MERGED-->FYM Election Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who will you be voting for, for US President?

• Kerry

Votes: 171 66.0%
  • Bush

Votes: 74 28.6%
  • None. I'm a loser and won't vote.

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Other. I'm a loser too and would prefer to waste my vote on someone else in this tight race.

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Undecided between Bush and Kerry.

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Babyface
Let's have a real poll.... US Election.

This is simple...

'Vote' for who you would vote for as of this point.

Rules: You must be a US citizen and eligible to vote.

Can a mod make this thing stick at the top?
I'm guessing most people will just vote, and not reply, thus causing this poll to drop to the bottom quickly.

ONE MORE RULE!!!

No DOUBLE VOTING w/alters.

If you do, you're a swine and no better than the fool you're voting for (whomever that may be ;) )

If I must vote it'll have to be ol' Bush :slant: but they are both swine. But morally and ethically I cannot with a good conscience support a man I disagree so strongly with on so many issues.

Last edited:
With nearly 20% of the vote, Bush is doing about how he always does in FYM polls. Bush is more popular in California and Massachusetts than he is in FYM.

On a more off color look at this election, what we have here is two johns chasing a bush and a dick :lol:

I am undecided. Quite frankly, I am not all that impressed with Kerry because he seems somewhat like a hippie throwback. Bush, on the other hand, can't get things organized and has an attitude.

Kerry
As much as I'm not that crazy about some
of Kerry's statements, we gotta get Bush out of there!
Bush=1 term prez, just like his daddy! :)

It seems inevitable that John Kerry will win the election, especially with the poll on this website. However, Bush still has a war chest the size of Texas, while Kerry's in more reminisent of fraction of New England. Hopefully the money won't trample the power of reason and adroitness. Hopefully, the lesser or two evils will suffice.

I plan on voting for John for one reason. He isn't George W. Bush, for if the later is re-elected we will undoubtedly witness the end of our reign as world emperor. In my heart I wish Ralph Nader had been elected in 2000, as far-fetched as it always seemed, I still respect the man and hope he does what is prudenet, instead of what is potential right.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I found this to be a little interesting. You don't sound as confident than you have in the past, or am I just reading too much into this?

I'm not sure I've made definitive statements on my vote in the past and will remain open minded to the facts as the campaigns continue.

nbcrusader said:

I'm not sure I've made definitive statements on my vote in the past and will remain open minded to the facts as the campaigns continue.
Good answer. Let me know if there's anything I can help you out with...:wink:

Danospano said:
It seems inevitable that John Kerry will win the election, especially with the poll on this website. However, Bush still has a war chest the size of Texas, while Kerry's in more reminisent of fraction of New England. Hopefully the money won't trample the power of reason and adroitness. Hopefully, the lesser or two evils will suffice.

I plan on voting for John for one reason. He isn't George W. Bush, for if the later is re-elected we will undoubtedly witness the end of our reign as world emperor. In my heart I wish Ralph Nader had been elected in 2000, as far-fetched as it always seemed, I still respect the man and hope he does what is prudenet, instead of what is potential right.

I'm not sure if your aware of this, but the vast majority of people at FYM are democrats, liberals or lean to the left and would never think of voting for Bush really. FYM is not representive at all of the country as a whole.

After John Kerry's 4 day convention, the latest poll results from CNN/USA TODAY/GALLOP poll show that Bush is now leading Kerry despite his 4 day convention by 50% to 46%.

Not only did John Kerry not get a bounce in poll numbers from the convention, he is now slightly trailing Bush. It is the first time in 32 years that a candidate did not get a bounce from a convention.

The Republicans will have their convention starting August 30 and now have a rare opportunity to significantly build on the small lead that they have now.

Yeah, but 73% to 20% (35 to 9 at this point) isn't nearly the support we saw a year ago. Mr. Bush would have polled around 40%-50% back then, so I'd say that most of us are moderates on both sides of the spectrum.

That's not to say there isn't a great deal of hostility toward the "President". Due to time contraints and mere exhaustion over debating the cons of his administration I won't mention why the majority of Americans are unsatisfied with Dubya, but I will say that your underestimating the impact of this mock poll.

You're right about there being a lack of a bounce for Kerry. I've heard many say it's due to his announcing of the VP too early in the campaign. Apparently that wasn't a normal move? I'm not sure, but my opinion on the lack of bouncing in the polls is because most registered voters already know who they're voting for, and therefore it would take a huge, miracle on Bush's behalf (terrorist attack), to save him from the fate of his father.

