MERGED: G. H. W. Bush and Clinton to Head Drive for Tsunami Victims

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ft. Worth Frog

Acrobat
Bush I and Clinton to Head Drive

I just saw on Yahoo news that W has chosen the 2 former presidents to head charity drives. He urges people to give cash instead of other items because it is the most useful. Kudos to all three for putting aside partisan differences to help the tsunami victims.

P.S. I saw in the Wash. Times that Amer. corporations such as Pfizer (IIRC) had already stepped up and are giving drugs and other necessities to the victims.

U2democrat said:
I just saw that. Made me very proud to be American. :up: We're actually coming together.

Common enemies tend to do that. Too bad it took a disaster.

I hope the fundraising effort results in long term changes here and abroad.

Last edited:
America: Just Keep on Not Giving

By TERENCE HUNT

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush on Monday tapped two former presidents - his father, President George H.W. Bush, and his predecessor, President Clinton - to lead a nationwide, private fund-raising campaign to help victims of the Asian tsunamis.

"I ask every American to contribute as they are able to do so," Bush said in the White House's Roosevelt Room, the two former presidents at his side.

Clinton and the first President Bush are to lead an effort to encourage the American people and businesses to support relief and reconstruction activities in areas devastated by the tsunamis, the president said. He also ordered that American flags fly at half-staff all week in sympathy for "the victims of a great tragedy," particularly the many thousands of dead and orphaned children.

"In the coming days, Presidents Clinton and Bush will ask Americans to donate directly to reliable charities already providing help to tsunami victims," Bush said. "I've asked the former presidents to solicit contributions both large and small."

The president urged Americans to give money instead of other items. "Cash donations are most useful," he said.

The announcement came as the White House has been scrambling to repair an image battered at home and abroad by perceptions that U.S. aid for the tsunamis lagged behind other countries - especially considering the outpouring of support for America from other countries in the hours and days immediately following the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Bush faced criticism for waiting until three days after the Dec. 26 earthquake and tsunami to interrupt his holiday vacation and make his first personal comments about the deadly disaster. Other countries also were quicker to commit large amounts of aid money, and Japan has outpaced the U.S. total of $350 million pledged so far.

But private donations began pouring in from people in the United States and around the world at unprecedented levels almost immediately. Bush's press secretary, Scott McClellan, dismissed any suggestion the White House campaign to encourage private giving was behind that curve as well, saying the new effort was about ensuring that impressive flow continues.

"This will bring even more focus on the need to provide support for these international organizations in the affected areas," he said. "This is a human tragedy that is really beyond comprehension and we want to make sure we're doing everything we can both from the government perspective as well as private support to help those who are suffering."

Bush himself has not yet made a personal contribution, but plans to give an unspecified amount, McClellan said.

Meanwhile, the Pentagon has decided to send the USNS Mercy, a 1,000-bed hospital ship based at San Diego, to join the tsunami relief effort in south Asia, two officials said Monday, speaking on condition of anonymity. The ship, currently at sea for a previously scheduled test, is capable of receiving patients by helicopter or by ship, either at anchor or while underway.

Later Monday, Bush, accompanied by first lady Laura Bush as well as his father and Clinton, paid brief visits to the embassies of the four nations hit hardest by the disaster - Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India and Thailand.

At the Indonesian and Indian embassies, Mrs. Bush presented officials with bouquets of white roses and the foursome signed condolence books.

"We look forward to working with the Indonesian government to help those who need food, medicine, water and shelter to get their lives back in order so the great country of Indonesia can rise up from this disaster. May God bless the people of Indonesia," the president said in a brief statement at the Indonesian embassy. He made similar remarks at other embassies.

While at the Indian embassy, Bush said he told the ambassador he intends to travel to India this year. "In the meantime, though, our country stands with the people who have suffered," he said.

The president also was waiting to hear back from a delegation he dispatched to the region to assess what more the United States government can do to help. That team, led by Secretary of State Colin Powell and the president's brother, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, arrived in the region Monday.

