MERGED--> Illegal Immigration + Illegal Aliens USA - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:56 PM
Illegal Aliens USA

What do you think?

Old 04-10-2006, 10:18 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:56 PM
No one really cares that people break the law.

Old 04-10-2006, 10:22 PM   #3
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:56 AM
so those in their ivory towers dont love their neighbours?
Old 04-10-2006, 10:23 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Let's start prosecuting and heavily fining those who employ illegal immigrants. I think it would be fun to watch some CEOs cry.

Melon
Old 04-10-2006, 10:24 PM   #5
Jesus Online

but just to clarify, i have no opinion on illegal immigrants in the us. only americans care.

Old 04-10-2006, 10:26 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Let's start prosecuting and heavily fining those who employ illegal immigrants. I think it would be fun to watch some CEOs cry.

Melon
Those laws are in place as well, thought their enforcement is not consistent either. I've had to show a passport for every job I've taken.

Do statistics show that large corporations are the biggest employers of illegals?
Old 04-10-2006, 10:27 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
but just to clarify, i have no opinion on illegal immigrants in the us. only americans care.

Care for what?

Immigration policy?

World economics?

Fair trade?
Old 04-10-2006, 10:29 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Illegal Aliens USA

Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse
What do you think?
Old 04-10-2006, 10:30 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Those laws are in place as well, thought their enforcement is not consistent either. I've had to show a passport for every job I've taken.

Do statistics show that large corporations are the biggest employers of illegals?
As an example, it's been stated that if you walk into any meat processing plant in Nebraska, you're going to find nothing but illegal immigrants.

As for passports, pretty much nobody in Middle America is expected to have one, and as long as you have a fake ID and fake SSN card, you're in good shape. Illegal immigrants contribute $7 billion a year in Social Security taxes, because there's no system to validate whether the number presented at employment is correct.

You could say that the government has failed to do its job, and with all the mass hysteria generated by the GOP on this election year (surprise, surprise!), there's been no discussion on verifying SSNs.

Melon
Old 04-10-2006, 10:35 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:56 PM
Yeah I guess it has been a whole 2 weeks since a thread about illegal immigrants.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:37 PM   #11
Jesus Online

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Care for what?

Immigration policy?

World economics?

Fair trade?

you might have missed the title of this thread. i cant help but wonder why it was written for americans...as if you guys are the only ones with this issue?... if the author intended this to be about the specifics of say, mexicans and the US, fine. but he didn't state so. therefore. it just comes across as arrogance and tunnel vision.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:49 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

My dad recently explained his personal experience to me, because I was ranting about how I'm more pissed that emplpyers get away with employing illegals (and basically exploiting them) than the fact that they are here. My dad is a sales rep for a huge lumber and veneer company. They have plants all over the US and Canada. At some of the US plants, most of the plant workers are Mexican, and most are illegal. The problem is that when the plant hires workers, if the worker is able to produce one of three documents (can't remember exactly what), then the employer legally cannot challenge whether or not the person is illegal. So many of the illegals purchase Social Security Numbers and use them to get jobs. Of course the plants know they are illegal, but THEY could be prosecuted if they refuse to hire someone because they are suspicious of whether their SSN is legit.

I realize that many companies love to hire illegals and exploit them, but I guess I never realized that even for companies that prefer not to, it's difficult because they are not allowed to challenge the validity of someone's documents even if they suspect they are fake, stolen, or were sold.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:58 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

you might have missed the title of this thread. i cant help but wonder why it was written for americans...as if you guys are the only ones with this issue?... if the author intended this to be about the specifics of say, mexicans and the US, fine. but he didn't state so. therefore. it just comes across as arrogance and tunnel vision.
Why is it arrogance when a US member starts a thread (albeit vague) regarding illegal immigration?
Old 04-10-2006, 11:20 PM   #14
Jesus Online

Ah sheesus, nbc. It's not his being American which makes him look arrogant. It's directing this topic toward the American audience only. It's blase forgetting the rest of the world. Or is it? I cant tell. The thread starts with one sentence and is titled to single out the US only. If it's (like I said) for the US to discuss those who border you anmd specifically look at their illegal entering of your country, then fine. However, after a bloody poor start (of one vague sentence - which appears to be agenda driven - regardless of how you might see it), this is looking very much to be either an opportunity to stir shit by revving everyone up and getting their backs up over (I assume) S. American immigrants (Do Canadas frequently sneak over your borders?) or an ego-centric situation where again only the US seems to matter or is relevant. Etc, etc, etc.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:31 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Ah sheesus, nbc. It's not his being American which makes him look arrogant. It's directing this topic toward the American audience only. It's blase forgetting the rest of the world. Or is it? I cant tell. The thread starts with one sentence and is titled to single out the US only. If it's (like I said) for the US to discuss those who border you anmd specifically look at their illegal entering of your country, then fine. However, after a bloody poor start (of one vague sentence - which appears to be agenda driven - regardless of how you might see it), this is looking very much to be either an opportunity to stir shit by revving everyone up and getting their backs up over (I assume) S. American immigrants (Do Canadas frequently sneak over your borders?) or an ego-centric situation where again only the US seems to matter or is relevant. Etc, etc, etc.

Anyone can discuss the illegal immigration situation in the US.

The thread started unfortunately vague, which is not helped its content.

The fact is we had various protests across the US today. The protests, however, did not suggest a solution to the current situation.