MERGED--> He became straight + I despise... - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-12-2007, 09:45 AM   #106
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 10:28 AM
help me, diamond. you're my only hope.

i wonder if conversion from homosexualitly to heterosexuality is possible without religious bigotry and willful ignorance combined with a big spalsh of anti-intellectualism?
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 07-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #107
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
(According to their mission statement, this is a site primarily aimed at LDSers "who experience homosexual attraction" and wish "to live in joy and harmony within their covenants, values, and beliefs as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints," i.e., remain celibate or marry someone of the opposite sex.) They don't sound too impressed by his claims.


i hear great things about the gay bars in Salt Lake City. they are *packed* on the weekends.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 07-12-2007, 09:56 AM   #108
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,645
Local Time: 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511


i wonder if conversion from homosexualitly to heterosexuality is possible without religious bigotry and willful ignorance combined with a big spalsh of anti-intellectualism?
Doubt it.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 10:45 AM   #109
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 10:28 AM
I actually want to see how you can possibly defend this, Diamond. I don't understand how, but I'd like to see it.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 10:56 AM   #110
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,332
Local Time: 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ormus
Since when did FYM become Stormfront? I have no fucking idea why this hateful nonsense thread is still open. Substitute "homosexual" here for "black" or "Jewish," and this thread would have been closed a long time ago.

I can come up with a million logical responses for this thread; yet since diamond's worldview is governed by self-centered illogic, much like the idiots in Stormfront, then all the arguments in the world won't make any difference and all of our derision can stroke his ego and make him feel like a "martyr for his faith."

This entire goddamn thread is an insult--a personal insult--and a mockery of psychology, science, reason, and--above all--religion. If we only close threads that devolve into racist or anti-Semitic slurs, then I'll be happy to fire a bunch off later.
I absolutely agree. People can come to FYM and liken homosexuality to damn near anything and it's all about the "discussion." No matter how offensive and ridiculous the "discussion" happens to be, we need to have it to find out the opposing views and discuss them.

I seriously thought about starting a thread to ask how I could become black, just to point out how offensive and risdiculous this thing was, but it would've been closed and I would have been publicly reprimanded.

__________________
martha is online now  
Old 07-12-2007, 12:04 PM   #111
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,272
Local Time: 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha


I absolutely agree. People can come to FYM and liken homosexuality to damn near anything and it's all about the "discussion." No matter how offensive and ridiculous the "discussion" happens to be, we need to have it to find out the opposing views and discuss them.

I seriously thought about starting a thread to ask how I could become black, just to point out how offensive and risdiculous this thing was, but it would've been closed and I would have been publicly reprimanded.

Me three.

I've said this over and over in FYM....that homophobia is one of the last permissible bigotries around. That we are not asked to discuss nor compromise with racists or sexists or anti-semites, but when it comes to homophobia, we have to give credence to religious zeal.

Nobody would seriously have a similar discussion about blacks being bleached to be white or Jews suddenly seeing the error of their ways and embracing Jesus. It is simply not in the public sphere (nor the one of FYM). But threads like this one continue to pop up and we're continually told that we have to consider the other side, where they're coming from and how they feel.
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 12:15 PM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram


Me three.

I've said this over and over in FYM....that homophobia is one of the last permissible bigotries around. That we are not asked to discuss nor compromise with racists or sexists or anti-semites, but when it comes to homophobia, we have to give credence to religious zeal.

Nobody would seriously have a similar discussion about blacks being bleached to be white or Jews suddenly seeing the error of their ways and embracing Jesus. It is simply not in the public sphere (nor the one of FYM). But threads like this one continue to pop up and we're continually told that we have to consider the other side, where they're coming from and how they feel.
Is it possible to believe that homsexual behavior is "immoral" and NOT be labeled homophobic? Are you advocating that anyone who perhaps holds this position should be banned from posting this point of view? If so, how far would you take this? Would you ban everyone who disagrees with your opinion?
__________________
AEON is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #113
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,272
Local Time: 10:28 AM
I'm not advocating anything. I'm not a moderator here, nor do I ever wish to be one, and it's not up to me to police the boards and dictate what should and should not be said.

I just don't understand why it is acceptable for somebody to come on here and say that it is immoral for a man to be gay, when we would not allow ANYONE to make similar pronouncements about race, etc. Can you honestly tell me that you can see 20 page threads here where we "discuss" and "compromise" on whether or not it's fine for somebody to think that it's immoral that we allow blacks into our schools or to date our girls or to go to the Ivy League? Really?
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 12:27 PM   #114
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON


Is it possible to believe that homsexual behavior is "immoral" and NOT be labeled homophobic?
No. It is simply an incorrect viewpoint, a bigoted and homophobic one at that. My tolerance level for this is unapologetically zero.

I'm calling a spade a spade and moving on, feeling absolutely no need whatsoever to explain why I feel this way because it's all been said a million times.
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #115
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,645
Local Time: 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl


No. It is simply an incorrect viewpoint, a bigoted and homophobic one at that. My tolerance level for this is unapologetically zero.

I'm calling a spade a spade and moving on, feeling absolutely no need whatsoever to explain why I feel this way because it's all been said a million times.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 12:31 PM   #116
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON


Is it possible to believe that homsexual behavior is "immoral" and NOT be labeled homophobic?



no, it isn't possible.

homosexual sex is no more or less immoral than heterosexual sex, unless you are willing to say that the *only* moral kind of sex is pro-creative sex and that anyone who ever masturbates, performs or receives oral sex, or uses a condom/birth control, is immoral.



Quote:
Would you ban everyone who disagrees with your opinion?
there's really no "opinion" to be had about homosexuality, in the way that there's really no "opinion" to be had about left-handed people.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 07-12-2007, 12:32 PM   #117
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
I actually want to see how you can possibly defend this, Diamond. I don't understand how, but I'd like to see it.
There are not reasonable, or rational defenses for these types of beliefs.

But that is the way it is for many, if not most"faith-based" beliefs.

Unfortunately, there are many people that serve in the current administration that support this kind of thinking.


I reject it completely, and find it very offensive.

That is why I challenge it
at every instant.

"Love the sinner
and hate the sin."

Unchallenged leads to this type of thinking.

When one buys the concept of "sin" this is what follows.
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 12:32 PM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,249
Local Time: 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON


Is it possible to believe that homsexual behavior is "immoral" and NOT be labeled homophobic?
Amen to that. It's sad that I guess I can't disagree with homosexuallity without being a terrible, homophobic bigoted person.
__________________
2861U2 is online now  
Old 07-12-2007, 12:34 PM   #119
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 08:28 AM
The argument that homosexuality is genetic is highly debateable.

Many people think otherwise and those black, red, yellow or jewish purple ppl who were once gay by choice and then chose to leave the gay lifestyle would find some of the viewpoints expressed here offensive.

Best,

dbs
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 12:34 PM   #120
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,645
Local Time: 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2


Amen to that. It's sad that I guess I can't disagree with homosexuallity without being a terrible, homophobic bigoted person.
It's sad you think there is anything to disagree with.
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com