Powell said in Bangkok, Thailand, that the relief effort appears to be going so well that he sees no immediate need for more U.S. governmental money. Coordinating all the international aid is now the most urgent task, he said.

To solicit private contributions, the former presidents will travel the country and do media interviews as part of their effort, McClellan said.

Reflecting the White House's concerns about the damage done, Monday's appearance by Bush was the fifth statement - either written or verbal - from the president himself on the disaster in six days. And aides normally tight-lipped about the president's behind-the-scenes activities have been eagerly offering tidbits of Bush's calls to other leaders on the crisis and his monitoring activities.

---

what a ___________________ fill in any explictive you like. Not the thread starter, the president. This sucks ass. I don't know how the president can still have anyone in his corner. I believe when hes out of the white house he doesn't want to know anything. You can bet your ass he'll cut back on the 350 M they'll be lucky if they see 225. Don't worry hell put some sort of spin on this. He'll say he wasn't on vacation but an intense briefing on the iraq situation. :madspit: Watch he'll go over there now just to get his face in the f#$%ing paper and on the news. It will look good.

I wish we had a middle finger siley or a go F#ck yourself smiley

Um, TheBrush, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Lord knows the President and I have had our differences, but it seems like he's really stepping up efforts to help the tsunami victims--and getting his dad and Bill Clinton on board can only bolster the cause.

This is a good thing, regardless of your feelings for the men involved, because ultimately it means the people who need it will be getting more help.

okay okay, its a good cause. this is what i mean ..........they will not see what money he says will be sent. he did NOT cut short his vacation to help. Believe me i am not the only one criticizing him. Normally i think we do too much for the world. But countries stepped up after the terroists attacks and i have kind of changed my tune. Regardless, if a democrat was in office the republicans would be all over his/her ass about waiting this long.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Someone told me Bill Gates gave 3 million. That's fantastic, but he can afford it. Every little bit we can afford will help, I have to believe that.

Not to minimize that, because Gates is one of the great philanthropists of our time, but he's one of the richest people on the planet, he has in excess of $50 Billion at least, and all he gave for this was $3 Million? $3 Million is great but from a man who is as wealthy as Gates is, there is a different expectation than the one we have for even movie stars and pop/rock musicians and such.

namkcuR said:

Not to minimize that, because Gates is one of the great philanthropists of our time, but he's one of the richest people on the planet, he has in excess of $50 Billion at least, and all he gave for this was $3 Million? $3 Million is great but from a man who is as wealthy as Gates is, there is a different expectation than the one we have for even movie stars and pop/rock musicians and such.

OR, he could have just decided not to give anything at all. I don't think its right to say that just because he's rich, he's obligated to give more. Be thankful he gave at all.

namkcuR said:

FWIW, his total net worth is about $46B, that's not the same as having $46B in cash, but what he'd have if he liquidated everything. Of course, bear in mind that if he starts liquidating, the stock price plummets and the net worth is considerable less.

Regardless, he doles out millions per year on worthy causes, and even this "paltry" $3M should be applauded.

TheBrush said:
what a ___________________ fill in any explictive you like. Not the thread starter, the president. This sucks ass. I don't know how the president can still have anyone in his corner. I believe when hes out of the white house he doesn't want to know anything. You can bet your ass he'll cut back on the 350 M they'll be lucky if they see 225. Don't worry hell put some sort of spin on this. He'll say he wasn't on vacation but an intense briefing on the iraq situation. :madspit: Watch he'll go over there now just to get his face in the f#$%ing paper and on the news. It will look good.

I wish we had a middle finger siley or a go F#ck yourself smiley

I'm SOOO tired of people trying to exploit this tragety to take some cheap shots at people they disagree with politically.

"I don't know how the president can still have anyone in his corner."
MOST people put aside their political disagreements when something as terrible as this happens.

"You can bet your ass he'l cut back on the 350 M they'll be lucky if they see 225."
Have you no idea how aid is delivered? Any money going out of the U.S. has to be approved by the Congress. Bush can't just go around dictating how much he's going to give with an open checkbook.

