MERGED==> High Frutose Corn Syrup/Artificial Sweetners - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 04-19-2007, 11:32 PM   #46
War Child
Local Time: 05:26 PM
Re: Re: Re: btw, did you see that CWK was this best thing at the recent KCRW show?

Originally posted by deep

HFCS: From the Lips to the Hips?

by Mary Ann Ryan
That question mark is there for a reason.

Not only is it incorporated into cookies, candies, and other confections, but also in numerous foods where one would not expect to find sugar: hot dogs, Italian-flavored bread crumb mix, ketchup, and the buns around cheeseburgers, to name a few.
Yeah, it's crazy all the stuff we put sweeteners into. But if it wasn't HFCS, it would be someother sweetener. It's present in a lot of products because we humans like the taste of sweet things.

“Consumption of high-fructose corn syrup in beverages may play a role in the epidemic of obesity,” reads the title of a report by George Bray and colleagues in the April 2004 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
The co-author of Dr. Bray's report also said in a July 6, 2006 New York Times article, "It was a theory meant to spur science, but it’s quite possible that it may be found out not to be true. I don’t think there should be a perception that highfructose corn syrup has caused obesity until we know more.”

Some of the health concerns about the effect of HFCS on health have to do with the fructose component of the sweetener. HFCS contains either 42% or 55% fructose (designated 42-HFCS and 55-HFCS, respectively) combined with 42−52% glucose and a few percent of higher saccharides.
(It should be pointed out that sucrose–table sugar–when digested, yields a 50:50 proportion of glucose and fructose, a mix similar to HFCS, and the intake of too much sucrose may pose the same issues raised about HFCS.)
So sugar from sugar cane, sugar beets, or all ends up as about 50:50 glucose and fructose. And none of it is good for your body in large quantities.

But there’s no denying that it’s easy to overdo caloric intake when super-sized soft drinks served in 32-oz cups–and containing the HFCS-equivalent of 20 teaspoons of sugar–are commonly the size of choice. Maybe it’s time to lighten up.
So in summary: if the cane sugar in soda at Whole Foods tastes better to you (you can definitely taste a difference), be my guest and pay more for it. But it will kill you just as fast as corn syrup.

My theory is that we just tend to dislike things that are cheap and ubiquitous.

I should say, I'm no expert on this...I just did some reading (via google!) a couple weeks ago when someone told me to avoid HFCS at all costs. Maybe we'll find out it is worse than other sweetners, but the evidence doesn't seem to be there for it. I just wanted to make sure the other side of the coin was presented, because you won't get it from a simple google search for "HFCS".

Old 04-20-2007, 05:22 PM   #47
love, blood, life
Local Time: 04:26 PM
Big Grin

Originally posted by deep

Well, his point was that because of corn price supports there is so much corn, at such low prices, the large food manufacturers are using it in everything.
Prices are on the rise, though. I have seen a few articles recently (I am sure you can pull them up via a google search) about Coca-Cola prices going up due to...and I love this...the shift of corn production from corn syrup to ETHANOL!

As we try to find a solution for our dependence on foreign oil, our food may get healthier because the cheaper sweetener will no longer be "cheaper."

NOW THAT is a conspiracy!