MERGED-->FYM Election Poll - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Who will you be voting for, for US President?
Kerry 171 66.02%
Bush 74 28.57%
None. I'm a loser and won't vote. 4 1.54%
Other. I'm a loser too and would prefer to waste my vote on someone else in this tight race. 3 1.16%
Undecided between Bush and Kerry. 7 2.70%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2004, 09:15 AM   #106
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
The polls in Canada were so far off base that the analysts were literally shocked as the votes came in. It was supposed to be tight between the Liberals and Conservatives, and the Conservatives were actually leading in the weeks coming up to the election, yet did disappointingly the night of.

That said, I do believe Bush will win the election. Maybe not in a landslide, but he will win again. And I also think there are many on the left who truly feel that it is better to let this go and grab 2008.
I remember that. It reinforced my view that polls are basically meaningless. I think this is a "50-50" election. Basically Kerry has a 50% chance to win the election, but so does Bush. There are indeed people on the left who think it would be better to let Bush win so they can "grab" 2008. I can't say I'm one of these people however. And I feel some sort of strange torn feeling because I also don't want an age of one-term presidents. That's not good for the country, I don't think.

Old 09-01-2004, 09:30 AM   #107
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:44 PM
I am not sure if they have remedied the switchover policy for presidents yet, the current system is messed up because there is no lead in, this can open up a window of oppertunity for terrorism because the new leader may not be as adept at handling threats as somebody who has settled in with their team, perhaps those few months after the election could be put to better use when you have a change of leadership.

Old 09-01-2004, 10:30 AM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

We call the period of switching over a "transition". Sometimes these can be pretty messy, and sometimes they're pretty smooth. There is almost always controversy over at least one Cabinet nomination. It's definitely different from a switch in parties in a parliamentary system. There are things about a parliamentary form of government I prefer over our system, especially the short campaign seasons! If I had to *pay* someone for a shorter campaign season I'd do it.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:50 PM   #109
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Personally, I think the conniption fits that 90% of the right would go into, combined with the instantaneous frothing at the mouth would be hilarious to watch.

Old 09-02-2004, 01:13 PM   #110
War Child

This poll isn't going to be very representative of the election.

FYM is very heavily left-leaning, and always has been. In fact, I'm surprised Bush has as many votes in this poll as he does.

We'll only know the truth when the election results are revealed in November.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:51 PM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:44 AM
ANYONE BUT BUSH
Old 09-02-2004, 09:52 PM   #112
Blue Crack Addict

We had a Kerry rally in a downtown Birmingham park tonight. We had signs, candles, flags, and oh, yes, rain! Yuck! The speaker was the Chairman of the Democratic Party of Alabama, who was a classmate of Kerry's in law school. He was quite good. I'm tired, I had quite a day at the library with things to do. Now I'm going to watch the President's speech.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:54 PM   #113
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'm amazed that we now have 35 people in the forum supporting Bush! I honestly didn't think there was more than 10! Actually, Bush getting this many votes in a place like FYM is definitely a positive sign!
Old 09-02-2004, 11:12 PM   #114
Blue Crack Addict

Hey, Sting, maybe FYM isn't quite as "leftist" as you think.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:57 PM   #115
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

More likely, a large number of people have recently seen the light.

Honestly though, there have been many polls in here and the highest number of votes Bush ever got in any of these was 11. Until now.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:54 AM   #116
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
I'm amazed that we now have 35 people in the forum supporting Bush! I honestly didn't think there was more than 10! Actually, Bush getting this many votes in a place like FYM is definitely a positive sign!
I honestly don't find it surprising that many people here would vote for Bush. Americans are generally conservative -- and I would guess a number of people that don't regularly post in FYM are lurking and voting in this poll (just a guess). It certainly is a positive sign if you view having a right wing extremist adminstration run the U.S. as being positive.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:37 AM   #117
ONE
love, blood, life

I loath bush's compassionate conservatism, I dont agree with such a domestic agenda however doomsday Islamist terrorism poses a grave threat to the world. If a government is not capable of protecting its citizens the rest of its functions are pointless and it shouldn't exist - that is why if I had a vote I would vote for Bush. Kerry would try to fight Iraq, crawl to the Europeans and encourage UN action against rogue states - it would be returning to the Clinton years of fighting terrorism like cops and robbers and there would be grave consequences.

I am voting Liberal (our conservative party) here because I find Labours policies in regards to foreign affairs to be stuck in the Keating years, innefectual waffle about looking to Asia alone while Howard has actually done that and more in that respect to both Asia and the US without straddling the fence. Not to mention their Iraq policy which makes little sense - bringing 200 troops home to fight the war on terror closer to home (like our city streets after a bomb goes of - or maybe Lakemba - which would make a bit more sense considering some of its more high profile residents).
Old 09-03-2004, 12:15 PM   #118
The Fly

Local Time: 04:44 AM
I'm for Bush too! I saw the speech last night and i couldn't be more proud to have him as our president.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:18 PM   #119
Refugee

Local Time: 03:44 AM
I saw his speech last night, and determined that the end of the world is near...or another fascist regime...one or the other.

I guess I should join the 'party' before I sent to a concentration camp, ehhh? Yeah, it's coming brother and sisters...this man has gone mad with power.

Did anyone else notice the ominous chanting that filled the convention hall? Reminisent of "Triumph of the Will", right?

I'm scared.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:29 PM   #120
ONE
love, blood, life

Everybody always says that fascism is just over the horizon, which is great really because the horizon receeds as you move forward.