don't deserve to lead. It does not take much character to only give access to your supporters.
Bush has already met with this women as well as hundreds of other families, many of whom support the war. Bush has taken more flak than probably most Presidents have in the middle of a war. There was an election in November of 2004, when the American people had the opportunity to voice their opinion on this particular issue. They did, and Bush is still the President. He deserves to lead because he has been chosen by the American people to lead.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:17 PM   #56
Acrobat

Right on STING2!
Old 08-11-2005, 08:23 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

The problem is, STING and others that look for the truth, and support their arguments with facts....but they are easy to ignore when the opportunity is there to bash Bush.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:27 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

"We do not agree with the political motivations and publicity tactics of Cindy Sheehan. She now appears to be promoting her own personal agenda and notoriety at the expense of her son's good name and reputation.'

http://thereporter.com/news/ci_2934150
Old 08-11-2005, 08:38 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

"The rest of the Sheehan family supports the troops, our country and our president, silently, with prayer and respect.'"

Troops, country, president, and prayer in the same sentence....

'Silently' - it seems that they're contradicting themselves somewhat.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:44 PM   #60
War Child

you stole my thread