MERGED--> He became straight + I despise... - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2007, 12:38 PM   #121
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

Amen to that. It's sad that I guess I can't disagree with homosexuallity without being a terrible, homophobic bigoted person.
What is there to disagree with? Do you disagree with me being a woman? Or yolland being Jewish? Or Michael Jordan being black?

Old 07-12-2007, 12:39 PM   #122
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Amen to that. It's sad that I guess I can't disagree with homosexuallity without being a terrible, homophobic bigoted person.

do you disagree with left-handed people? could they be made to write with their right hands?

i am a homosexual person. i am attracted to members of my gender. that is a fact. it's really not one you can agree with or disagree with.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:39 PM   #123
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
The argument that homosexuality is genetic is highly debateable.

Many people think otherwise and those black, red, yellow or jewish purple ppl who were once gay by choice and then chose to leave the gay lifestyle would find some of the viewpoints expressed here offensive.

Best,

dbs
A person can choose to not partake in a certain lifestyle but that does not change who they are. Using your example, a homosexual can choose not to lead a "gay lifestyle" and still be very much homosexual.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:40 PM   #124
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

It's sad you think there is anything to disagree with.
But that's my opinion, and I would never like being called homophobic. I think some people are forgetting the meaning of the word "homophobic" and are using it too often. To me, someone who is homophobic absolutely hates gay people, wishes harm upon them (and often carry it out themselves) and judges that person based solely on their sexual orientation. I am not one of those people, and I wouldnt like to be labeled as a homophobe. Like I said, I disagree with homosexuality, but I would like it if I wasnt equated with the people I have described, people who are truly, radically homophobic.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:41 PM   #125
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
The argument that homosexuality is genetic is highly debateable.

Many people think otherwise and those black, red, yellow or jewish purple ppl who were once gay by choice and then chose to leave the gay lifestyle would find some of the viewpoints expressed here offensive.

Best,

dbs

but being Jewish is surely a choice. as is being a Mormon. if there's one thing we can choose, it's our religion.

no?

the argument that homosexuality is *solely* genetic is debatable, but the understanding that homosexuality is in large part due to genetics is quite broadly accepted.

far more than the "overbearing mother/distant father" psychobabble that Christofascists pull out of their always heterosexual asses.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:41 PM   #126
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

A person can choose to not partake in a certain lifestyle but that does not change who they are. Using your example, a homosexual can choose not to lead a "gay lifestyle" and still be very much homosexual.

what's a "gay lifestyle"?
Old 07-12-2007, 12:41 PM   #127
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

I just don't understand why it is acceptable for somebody to come on here and say that it is immoral for a man to be gay, when we would not allow ANYONE to make similar pronouncements about race, etc.

You don't understand?

Mixed race marriage is legal.

Mixed faith marriage is legal.

There are many laws that protect from discrimination for race, religion, national origin. These same laws do not include sexual orientation.

For you race and "gay" should be treated the same. It is not the law.

Perhaps it should the "Law of Interference"?

I sure hope not.

I don't want my pretend world to not reflect the things in "Real World" that I think should be changed.

Do you still believe that both parties are equally "useless".
Old 07-12-2007, 12:43 PM   #128
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

But that's my opinion, and I would never like being called homophobic. I think some people are forgetting the meaning of the word "homophobic" and are using it too often. To me, someone who is homophobic absolutely hates gay people, wishes harm upon them (and often carry it out themselves) and judges that person based solely on their sexual orientation. I am not one of those people, and I wouldnt like to be labeled as a homophobe. Like I said, I disagree with homosexuality, but I would like it if I wasnt equated with the people I have described, people who are truly, radically homophobic.

if you "disagree" with homosexuality, then you are exhibiting a strong degree of homophobia. you might find gays witty or funny or entertaining and you might appreciate how well they've designed the clothes your wearing, produced the music you listen to, or the television you watch, but to say that you "disagree" with a fundamental part of their being -- a part as every bit as fundamental as your (i'm assuming) heterosexualitly is to you -- then you are being homophobic.

is it not anti-Semetic to say, "yeah, i have no problem with Jews, love the food and the humor, i just think they're all screwed when they die if their temple-buildling skills aren't up to snuff."
Old 07-12-2007, 12:44 PM   #129
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

There are many laws that protect from discrimination for race, religion, national origin. These same laws do not include sexual orientation.
They do where I live.

So it is not my "pretend world" as you put it - it is reality.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:47 PM   #130
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:54 PM
Quote:

But that's my opinion, and I would never like being called homophobic.
Then I suggest you challenge your opinion and question the source of it.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:49 PM   #131
She's the One

Local Time: 12:54 PM
Quote:

If you were to disagree with being black, you'd be a racist.

Poor persecuted homophobes.

And this thread is still open.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:54 PM   #132
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

what's a "gay lifestyle"?
I was using the example dbs gave us. I would assume the lifestyle he is speaking of is one where a person dates/marries / has loving, caring relationships with another person of his/her own gender.

Playing it straight doesn't make a person straight. (that's all I meant. )
Old 07-12-2007, 12:55 PM   #133
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

And this thread is still open.

i'm hoping we can get at the root of some of the attitudes.

i'd like to know just how someone "disagrees" with the fact that Memphis and i find each other attractive. what's to disagree with?

there's nothing wrong with me. the only psychological trauma i've suffered at the hands of homosexuality was when i tried to hide from it and ignore it, and the only time i lead an unhealthy "lifestyle" was when i'd try to be straight and go to parties in college and realize that i wasn't so enthusiastic about chasing after girls that i'd proceed to get shit-canned so i wouldn't have to deal with it. sure, i've dated, went to bars, went to clubs, and even had some sex, but in comparison to my straight male counterparts, we're all mostly in the same boat in terms of numbers of sexual partners, though i always seem to come out on top when it comes to safe sex (funny, that). i've smoked some pot, but have never done serious drugs. i'm now in a monogamous relationship that's healthy and happy and both of our families are aware and generally supportive.

i spend most of my week at work, go to the gym, argue in FYM, see movies, travel when i can, read books and listen to music.

this is as gay a lifestyle as any other "lifestyle" lived by a gay person.

where's the disagreement?

is it the whole penis/penis thing?

isn't that just an expression of someone's aesthetic prejudices, as equal in merit to the person who finds the whole black penis/white vagina structure gross?
Old 07-12-2007, 12:57 PM   #134
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

Playing it straight doesn't make a person straight. (that's all I meant. )

i hear you -- Diamond, sweetie, can you tell me what a "gay lifestyle" is?
Old 07-12-2007, 01:37 PM   #135
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

But that's my opinion,
And that's all it is.

Quote:

and I would never like being called homophobic.
And I'm sure there are a lot of racists who wouldn't want to be called a racist.

Quote:

I think some people are forgetting the meaning of the word "homophobic" and are using it too often. To me, someone who is homophobic absolutely hates gay people, wishes harm upon them (and often carry it out themselves) and judges that person based solely on their sexual orientation. I am not one of those people, and I wouldnt like to be labeled as a homophobe. Like I said, I disagree with homosexuality, but I would like it if I wasnt equated with the people I have described, people who are truly, radically homophobic.
You are judging them, by saying you "disagree". How do you not see that?