Basically, you need to chill out and maybe wait and see before you let your assumptions go too wild. I believe the U.S. will be very generous and give well over the 350 Million, not counting the probable hundreds of millions that will be raised from charities. Yes Bush did take a while to comment, but again I think this complaint is nothing but a political cheap shot. NOBODY knew the extent of the damages for the first few days! I remember seeing it first on the internet something like "5000 dead in tsunami" and it kept going up for days. I'm sure it will keep going up for weeks. From what I've read, nobody STILL knows the true extent of the damage and loss of life, especially in Indonesia.

Basically, don't judge the situation until it's really played out and quit exploiting these deaths to try to advance your political views.

im not exploiting anything. you do you not me. you read two sentences i read and make these blanket statements. I can see your a fair and balanced person:wink: . And i am not advancing anything. I admit i dislike George W alot. i mean alot. and you do make a valid point about the death tolls going up. But then why did other countries commit so early? This isn't the first our #1 has been asleep at the switch. And the aid can be changed. Yes congress has to approve aid. Duh. But it won't all be at once. and other countries have given more. I don't appreciate this personal attack saying im exploiting the deaths that harsh. neither of us have been here very long and neither of us have the right to attack anyone else in the forum. If George W. is a u2 fan and in the forum, i apologize.

and to everyone else sorry if i offended anyone by trashing MY president. :wink:
seriously though i don't want any enemies im just here to have a good time and chat. I am sorry about being adament about my views. I apologize again truly if i pissed anyone off, except people that attack me

capt.dcsw10801032018.bush_tsunami_quake_dcsw108.jpg

Compassionate Conservatisim at work..

TheBrush said:
im not exploiting anything. you do you not me. you read two sentences i read and make these blanket statements. I can see your a fair and balanced person:wink:

I thought wheatsier's analysis of that rant was pretty much on the money in that I think people need to wait and give the U.S., the President time before making such accustions like "the U.S. isn't giving enough" or "you know damn well bush will cut the aid."

Perhaps you weren't trying to exploit like you say, but many many people have been using the tsunami disaster to either A. Bash the U.S.; or B. Bash Bush. I've seen even a lot of people who really don't like Bush on this site have made the same observation about the exploitation going on.

Last edited:
does anyone ever notice had bad presidents age. Seriously look at the before and after pictures. Stress sucks. I know, 22 and losing my hair.

-TheBrush runs for a hat, beanie, or bandanna:sad:

TheBrush said:
does anyone ever notice had bad presidents age. Seriously look at the before and after pictures. Stress sucks. I know, 22 and losing my hair.

-TheBrush runs for a hat, beanie, or bandanna:sad:

Yeah I've noticed that too! There have been studies also on how bad downhill the handwriting of Presidents go because it is linked to stress...It's strange to see clips of Clinton in the early 90's or even of Bush 4 years ago...they've really aged fast.

point well taken imouttacontrol, i agree that happens and i can see how it came off that way. I will NOT cut him slack because of the disaster. His leash is already to long. He gets away with murder. I am being no more critical of him than i normally am. However thank you for responding in a decent manner:up:

ImOuttaControl said:

Yeah I've noticed that too! There have been studies also on how bad downhill the handwriting of Presidents go because it is linked to stress...It's strange to see clips of Clinton in the early 90's or even of Bush 4 years ago...they've really aged fast.

yet they keep their hair. How do they do it asks the balding man?

diamond said:
capt.dcsw10801032018.bush_tsunami_quake_dcsw108.jpg

Compassionate Conservatisim at work..

:barf:

I think what w's doing is great, but Clinton was on the TV within hours of the tragedy with a public statement of sympathy not freaking days, db9 - you had to ruin this great thing for me.

Please note in his address that money should be funneled ot agencies all ready in te region not to ABC organization or church.

Scarletwine said:

:barf:

I think what w's doing is great, but Clinton was on the TV within hours of the tragedy with a public statement of sympathy not freaking days,

Well, Bill DOES have a lot more free time on his hands, I'd prefer Bush went and figured out how to gett aid/$$ there rather than spend time lookign for a publicity opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom