MERGED -- > I love Michael Moore + F*ck Michael Moore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My belated comment on Michael Moore's speech: I've no problem with what he wanted to say, but IMO there was something incredibly self-satisified about the way he went about it, sort of like "oh please oh please boo me everybody, so that all can see how incredibly courageous I am". There was a good reason why nobody booed that guy who said that, if Frida Kahlo was alive, she would be against this war.

kariatari said:

It just kills me that Bush is asking for an additional $74.7 billion to fund this war so we can "free the iraqis and save tens of thousands of lives each year...:blahblah:" If Bush were sincere about saving lives, he could easily divert his attetion and funds to Africa, where he could save the lives of the 19,000 babies that die EACH DAY - most from dehydration or diarrhea which can be easily cured with water and a tablespoon of salt for chrissakes! It would cost a fraction of the price AND it would save the lives of our soldiers.

*sigh*Damn. If only Africa had oil...

:|

Well, I don't mean to derail your post too much, and I am the first one to speak up about the need of African Aid (I give both my time and money to the cause) BUT your numbers are a bit off I think.
First of all getting rid of Saddam and lifting sanctions will most likely save MANY more lives than just tens of thousands a year. Conservative estimates put the number of people dead in Iraq because of lack of basic food and medicine at 1.2 million in the last 12 years. Tony Blair just stated on Wednesday that human rights groups state that 400,000 children under the age of 5 have died in the last 5 years in Iraq because of starvation and disease. That's 80,000 a year under the age of 5! This is in a formerly wealthy and healthy country the size of California. We're not talking about the largest continent in the world.

Also I haven't heard the figure of 19,000 babies a day??? I have heard Bono say 6,000 a week. but I may be wrong and I hate to quibble about how many babies are dying, but my point is, there is an humanitarian crisis in both areas.

Bush did give 15 Billion dollars for African relief, far more than any other country.

And Africa does have oil. They just don't have the money and resources to get to it.

Last edited:
thanks for the link. Like I said, I don't want to argue over how many kids are dying and which one is worse. I am saying that America budgeted 15 billion for Africa (whether you think the money will make it there or not), and the reason that the Coalition is going into Iraq is not to help starving and dying children directly, but the fact of getting rid of Saddam will in turn help save dying people a is a HUGE plus in my eyes.

It appears they we have divided into Pro-Melon and Anti-Melon factions. That being said I'll obviously through my support to the fruity, tutti Melon.

Additionally, I heard that "Stupid White Men" has returned to the top of the New York Times bestsellers list! After nearly 6 months since his book began falling off the radar proves Bush's popularity rating even more questionable. I would assume that Moore's book has sold nearly 1 million copies. That's a guess. Considering how many people opted to check the book out from their local library, I'd say that more than 2 million have read the book and even more have heard the main jist of its themes.

Who should we believe: the people who are actually spending their hard earned cash on Moore's book or Fox News Network's biased polls?

Back
Top Bottom