MERGED: G. H. W. Bush and Clinton to Head Drive for Tsunami Victims - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2005, 04:10 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR

Not to minimize that, because Gates is one of the great philanthropists of our time, but he's one of the richest people on the planet, he has in excess of $50 Billion at least, and all he gave for this was $3 Million? $3 Million is great but from a man who is as wealthy as Gates is, there is a different expectation than the one we have for even movie stars and pop/rock musicians and such.
FWIW, his total net worth is about $46B, that's not the same as having $46B in cash, but what he'd have if he liquidated everything. Of course, bear in mind that if he starts liquidating, the stock price plummets and the net worth is considerable less.

Regardless, he doles out millions per year on worthy causes, and even this "paltry" $3M should be applauded.

Old 01-03-2005, 04:18 PM   #17
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBrush
what a ___________________ fill in any explictive you like. Not the thread starter, the president. This sucks ass. I don't know how the president can still have anyone in his corner. I believe when hes out of the white house he doesn't want to know anything. You can bet your ass he'll cut back on the 350 M they'll be lucky if they see 225. Don't worry hell put some sort of spin on this. He'll say he wasn't on vacation but an intense briefing on the iraq situation. Watch he'll go over there now just to get his face in the f#$%ing paper and on the news. It will look good.

I wish we had a middle finger siley or a go F#ck yourself smiley
I'm SOOO tired of people trying to exploit this tragety to take some cheap shots at people they disagree with politically.

"I don't know how the president can still have anyone in his corner."
MOST people put aside their political disagreements when something as terrible as this happens.

"You can bet your ass he'l cut back on the 350 M they'll be lucky if they see 225."
Have you no idea how aid is delivered? Any money going out of the U.S. has to be approved by the Congress. Bush can't just go around dictating how much he's going to give with an open checkbook.

Basically, you need to chill out and maybe wait and see before you let your assumptions go too wild. I believe the U.S. will be very generous and give well over the 350 Million, not counting the probable hundreds of millions that will be raised from charities. Yes Bush did take a while to comment, but again I think this complaint is nothing but a political cheap shot. NOBODY knew the extent of the damages for the first few days! I remember seeing it first on the internet something like "5000 dead in tsunami" and it kept going up for days. I'm sure it will keep going up for weeks. From what I've read, nobody STILL knows the true extent of the damage and loss of life, especially in Indonesia.

Basically, don't judge the situation until it's really played out and quit exploiting these deaths to try to advance your political views.

Old 01-03-2005, 04:41 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 06:17 PM
im not exploiting anything. you do you not me. you read two sentences i read and make these blanket statements. I can see your a fair and balanced person . And i am not advancing anything. I admit i dislike George W alot. i mean alot. and you do make a valid point about the death tolls going up. But then why did other countries commit so early? This isn't the first our #1 has been asleep at the switch. And the aid can be changed. Yes congress has to approve aid. Duh. But it won't all be at once. and other countries have given more. I don't appreciate this personal attack saying im exploiting the deaths that harsh. neither of us have been here very long and neither of us have the right to attack anyone else in the forum. If George W. is a u2 fan and in the forum, i apologize.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:44 PM   #19
War Child

and to everyone else sorry if i offended anyone by trashing MY president.
seriously though i don't want any enemies im just here to have a good time and chat. I am sorry about being adament about my views. I apologize again truly if i pissed anyone off, except people that attack me
Old 01-03-2005, 04:46 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:17 PM

Compassionate Conservatisim at work..
Old 01-03-2005, 04:47 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 04:17 PM
Quote:
im not exploiting anything. you do you not me. you read two sentences i read and make these blanket statements. I can see your a fair and balanced person
I thought wheatsier's analysis of that rant was pretty much on the money in that I think people need to wait and give the U.S., the President time before making such accustions like "the U.S. isn't giving enough" or "you know damn well bush will cut the aid."

Perhaps you weren't trying to exploit like you say, but many many people have been using the tsunami disaster to either A. Bash the U.S.; or B. Bash Bush. I've seen even a lot of people who really don't like Bush on this site have made the same observation about the exploitation going on.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:49 PM   #22
War Child

does anyone ever notice had bad presidents age. Seriously look at the before and after pictures. Stress sucks. I know, 22 and losing my hair.

-TheBrush runs for a hat, beanie, or bandanna
Old 01-03-2005, 04:50 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:17 PM

A uniter not a divider...
Old 01-03-2005, 04:51 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 04:17 PM
Quote:
does anyone ever notice had bad presidents age. Seriously look at the before and after pictures. Stress sucks. I know, 22 and losing my hair.

-TheBrush runs for a hat, beanie, or bandanna
Yeah I've noticed that too! There have been studies also on how bad downhill the handwriting of Presidents go because it is linked to stress...It's strange to see clips of Clinton in the early 90's or even of Bush 4 years ago...they've really aged fast.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:52 PM   #25
War Child

point well taken imouttacontrol, i agree that happens and i can see how it came off that way. I will NOT cut him slack because of the disaster. His leash is already to long. He gets away with murder. I am being no more critical of him than i normally am. However thank you for responding in a decent manner
Old 01-03-2005, 04:59 PM   #26
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl

Yeah I've noticed that too! There have been studies also on how bad downhill the handwriting of Presidents go because it is linked to stress...It's strange to see clips of Clinton in the early 90's or even of Bush 4 years ago...they've really aged fast.
yet they keep their hair. How do they do it asks the balding man?
Old 01-03-2005, 05:10 PM   #27
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

Compassionate Conservatisim at work..

I think what w's doing is great, but Clinton was on the TV within hours of the tragedy with a public statement of sympathy not freaking days, db9 - you had to ruin this great thing for me.

Please note in his address that money should be funneled ot agencies all ready in te region not to ABC organization or church.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:13 PM   #28
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine

I think what w's doing is great, but Clinton was on the TV within hours of the tragedy with a public statement of sympathy not freaking days,

Well, Bill DOES have a lot more free time on his hands, I'd prefer Bush went and figured out how to gett aid/$$ there rather than spend time lookign for a publicity opportunity.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:22 PM   #29
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:17 PM
Excuse me, he was on vacation mountainbiking.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:27 PM   #30
War Child

yeah, it was a retreat so its better than vacation.