MERGED==> High Frutose Corn Syrup/Artificial Sweetners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've stopped drinking soda instead. I haven't had one since January, and I don't miss them. I'm drinking a lot more water, and when I feel like something flavored, I have tea, seltzer, or occasionally a Vitamin Water.

I think one thread is sufficient, especially considering that the original was not posted all that long ago. Carry on.

I personally do everything I can to avoid corn syrup. I am an obsessive nutrition label reader.

deep said:

why not?

i am with the horse man

corn syrup is a killer

but sugar is not much better

people should just lay off the sodas

I agree.

Corn syrup's in EVERYTHING though. that's the problem. I certianly believe it's led to our weight problem here in the U.S. I've recently started trying to really cut it out of my diet as much as possible.

btw, did you see that CWK was this best thing at the recent KCRW show?

coemgen said:

I agree.

Corn syrup's in EVERYTHING though. that's the problem. I certianly believe it's led to our weight problem here in the U.S. I've recently started trying to really cut it out of my diet as much as possible.

I think it may have been the author of "Fastfood Nation" or it may have been a different book author was interviewed on NPR.

Well, his point was that because of corn price supports there is so much corn, at such low prices, the large food manufacturers are using it in everything.

And that this has let to the obesity rates and rise in diabetes.

Well, I believe just about everything I hear on NPR.

So I started buying more raw vegetables and unprocessed food and cut way down on all fast foods.

I dropped some weight, my blood pressure is down, and I have very few head aches now.

Corn is a mass killer.

Last edited:
Re: btw, did you see that CWK was this best thing at the recent KCRW show?

deep said:

Corn is a mass killer.

Ummm...what are we talking about here? This is a joke, right? I know doing a google search is an easy way of doing "research", but it doesn't really cut it.

What's the problem with HFCS? Or corn syrup in general?

The sparkling water is the way to go. If you want cheap flavored water, sometimes I put in some lemon juice and occasionally a sweet and low packet.

A lot better than soda.

Re: Re: btw, did you see that CWK was this best thing at the recent KCRW show?

Spiral_Staircase said:

Ummm...what are we talking about here? This is a joke, right? I know doing a google search is an easy way of doing "research", but it doesn't really cut it.

What's the problem with HFCS? Or corn syrup in general?

I do eat whole corn, on the cob among other vegetables these days.

and I believe HFCS is way over used these days, and a leading factor in America's health concerns. Obesity and hearth disease.

I do believe using the net, for multiple sources of information is a valid way to get good information.

HFCS: From the Lips to the Hips?

by Mary Ann Ryan

Check the label on the container of your favorite soft drink, and, unless it’s the diet variety, you’re likely to find high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) listed as a primary ingredient after water. HFCS, a mixture of two sugars, dextrose and fructose, has become the sweetener of choice in the United States for soft drinks, but its use extends beyond beverages to many processed foods. Not only is it incorporated into cookies, candies, and other confections, but also in numerous foods where one would not expect to find sugar: hot dogs, Italian-flavored bread crumb mix, ketchup, and the buns around cheeseburgers, to name a few.

Dueling headlines about HFCS have appeared in the media recently as a result of research studies suggesting possible links between the increasing consumption of this sweetener and the growing incidence of obesity and diabetes. “Consumption of high-fructose corn syrup in beverages may play a role in the epidemic of obesity,” reads the title of a report by George Bray and colleagues in the April 2004 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. “HFCS is not the cause of Obesity,” retorts the Corn Refiners Association, with a similar statement coming from the National Soft Drink Association.

Comparable volleys have been exchanged over the possible role of HFCS consumption and diabetes.
Production of HFCS
According to the Corn Refiners Association, the making of high fructose corn syrup starts with shelled corn that has been stripped from the cob during harvesting. The corn kernels are put through a wet milling process that separates them into their component parts: starch, germ (the main source of corn oil), fiber, and protein. The starch consists of long chains of sugar molecules, the most basic unit being the simple sugar glucose (also known as dextrose). With further processing, starch is hydrolyzed by enzymes to produce solutions of glucose and other sugars. Finally, some of the glucose is converted to fructose, a sweeter sugar, yielding mixtures of varying composition and sweetness.
The two most widely used mixtures are 42-HFCS (a fructose/glucose mix that is 42% fructose, an isomer of glucose) and 55-HFCS (a sweeter mix containing 55% fructose).

