MERGED-->FYM Election Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who will you be voting for, for US President?

• Kerry

Votes: 171 66.0%
  • Bush

Votes: 74 28.6%
  • None. I'm a loser and won't vote.

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Other. I'm a loser too and would prefer to waste my vote on someone else in this tight race.

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Undecided between Bush and Kerry.

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
STING2, your post on the "negotiating with terrorists" thread was so intelligent that I see your above post in this thread just like boring propaganda, leaving important arguments like the never-to-be-found WMDs out. Therefore I refuse to discuss with you in this thread.

"I wouldn't call leaving Saddam in power a way to make the World Safer" is not gonna get you anywhere, since I never suggested to leave him in power. Also, I never said that this would make the world a safer place.

If you wish to discuss with me, make some new points and include the whole picture.

It would be interesting to see who our international friends would like to see as President of the most powerful nation in the world. After all what happens in the USA and our weapons of mass destruction and the person who has their finger on the perverbial button - matters to everyone around the world.
Something along the lines of: who do you think would be the best choice for President of the US?
It matters to me what the rest of the world thinks, anyway.
Just a thought.

Edited to say: this may have been talked about already, but I don't know how long my computer will give me before it kicks me off.
So forgive me if it has. *Back to reading the other post*

Last edited:
Your Country, your choice.

I personally would like to see a Bush victory come November for a variety of reasons that I won't go into right now.

sue4u2 said:
It would be interesting to see who our international friends would like to see as President of the most powerful nation in the world. After all what happens in the USA and our weapons of mass destruction and the person who has their finger on the perverbial button - matters to everyone around the world.
Something along the lines of: who do you think would be the best choice for President of the US?
It matters to me what the rest of the world thinks, anyway.
Just a thought.

With the current selection of candidates, I think Nader would probably be a relatively good choice - even if I don´t know much about his profile, and last time I have read the program is about a year ago, so I´d have to be updated. I don´t know about the true motives of Kerry, but I think he´s a better choice than Bush, regarding the President´s and his administrations last three years in office.

Many Europeans would like a president who restores international diplomacy, doesn´t keep the American public in a state of constant fear but reminds them of being independent, proud and free; a President who cuts military spending, increases aid spending and actively pushes Reparations, changes arms laws so not every American runs around with a gun, changes the ridiculous immigration security processes for tourists; a President who actively promotes respect for nature - plants and animals -, well the list goes on and on, you get the picture.

Last edited:
Kerry association hurting some Democrats

WASHINGTON --Senate Democratic leader Tom Daschle hugged President Bush from one end of South Dakota to the other this summer. In his own campaign commercials.

The brief embrace might seem an odd claim on re-election for the man Republicans depict as obstructionist-in-chief for the president's congressional agenda. But Daschle is one of several candidates with a common political problem as Democrats nurse fragile hopes of gaining Senate control this fall.

From the South to South Dakota and Alaska, they are running in areas where Bush is popular -- and Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry not so much.

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born." - good point, too bad we'll never know if the kids would like to have a knife go through them.

this guy has figured it out

Ex-key aide to McCain gives support to Kerry

Billy House

Republic Washington Bureau
Oct. 5, 2004 12:00 AM

WASHINGTON - A man who until last week was one of Sen. John McCain's top aides is endorsing John Kerry for president, asserting that President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney have "waged an unprecedentedly cynical and divisive campaign."

Led by Kerry, Democrats now can seize the opportunity to reach out to disaffected moderate Republicans and independents to build "a new political coalition of national unity," Marshall Wittmann writes in the upcoming edition of Blueprint Magazine, published by the Democratic Leadership Council.

"I am an independent McCainiac who hopes to revive the Bull Moose tradition of Theodore Roosevelt, and I support the Kerry-Edwards agenda," Wittmann writes.

"This unreconstructed Bull Moose will run with the donkey in November."

Wittmann had been McCain's director of communications for the past two years. He left Wednesday to become a senior fellow at the DLC, a centrist or right-of-center Democratic group.

Both Wittmann and McCain press secretary Crystal Benton on Monday emphasized that the magazine article, already appearing on New Democrats Online (www.ndol.org), reflects Wittmann's views and not those of McCain, an Arizona Republican. Benton said McCain's office had no comment on the article.

Bush regional campaign spokesman Danny Diaz also would not comment directly. But he emphasized that McCain himself is a co-chairman of the Bush campaign in Arizona, is continuing to stump with and for the president, and "I don't think there's any stronger advocate for the president on national security (issues than McCain)."

Wittmann said the point he is making is that the Bush administration has "betrayed" efforts to create a new politics of national greatness and unity in the aftermath of 9/11 through its divisive tax policies and the war in Iraq.

Bush did not invent our enemies, Wittmann writes. "But, despite all his bravado and swagger, he has made it more difficult to build a domestic and international political coalition to ultimately prevail against our terrorist adversaries. He has bred distrust by driving a cynical partisan agenda that seeks to reward the wealthy, while branding his political adversaries as vaguely unpatriotic."

"Don't get me wrong - this Bull Moose is not completely in agreement with the Democratic donkey," Wittmann writes.

And if Kerry wins, "it remains to be seen whether his administration will be more willing to break with its ideological base than a Bush team that has been slavishly loyal to its corporate paymasters," he adds.

"But there is no remaining shred of doubt that another four years of a Bush presidency would have a toxic effect on American politics. If George W. Bush is re-elected, unlimited corporate power, cynicism and division will ride high in the saddle."

