MERGED -- > I love Michael Moore + F*ck Michael Moore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
YOU ALL ARE MAKING A BIG DEAL OUT OF A SPEECH! He was simply anti-war and anti-bush, I wouldn't blame the guy.... Fine, he didn't speak well... But, he wanted to make a point...

I don't support this war, and I care for the people being forced into this war... It's pathetic that thousends of innocent Iraqi's and Americans are being killed for the "operation of Iraqi freedom"... Which doesn't gaurantee what it states....
Believe me, not all of you know the whole story on Iraq... This country holds a lot of responsibilities in different aspects... The US is only creating more of a conflict in the long run... I can't get into this topic right now...
Anyways, Its disturbing that young men are being prepared to die for a war that has no clear cut objective....

We are talking about human lives... So what if Michael Moore or someone else on behalf of the entertainment industry wants to express their frusturation on that... I'm glad to know that we have some entertainers who see past their mansions.

Fine, he should have been greatful for the award... But, I would feel guilty accepting a prestigious award while innocent children are hiding under their parents arms as glass is flying everywhere around them.....

my point being, it shouldn't be a big deal that he made that speech.

O, by the way, for all the Bush supporters... It's nice to know that you all are enjoying this fantacy that he is presenting to you....

melon said:

With all due respect, it seems that you aren't familiar with the "government" that Mr. Moore has made a career out of deriding. The documentary that got Michael Moore famous, "Roger and Me" (1989), was about the closure General Motors' plant at Flint, Michigan (where Moore is from), which resulted in the loss of 30,000 jobs. Being from Michigan, I can tell you that Flint, to this day, has never recovered from that and may never recover at all. And where was "government" that entire time? Deregulating industry and repealing labor laws. As a nation, our wages are *still* not as good as they were before Reagan's reign of terror, when adjusted for inflation.

Moore never may be the most eloquent of individuals, but I fathom that he may have a greater handle of what this "government" is about than you wish to give him credit for. And why the hell should he or any of us settle for crap for government? Just because Dubya told us to? It is unfortunate that so many years have passed now that people think that this is the way our country has always been.

Melon

Melon, :bow: Just when I think a more intelligent, thoughtful, and succint response couldn't appear you show up. I'm not being sarcastic, either.

It is unfortunate that we think we have to settle for a government that is less than ideal just because it's better than another one. Ughh.

Whatever this idea that we have to settle for less than we are capable of, or unconditionally support our government in order to be a true Patriot is complete nonsense. Ughh.

elfyx said:
Whatever this idea that we have to settle for less than we are capable of, or unconditionally support our government in order to be a true Patriot is complete nonsense. Ughh.
there's only one thing i can say to that: melon for president in 2004!! :D

:laugh: khan, i can see the results now: 12 write ins for "melon"

and amna - this thread is not just about what moore said at the oscars, more about who he is and what he does.

But it IS okay to call Moore names? Riiiiight.

("fat bastard" or "troll" like you put it)

KhanadaRhodes said:

there's only one thing i can say to that: melon for president in 2004!! :D

If you want that, we'll have to start a campaign to amend the Constitution to remove the age limitations. As it stands, I won't be 35 (the minimum age) until 2015 and the next election after that is 2016.

Melon

michael moore has never made a documentary i his life... last time i checked, a documentary was supposed to be presented "objectively without editorializing." seeing as every economics, american history & mass media class in the world shows "roger & me," i have seen it many a time. and as i happened to enjoy the movie, it certainly was not objective and without editorializing. i haven't seen bowling for columbine, but :shock and awe: i am pro gun control, despite being a no good dirty republican.

just laying down the groundwork for my own 2016 campaign.. seeing as that too is the first year i will be eligible:evil:

i'm gonna need a running mate... you gonna be available diamond?

Last edited:
melon said:

With all due respect, it seems that you aren't familiar with the "government" that Mr. Moore has made a career out of deriding. The documentary that got Michael Moore famous, "Roger and Me" (1989), was about the closure General Motors' plant at Flint, Michigan (where Moore is from), which resulted in the loss of 30,000 jobs. Being from Michigan, I can tell you that Flint, to this day, has never recovered from that and may never recover at all. And where was "government" that entire time? Deregulating industry and repealing labor laws. As a nation, our wages are *still* not as good as they were before Reagan's reign of terror, when adjusted for inflation.

Moore never may be the most eloquent of individuals, but I fathom that he may have a greater handle of what this "government" is about than you wish to give him credit for. And why the hell should he or any of us settle for crap for government? Just because Dubya told us to? It is unfortunate that so many years have passed now that people think that this is the way our country has always been.

Melon

Kudos Melon - you are obviously well read. It makes my head ache when I think about the lengths that were gone to in securing Dubya in the Oval Office.