Researchers have been paying increased attention to HFCS because the sweetener has become so prevalent in beverages and processed foods since its introduction in 1967. Bray, a professor of medicine at Louisiana State University and an authority on obesity, writes that consumption of HFCS increased more than 1000% between 1970 and 1990, mirroring the upward trend in obesity statistics. He reports that HFCS now represents more than 40% of caloric sweeteners added to foods and beverages, and he estimates that added sweeteners in general represent an average of 16% of all calorie intake for Americans aged two and over.

Some of the health concerns about the effect of HFCS on health have to do with the fructose component of the sweetener. HFCS contains either 42% or 55% fructose (designated 42-HFCS and 55-HFCS, respectively) combined with 42−52% glucose and a few percent of higher saccharides. Although glucose increases insulin release from the pancreas, fructose does not. Because insulin helps to control sugar consumption by signaling the brain to indicate a sense of satiety, fructose’s lack of a triggering mechanism for insulin may lead to increased calorie consumption, according to Bray and others. Also, fructose appears to convert to fat more readily than glucose because of the ease with which the carbon skeleton of fructose can form the backbone for precursors of long-chain fatty acids. (It should be pointed out that sucrose–table sugar–when digested, yields a 50:50 proportion of glucose and fructose, a mix similar to HFCS, and the intake of too much sucrose may pose the same issues raised about HFCS.) Researchers agree that more study is needed on the effects of HFCS and sucrose, particularly large quantities of these added sweeteners in the diet, to clarify current questions.

HFCS is only one of many factors being studied for its potential contribution to the obesity epidemic. Many aspects of diet, as well as lifestyle and genetic traits, all have a bearing on obesity. But there’s no denying that it’s easy to overdo caloric intake when super-sized soft drinks served in 32-oz cups–and containing the HFCS-equivalent of 20 teaspoons of sugar–are commonly the size of choice. Maybe it’s time to lighten up.

Re: Re: Re: btw, did you see that CWK was this best thing at the recent KCRW show?

deep said:
HFCS: From the Lips to the Hips?

by Mary Ann Ryan

That question mark is there for a reason.:wink:

Not only is it incorporated into cookies, candies, and other confections, but also in numerous foods where one would not expect to find sugar: hot dogs, Italian-flavored bread crumb mix, ketchup, and the buns around cheeseburgers, to name a few.
Yeah, it's crazy all the stuff we put sweeteners into. But if it wasn't HFCS, it would be someother sweetener. It's present in a lot of products because we humans like the taste of sweet things.

“Consumption of high-fructose corn syrup in beverages may play a role in the epidemic of obesity,” reads the title of a report by George Bray and colleagues in the April 2004 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

The co-author of Dr. Bray's report also said in a July 6, 2006 New York Times article, "It was a theory meant to spur science, but it’s quite possible that it may be found out not to be true. I don’t think there should be a perception that highfructose corn syrup has caused obesity until we know more.”

Some of the health concerns about the effect of HFCS on health have to do with the fructose component of the sweetener. HFCS contains either 42% or 55% fructose (designated 42-HFCS and 55-HFCS, respectively) combined with 42−52% glucose and a few percent of higher saccharides.
(It should be pointed out that sucrose–table sugar–when digested, yields a 50:50 proportion of glucose and fructose, a mix similar to HFCS, and the intake of too much sucrose may pose the same issues raised about HFCS.)

So sugar from sugar cane, sugar beets, or corn...it all ends up as about 50:50 glucose and fructose. And none of it is good for your body in large quantities.

But there’s no denying that it’s easy to overdo caloric intake when super-sized soft drinks served in 32-oz cups–and containing the HFCS-equivalent of 20 teaspoons of sugar–are commonly the size of choice. Maybe it’s time to lighten up.

So in summary: if the cane sugar in soda at Whole Foods tastes better to you (you can definitely taste a difference), be my guest and pay more for it. But it will kill you just as fast as corn syrup.

My theory is that we just tend to dislike things that are cheap and ubiquitous.

I should say, I'm no expert on this...I just did some reading (via google!) a couple weeks ago when someone told me to avoid HFCS at all costs. Maybe we'll find out it is worse than other sweetners, but the evidence doesn't seem to be there for it. I just wanted to make sure the other side of the coin was presented, because you won't get it from a simple google search for "HFCS".

deep said:

Well, his point was that because of corn price supports there is so much corn, at such low prices, the large food manufacturers are using it in everything.

Prices are on the rise, though. I have seen a few articles recently (I am sure you can pull them up via a google search) about Coca-Cola prices going up due to...and I love this...the shift of corn production from corn syrup to ETHANOL! :hmm:

As we try to find a solution for our dependence on foreign oil, our food may get healthier because the cheaper sweetener will no longer be "cheaper."

NOW THAT is a conspiracy!

Back
Top Bottom