Its amazing, but Bush is actually more popular here at FYM than he is in Massachusetts, based on the latest polls!:wink:

Eisenhower's son endorses Kerry

TRAPPE, Maryland (AP) -- John Eisenhower, son of Republican President Eisenhower, said in a newspaper column this week that he will vote for Democratic Sen. John Kerry for president on November 2.

In a rare public announcement, Eisenhower said he switched his party affiliation from Republican to independent after 50 years after losing confidence in his former party. He said Kerry has demonstrated courage, competence and a concern for tackling the "widening socio-economic gap in this country."

"There are times when we must break with the past, and I believe this is one of them," Eisenhower wrote in the opinion column published Tuesday in The Union Leader of Manchester, New Hampshire.

The column assails President Bush and the GOP for federal budget deficits, for "unilaterally" invading Iraq and for infringing on personal liberties.

The Bush campaign had no immediate comment.

Eisenhower, 82, declined to be interviewed Wednesday. His wife, Joanne Eisenhower, said by telephone from their home on Maryland's Eastern Shore that, "This is something he felt strongly about."

"The fact is that today's 'Republican' Party is one with which I am totally unfamiliar. To me, the word 'Republican' has always been synonymous with the word 'responsibility,' which has meant limiting our governmental obligations to those we can afford in human and financial terms.

"Today's whopping budget deficit of some $440 billion does not meet that criterion," Eisenhower wrote.

Eisenhower, a former U.S. ambassador to Belgium and author, was a registered Republican for 50 years -- until the Bush administration's decision to invade Iraq "as a maverick," he wrote.

"Recent developments indicate that the current Republican Party leadership has confused confident leadership with hubris and arrogance," he wrote.

Eisenhower scolded the Republican leadership for embracing a tax code that "heads us in the direction of a society of very rich and very poor."

"Senator Kerry, in whom I am willing to place my trust, has demonstrated that he is courageous, sober, competent, and concerned with fighting the dangers associated with the widening socio-economic gap in this country," he concluded.

How someone can be intelligent enough to be affected by U2 and their music, yet support Bush, is beyond me.

macphister said:
How someone can be intelligent enough to be affected by U2 and their music, yet support Bush, is beyond me.

It is frustrating to me that people think being a fan of U2 equals being a liberal/democrat and anti Republican or anti Bush.

Many fans may be shocked to realize that U2 are not pacifist and that they have actually supported somethings that Bush has done during his administration.

In addition, U2 have not spoken on a wide variety of political issues and its foolish to claim they support this or that when they have not even talked about the particular issue in public.

In any event, it is possible to enjoy the music an artist makes even if you have opposite political view points

Last edited:
:applaud:

Congrats to FYM Bush supporters, over 60 and rising. There are now 6 times as many Bush supporters here than I thought there were. FYM might actually be a friendlier place for Bush than Massachusetts!:wink:

I understand your frustration, Sting. The guy who helped me get to my first Elevation show in Atlanta in 2001 was a registered Republican. It was one of the most amazing nights of my whole life. People shouldn't assume that because a person likes U2 that they are going to be lefties. You're right, U2 aren't pacifists. They supported the actions in Bosnia, Kosovo, and Afghanistan. In fact, so did I, all three missions!

macphister said:
How someone can be intelligent enough to be affected by U2 and their music, yet support Bush, is beyond me. [/QUOTE

Well, I think it's because some people see right through mr. kerry's attempt at calling himself a Catholic, much less a Christian. He may believe in God, but the Christian religions teach that Jesus Christ is to be our model. I'd be shocked if Jesus wouldn't vote for a ban on partial birth abortion. In fact, I think he'd work to pass an amendment to end abortion entirely (and I will admit, I struggle a lot, as we all do, with trying to be like Christ, but with such a fundamental teaching as Life, I think this is a fair comparison). Because, last I checked, Jesus wasn't one to say, "I don't want the will of the Father to get involved with government".

"If the world hates you, realize that it hated me first."
John 15, verse 18

RTSS said:
Well, I think it's because some people see right through mr. kerry's attempt at calling himself a Catholic, much less a Christian.

Are you electing a Pope or a president?

I just love when people parade out and tell the rest of us what Jesus would and wouldn't do. Are you those "meek" who shall inherit the earth?

anitram said:

Are you electing a Pope or a president?

I just love when people parade out and tell the rest of us what Jesus would and wouldn't do. Are you those "meek" who shall inherit the earth?

We're electing a President. This isn't a recommendation for canonization, it's just the circumstances that the Democratic nominee is from the Catholic tradition and continues to observe certain traditions like attending mass and taking the sacraments. This religion stuff is bothering me. It'd be downright insulting to the 2000 Democatic Vice Presidential nominee, Joe Lieberman, who, of course is from a religious tradition that does not accept the divinity of Jesus. The President is supposed to be a U.S. citizen not a member of any religious body, necessarily.

verte76 said:

The President is supposed to be a U.S. citizen not a member of any religious body, necessarily.

I understand that, and what you're saying is perfectly acceptable. But if you're a member of the Catholic Church (in this case with Mr. Kerry), you have to look at the way that this man represents you. If he talk about his Catholic religion, which he has, he's representing you on a world scale. I don't want somebody like that in office, the Catholic Church isn't what he makes it out to be. As for Mr. Bush, I'm not going to defend him under the circumstances of this conversation, he's not of the same religion as me, although he appears to be the more Catholic candidate. But we have to be honest, your religion should become involved in your voting because you can't believe in conflicting "truths". You can't have life be truth in the personal part of your life, but have choice be truth in the public part of your life. I don't mean to make anyone mad, I've argued with enough people about this and it doesn't help anything. Ignore the religion talk if you want. I can't make anyone listen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom