MERGED--> He became straight + I despise... - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2007, 09:45 AM   #106
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:28 AM
help me, diamond. you're my only hope.

i wonder if conversion from homosexualitly to heterosexuality is possible without religious bigotry and willful ignorance combined with a big spalsh of anti-intellectualism?

Old 07-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #107
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
(According to their mission statement, this is a site primarily aimed at LDSers "who experience homosexual attraction" and wish "to live in joy and harmony within their covenants, values, and beliefs as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints," i.e., remain celibate or marry someone of the opposite sex.) They don't sound too impressed by his claims.

i hear great things about the gay bars in Salt Lake City. they are *packed* on the weekends.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:56 AM   #108
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i wonder if conversion from homosexualitly to heterosexuality is possible without religious bigotry and willful ignorance combined with a big spalsh of anti-intellectualism?
Doubt it.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:45 AM   #109
Blue Crack Supplier

I actually want to see how you can possibly defend this, Diamond. I don't understand how, but I'd like to see it.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:56 AM   #110
She's the One

Local Time: 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ormus
Since when did FYM become Stormfront? I have no fucking idea why this hateful nonsense thread is still open. Substitute "homosexual" here for "black" or "Jewish," and this thread would have been closed a long time ago.

I can come up with a million logical responses for this thread; yet since diamond's worldview is governed by self-centered illogic, much like the idiots in Stormfront, then all the arguments in the world won't make any difference and all of our derision can stroke his ego and make him feel like a "martyr for his faith."

This entire goddamn thread is an insult--a personal insult--and a mockery of psychology, science, reason, and--above all--religion. If we only close threads that devolve into racist or anti-Semitic slurs, then I'll be happy to fire a bunch off later.
I absolutely agree. People can come to FYM and liken homosexuality to damn near anything and it's all about the "discussion." No matter how offensive and ridiculous the "discussion" happens to be, we need to have it to find out the opposing views and discuss them.

I seriously thought about starting a thread to ask how I could become black, just to point out how offensive and risdiculous this thing was, but it would've been closed and I would have been publicly reprimanded.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:04 PM   #111
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

I absolutely agree. People can come to FYM and liken homosexuality to damn near anything and it's all about the "discussion." No matter how offensive and ridiculous the "discussion" happens to be, we need to have it to find out the opposing views and discuss them.

I seriously thought about starting a thread to ask how I could become black, just to point out how offensive and risdiculous this thing was, but it would've been closed and I would have been publicly reprimanded.

Me three.

I've said this over and over in FYM....that homophobia is one of the last permissible bigotries around. That we are not asked to discuss nor compromise with racists or sexists or anti-semites, but when it comes to homophobia, we have to give credence to religious zeal.

Nobody would seriously have a similar discussion about blacks being bleached to be white or Jews suddenly seeing the error of their ways and embracing Jesus. It is simply not in the public sphere (nor the one of FYM). But threads like this one continue to pop up and we're continually told that we have to consider the other side, where they're coming from and how they feel.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:15 PM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Me three.

I've said this over and over in FYM....that homophobia is one of the last permissible bigotries around. That we are not asked to discuss nor compromise with racists or sexists or anti-semites, but when it comes to homophobia, we have to give credence to religious zeal.

Nobody would seriously have a similar discussion about blacks being bleached to be white or Jews suddenly seeing the error of their ways and embracing Jesus. It is simply not in the public sphere (nor the one of FYM). But threads like this one continue to pop up and we're continually told that we have to consider the other side, where they're coming from and how they feel.
Is it possible to believe that homsexual behavior is "immoral" and NOT be labeled homophobic? Are you advocating that anyone who perhaps holds this position should be banned from posting this point of view? If so, how far would you take this? Would you ban everyone who disagrees with your opinion?
Old 07-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #113
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not advocating anything. I'm not a moderator here, nor do I ever wish to be one, and it's not up to me to police the boards and dictate what should and should not be said.

I just don't understand why it is acceptable for somebody to come on here and say that it is immoral for a man to be gay, when we would not allow ANYONE to make similar pronouncements about race, etc. Can you honestly tell me that you can see 20 page threads here where we "discuss" and "compromise" on whether or not it's fine for somebody to think that it's immoral that we allow blacks into our schools or to date our girls or to go to the Ivy League? Really?
Old 07-12-2007, 12:27 PM   #114
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

Is it possible to believe that homsexual behavior is "immoral" and NOT be labeled homophobic?
No. It is simply an incorrect viewpoint, a bigoted and homophobic one at that. My tolerance level for this is unapologetically zero.

I'm calling a spade a spade and moving on, feeling absolutely no need whatsoever to explain why I feel this way because it's all been said a million times.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #115
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

No. It is simply an incorrect viewpoint, a bigoted and homophobic one at that. My tolerance level for this is unapologetically zero.

I'm calling a spade a spade and moving on, feeling absolutely no need whatsoever to explain why I feel this way because it's all been said a million times.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:31 PM   #116
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Is it possible to believe that homsexual behavior is "immoral" and NOT be labeled homophobic?

no, it isn't possible.

homosexual sex is no more or less immoral than heterosexual sex, unless you are willing to say that the *only* moral kind of sex is pro-creative sex and that anyone who ever masturbates, performs or receives oral sex, or uses a condom/birth control, is immoral.

Quote:
Would you ban everyone who disagrees with your opinion?
there's really no "opinion" to be had about homosexuality, in the way that there's really no "opinion" to be had about left-handed people.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:32 PM   #117
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
I actually want to see how you can possibly defend this, Diamond. I don't understand how, but I'd like to see it.
There are not reasonable, or rational defenses for these types of beliefs.

But that is the way it is for many, if not most"faith-based" beliefs.

Unfortunately, there are many people that serve in the current administration that support this kind of thinking.

I reject it completely, and find it very offensive.

That is why I challenge it
at every instant.

"Love the sinner
and hate the sin."

Unchallenged leads to this type of thinking.

When one buys the concept of "sin" this is what follows.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:32 PM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Amen to that. It's sad that I guess I can't disagree with homosexuallity without being a terrible, homophobic bigoted person.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:34 PM   #119
ONE
love, blood, life

The argument that homosexuality is genetic is highly debateable.

Many people think otherwise and those black, red, yellow or jewish purple ppl who were once gay by choice and then chose to leave the gay lifestyle would find some of the viewpoints expressed here offensive.

Best,

dbs
Old 07-12-2007, 12:34 PM   #120
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

Amen to that. It's sad that I guess I can't disagree with homosexuallity without being a terrible, homophobic bigoted person.
It's sad you think there is anything to disagree with.