STING, you're citing the Gallup poll while ignoring the ABC/Washington Post poll and the Newsweek poll, both of which showed a bounce and put Kerry in the lead. Also, Zogby and the Wall Street Journal have done their own respective electoral vote analyses and those show a bounce that put Kerry firmly in the lead.

http://www.electoral-vote.com/

The biggest bounce I remember hearing was 4 pts. That's within the margin of error, and compared to prior national conventions it's basically zilch. Both of those facts negate the theory that Kerry was given a huge boost, or even a moderate boost. He was given at most a small boost. The key word here is 'boost'.

;)

Another factor I just remembered is how the networks cut back coverage, therefore limiting the amount of air-time, publicity, etc. That could explain why fewer people were swayed in the polls. Ehh?

Danospano, I agree, it was not a huge boost, and was within the margin of error. As I mentioned in my previous post, Kerry's bounce should be measured by his gain in projected electoral votes, which was pretty significant.

Last edited:
Danospano said:
Yeah, but 73% to 20% (35 to 9 at this point) isn't nearly the support we saw a year ago. Mr. Bush would have polled around 40%-50% back then, so I'd say that most of us are moderates on both sides of the spectrum.

That's not to say there isn't a great deal of hostility toward the "President". Due to time contraints and mere exhaustion over debating the cons of his administration I won't mention why the majority of Americans are unsatisfied with Dubya, but I will say that your underestimating the impact of this mock poll.

You're right about there being a lack of a bounce for Kerry. I've heard many say it's due to his announcing of the VP too early in the campaign. Apparently that wasn't a normal move? I'm not sure, but my opinion on the lack of bouncing in the polls is because most registered voters already know who they're voting for, and therefore it would take a huge, miracle on Bush's behalf (terrorist attack), to save him from the fate of his father.

I have followed every poll in FYM in regards to Bush vs who ever and Bush has never received more than 10 votes in here period. I actually know the people who voted for Bush. There is a tiny minority in here that supports him.

The point is, a poll in a place like FYM is meaningless in regards to the national election. Bush has never received more than around 20% in any of these FYM polls. A State as Democratic as Massachusetts has more Bush supporters then a place like FYM.

In addition, while the poll may be representive of who post here, it is definitely not scientific poll and is worthless when it comes to predicting the outcome of the election. Any study of Statistics will tell you that. To have a national poll, you need at first to have a representive sample of the country. FYM poll is not nearly large enough to be a representive poll of the country. It is only representive of a particular group of hardcore U2 fans with access to the internet.

ThatGuy said:
STING, you're citing the Gallup poll while ignoring the ABC/Washington Post poll and the Newsweek poll, both of which showed a bounce and put Kerry in the lead. Also, Zogby and the Wall Street Journal have done their own respective electoral vote analyses and those show a bounce that put Kerry firmly in the lead.

Over the years, I have found Gallup to be by far the most reliable polling organization. I'm not saying that because these current polls show something positive for the Republicans. I'm saying that based on what I have seen over the years in terms of predicting victory for various candidates in all races as well as the margin of victory.

There was no bounce in the Gallop poll for Kerry and in fact he lost a point. The "bounces" from other polls were typically around 5 points on average which is small and almost within the margin of error still.

But I will agree that in an election that is this tight, it is all about the electoral college. Kerry does not have an easy win there at all by any means, but it is true that if the election were held today based on the combined polls in the 10 toss up states, Kerry would win the election.

Most States that voted Republican or Democrat in 2000 are going to do the same in 2004, with a few exceptions. It appears that the Republicans have almost lost Ohio and could lose Missouri. If the Republicans could have just kept those two States closer to them, there would be nothing the Democrats could do.

But, Missouri is still the closest race in the country currently at 48% to 48%. If the Republicans can keep Missouri and pick up Iowa(where they have a 46% to 45% lead) and Minnesota(where they are behind 48% to 45%), then they can win the election.

I actually think they will pick up Missouri and Iowa, the question is Minnesota.

If the Republicans take Minnesota, then it will be a 275 electoral votes for Bush and 263 votes for Kerry. If the reverse happens it will be 273 electoral votes for Kerry and 265 votes for Bush.

ThatGuy said:

Interesting thing about the electoral vote site is they have Bush ahead in Ohio, a State I don't think he can win, and then have Bush behind in Florida, a State that if Bush does not win, the election is over.

Bush has to win Florida which is why I believe he is going to. If Ohio can be a Bush win as well, then all they need is Missouri and Iowa and they can let West Virginia and New Hampshire slide to the Democrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom