MERGED--> Illegal Immigration + Illegal Aliens USA - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #46
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
And pretty much the people getting the most attention out of this is the illegal mexican immigrants, who once again show there egotistical attitude and trying to be a more important hispanic race than other smaller countries.
Wow I don't even know where to begin with this statement.

So I won't comment except the arrogance is on the other side.

Old 04-12-2006, 06:30 PM   #47
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
If you give a mouse a cookie...

So we're trapping them?

Old 04-12-2006, 06:32 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

So we're trapping them?
Not quite...

Old 04-12-2006, 06:37 PM   #49
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Not quite...

Gotcha. I'm not up to date with my children's books.

But honestly can we blame them? If you were living in those conditions and had a chance to better your life...
Old 04-12-2006, 06:48 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie

It's a tough call because I can appreciate them wanting a better life, but it also shows a complete lack of respect in my opinion. People get wind that amnesty may be granted and then all of a sudden the flood gates open. It's a slap in the face to those people going through the system and trying to do it the right way. There just isn't a simple solution.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:12 PM   #51
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
but it also shows a complete lack of respect in my opinion. People get wind that amnesty may be granted and then all of a sudden the flood gates open. It's a slap in the face to those people going through the system and trying to do it the right way. There just isn't a simple solution.
Lack of respect? That's pretty much how America started. People got wind and came here in flocks.

When you're fighting for your family, red tape isn't a factor.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:21 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie

All I'm saying is that making a mad dash to the border in hordes isn't going to help them at all. It's just going to piss more people off that are already not the biggest supporters of illegal immigrants and make it harder on themselves.

For me this Teddy Roosevelt quote pretty much sums it up for me:

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
Old 04-12-2006, 07:27 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:34 PM
Never heard that quote before. Very good one and true. I wish the Teddy or Franklin were our presidents today.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:36 PM   #54
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I agree with the Roosevelt quote, of course it's a little harder now than then to just move here and assimilate, but for the most part I agree with that quote.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:26 PM   #55
Refugee

Local Time: 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
Illegal immigration costs Tax payers Billions of Dollars. in 1996 alone it costs 33 Billion dollars.

http://www.fairus.org/site/PageServe...suecentersf134

Peoples ID's are being stolen and used by illegal immigrants which hurt citizens of this country.

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2006/03/hidden_cost_of_.html

We need to enfore strict border policy's and get a guest worker program started. I have mentioned this before that we need a more secure border.

More info on how much it costs to school and treat illegals.

http://www.kpho.com/Global/story.asp...0&nav=DIH7Ssy8

http://www.cis.org/articles/2004/fiscalrelease.html

"Among the findings:

Illegal alien households are estimated to use $2,700 a year more in services than they pay in taxes, creating a total fiscal burden of nearly $10.4 billion on the federal budget in 2002."

And the job they do proping up failed American compainies and making the goods you buy less expensive...what price do you put on that?
Old 04-13-2006, 12:18 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:34 PM
Ok, here's my contribution to the soup:

I have the utmost respect and downright awe for ANYONE who works 70 hours a week for usually pathetic wages (by most American standards), often in jobs that are at the lowest end of the 'dignity spectrum', sending 90% of their take-home pay back to Chihuahua, Ecuador, San Salvador, where ever, to support a whole family of relatives - and that's what many of the Latin immigrants here in SE North Carolina are doing. My hat's off to them - I marvel at their drive & determination. I don't begrudge them or any other law-abiding soul the opportunity to come to the US & make a life for themselves.

I do, however, have a severe lack of tolerance for those who a)refuse to gain LEGAL access to the jobs, governmental programs, and other opportunities available here in the States; b) refuse to learn the generally accepted 'official' language (I realize the US doesn't have an actual 'official language', but that's another argument for another day!); c) disobey laws, rules and guidelines while using their immigrant status as an excuse/crutch as to why they should be allowed to get away with such behavior. The "I didn't know" defense - dammit, GET TO KNOW.

By the grace of God, I was born an American in the United States -I will likely never know a fraction of the hardships some of these folks have faced in their lives & I am painfully aware of that every time this discussion comes up. However, if for some reason, Americans starting crossing into the borders of Uzbhekistan in droves, should we expect them to start speaking American English so they could communicate with us? Overlook our illegal status in the country & allow us to stay because - Hey, we're already here... ? I don't think so.

As I said, I'm all for anyone who wants to come to the US to try & better themselves. But, by God, DO IT LEGALLY. Pay your taxes, learn the language, follow the laws of the land... that's all. Is that really asking so much?
Old 04-13-2006, 12:19 AM   #57
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Carek1230
Illegal immigrants are, simply put, illegal. Something needs to be done to limit this from happening, and I agree that tighter restrictions need to be placed on employers with stiff penalties for employing illegals. As much as I am opposed to Bush, I have to agree something needs to be done about this illegal immigrant issue. I am tired of hearing about it on the news, I am tired of hearing it being discussed. I am tired of seeing tax payer money being wasted on this issue. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT NOW!
I am in agreement here. I usually do not post on this forum and I am sure will annoy people in doind so but this is a topic I feel very strongly about. I have worked in the restaurant business for 18 years and it amazes me how many illegal immigrants I have working with me. Everything from the dishwasher to waiter to food runner to chef. Quite honestly I do not see this one business surviving without them.

This being said my husband is a chef of 20 years and cannot find a job for more than $15 an hour because the latest Brazilian that has come to town (sorry not meaning to be offensive, where I am has seen a huge influx in the Brazilian population in the past few years) will take the same job for 10. Also more annoying to me as someone who works in my profession that does not get health insurance, it boils my blood that the dishwasher can go into a hospital with her sick kid and not be excpected to pay a dime but if I go they will charge me every penny and hunt me for life until I do so.

Also interesting enough many of my co-workers have said how much the prices have risen where they are from. This is because the American dollar is so great that the countries are price gouging because they know all their income is coming from America.

There is no easy answer to this question. Yes we are all immigrants and at one time "illiegals" (well my Mom is 100% native american but that is a whole nother can of worms) but this situation is out of control. Maybe the restaurants need to close, maybe easier laws need to be made but for sure-all people that live on our soil need to treated as all others. This meaning you need to be legal-have a SSN that is legit, pay your taxes, get registered to vote and stop draining money out of my pocket (and not for a minute to I believe in other wise)

America is the land of oppurtunity not the land of come and get it.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:21 AM   #58
War Child

opps sorry did not see the other thread
Old 04-13-2006, 01:18 AM   #59
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:34 AM
I just split all the recent posts off from the old (2005) thread that thrillme bumped and merged the results with iron horse's thread...just in case anyone's scratching their heads about the new sequence here...

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-13-2006, 01:56 AM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Multiple problems with no great solutions.
No real leadership on the issue, from anywhere.....

Where is the policy headed?

http://www.pollingreport.com/immigration.htm

just some polling FYI to show where the polticians will be headed, if they want to stay in office.........

It appears the majority of Americans have found an issue they can agree on.