And now Halliburton gets the contract in Iraq? Oh that stinks of insider favors. Does Cheney still have his stock? Man these politicians have no shame. They must think we are stupid - oh yes nevermind - we have proven we can't be bothered to do anything about it [see election 2000]. Even our so called liberal media let that story slide by.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
so let's listen to moore and all live like cuba... 'cause they are sooooooooooooooooooo much better off than we are.

Do you even know what you are talking about? Moore never said that we should live like Cuba. His point was that Elian belonged at home and that given the cutbacks and general antipathy of health care in the US he would probably live healthier than the poor children in the US do.

so let's listen to moore and all live like cuba... 'cause they are sooooooooooooooooooo much better off than we are.

You're completely off-base. There is no other "more eloquent" way to put this. Actually look at Moore's work, rather than rehash corporate media pundits' half-assed opinions of him. I have never once seen Moore approve of communism. If this is your opinion of everyone who creates a formidable opinion against the government--they're "communists"--then I will bury you in 2016. :sexywink:

:shock and awe: "Bowling for Columbine," actually, showed the folly of gun control. I guess you wouldn't expect that from a "communist"? Why don't you actually watch it before you comment on it?

Melon

Lilly said:
:laugh: khan, i can see the results now: 12 write ins for "melon"
:laugh: i know!

melon said:
If you want that, we'll have to start a campaign to amend the Constitution to remove the age limitations. As it stands, I won't be 35 (the minimum age) until 2015 and the next election after that is 2016.
oooh!! :jumpingupanddownandclappingexcitedlysmilie: :hmm: well then...

melon for president in 2016!

i merely said that i was in favor of gun control, and that i have never seen bowling for columbine... i appologize if you considered that a negative comment on the movie

i never once called mr. moore a communist... i simply said that he believed elian would have been better off in cuba and that he once promoted the readings of lenin and marx on his website. you can make your own conclusions based on that.

how come everyone's trying to defend moore based on the elian gonzalez comment he made but not a single person is has touched upon his very dangerous 9/11 comments and his wish that all members of congress came down with cancer? i'd like to hear someone try to defend him on that.

mr. moore claims to be a "working class stiff." right... and i'm jesus. the closest he's ever gotten to working class is one day on the assembly line at a ford plant. if he truly cares about those people in flint without jobs, why does he currently base himself in manhattan's upper west side, where the only working class stiffs are the maids, butlers and drivers? why not base himself in flint?

and as for 2016... i will break you :hyper:

I just found this in a review of his book, Stupid White Men. Is this what you were talking about, Headache?

"Chapter 11, ?The People?s Prayer?, could prove to be too much for some people. Moore writes humorously about his wish that all the members of congress would suddenly develop incurable cancer, have a son/daughter come out of the closet, or suffer some type of personal misfortune. This, Moore believes, will cause them all to realize that the grass isn?t so green for some members of the public and it would serve as a wake up call for more government action in these areas. "

at least make me a supreme court justice

melon said:

Melon

can i be your running mate? :wink:

ehh...is there an age requirement to vice president? :mad:

not a single person is has touched upon his very dangerous 9/11 comments and his wish that all members of congress came down with cancer? i'd like to hear someone try to defend him on that.

I really don't think he means that SERIOUSLY. It's a (rather tactless) figure of speech, kind of like how my mom is always telling me that I "need a good war" to teach me to be less greedy or wasteful or whatever the issue is. He just means that they would understand people's issues better if they experienced them themselves.

he 'convientently' picks and chooses when is info is accurate or not and when cornered says "oh im just a comedian" which is rather reckless.

It appears Bush has gotten our country in a huge mess, but until our service people are safely home, we should support them best we can. History will eventually prove Bush right or wrong, but right now so many lives are in peril.. It is a sad situation........

melon, you freakin' rock! ;) :up:

meegannie, thanks for posting the context of the "cancer" quote Headache posted. :) I knew what Headache was talking about in the post, and I new that it had been edited selectively.

Headache, have you actually read "Stupid White Men" or are you just copying and pasting those selected quotes from some anti-Moore ultra conservative site? :confused: I'm not asking to be snotty, I really am curious.

I do not support the war one bit. I do not support Bush one bit. I hope and pray for the safe return of the troops, but I don't support what they are doing one bit. My anti-war/anti-bush opinions have only been strengthened since I found out my cousin (more like my big brother) is being sent to Iraq on Monday.

It just kills me that Bush is asking for an additional $74.7 billion to fund this war so we can "free the iraqis and save tens of thousands of lives each year...:blahblah:" If Bush were sincere about saving lives, he could easily divert his attetion and funds to Africa, where he could save the lives of the 19,000 babies that die EACH DAY - most from dehydration or diarrhea which can be easily cured with water and a tablespoon of salt for chrissakes! It would cost a fraction of the price AND it would save the lives of our soldiers.

*sigh*Damn. If only Africa had oil...

:|

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom