MERGED-->FYM Election Poll - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Who will you be voting for, for US President?
Kerry 171 66.02%
Bush 74 28.57%
None. I'm a loser and won't vote. 4 1.54%
Other. I'm a loser too and would prefer to waste my vote on someone else in this tight race. 3 1.16%
Undecided between Bush and Kerry. 7 2.70%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2004, 08:17 PM   #241
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RTSS

But if you're a member of the Catholic Church (in this case with Mr. Kerry), you have to look at the way that this man represents you. If he talk about his Catholic religion, which he has, he's representing you on a world scale.
I'm a member of the Catholic Church and I have not a single issue with how he represents me on a world scale. Perverted priests? Now that bugs.

This is from just outside Allentown, PA.

Subtle.

Old 10-22-2004, 08:39 PM   #242
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:11 AM
It's a typo, it was meant to say one nation under dog

Old 10-23-2004, 12:57 PM   #243
Babyface

I agree, it's definitely not subtle. We have a board like that out here by Lansing.

Of course I'm not happy with perverted priests representing the Church either. To say I was would be lunacy (is that a word?).

Maybe you and I don't have the same understanding of Church teaching, but to my knoweldge, the Vatican has said that issues regarding abortion, stem-cell research, human cloning, etc. are on a higher level of importance than issues like the economy or health care. And, of course the Vatican has said that they don't agree with how the war on terror is being handled, they don't agree on how America is handling thousands of huiman lives each day (4,000 future of Americans are killed) either.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:12 PM   #244
War Child

Whoops, shoulda read the 'eligible to vote' thing... ah well, another Kerry vote in Mass doesn't change much...
Old 10-23-2004, 02:28 PM   #245
The Fly

Kerry all the way

Also a couple thoughts: not all lefties are pacifists. My personal opinion is that war is to be used wisely and as a last resort. I'm not for wussing out. Sept. 11 was a perfectly solid reason to go to war. But the Iraq war . . . that was another story.

And, God is neither Democrat nor Republican.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:42 PM   #246
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by RTSS
Maybe you and I don't have the same understanding of Church teaching, but to my knoweldge, the Vatican has said that issues regarding abortion, stem-cell research, human cloning, etc. are on a higher level of importance than issues like the economy or health care.
Quotes?

I don't care what the Vatican deems to be important in the matters of administering a state. Christianity (Catholicism included) is not a theocracy and as such, Catholicism can and should dogmatically not influence matters of the state or government.

Islam and Judaism are theocracies, which is why religion permeates their entire social fabric including government. Christianity is something entirely different, look it up.
Old 10-24-2004, 05:02 AM   #247
ONE
love, blood, life

I do not think that Kerry can make that much out of his religion, Bush on the other hand can really reach out to the Christians.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2004, 08:20 AM   #248
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:11 PM
Earlier this year Cardinal Ratzinger, the pope's right hand man and a noted conservative, put out a statement about Catholics and voting in the political elections. He said that we have to look at the whole picture, every issue, pray, and then decide who we think is more conducive to a "culture of life". Since then some bishops in the U.S. have put out statements telling Catholics not to vote for politicians who don't accept the Church's teachings on abortion, gay marriage or stem cell research. However, this has been countered by Cardinal McCurran of Washington, who has made it clear that it's OK for Catholics to vote for Kerry if we so choose. We're voting for a President of the United States, not a President of the Catholic States. Hell, my own Protestant parents disagree with me on abortion. I respect their views. I'm the only member of my family who is even against abortion in principle. I happen not to think laws making abortion illegal would work. Rather, I pray for it to stop.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:05 AM   #249
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Quotes?

I don't care what the Vatican deems to be important in the matters of administering a state. Christianity (Catholicism included) is not a theocracy and as such, Catholicism can and should dogmatically not influence matters of the state or government.

Islam and Judaism are theocracies, which is why religion permeates their entire social fabric including government. Christianity is something entirely different, look it up.
Antriram.

Let's not forget Catholic social teaching, which calls for solidarity with the poor. Matt 25-26 is esp. relevant to this. Christ speaks of separating the sheep and goats based on what they did for the sick, the hungary, prisoners, etc. (Think about how radical THAT is--how ready we are to instead JUDGE those in prison.) I see issues of economic justice and global peace as the ones which are of primary import, since they have the greatest impact on the life and well bring of the most people.

SD
Old 10-26-2004, 04:57 PM   #250
Refugee

Voting for Kerry
Old 10-27-2004, 06:29 PM   #251
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:11 PM
Bush doing well among lower and middle income whites, whereas Kerry leads among whites earning more than $100,000 a year despite his promise to roll back the Bush tax cuts for people making more than $200,000 a year. As president, Bush has enacted big tax cuts for the rich but the rich are voting for Kerry. What's up here? The same poll shows that 2/3 of the people who attend a house of worship at least once a week are voting for Bush, whereas 60% of those who attend religious services less than once a week are voting for Kerry, in part because these voters recoil at Bush's constant use of religious imagery. Lower income whites like Bush's proposal to ban gay marriage but only a quarter believe his policies have been good for the economy. In contrast, affluent whites who have benefitted the most from the Bush tax cuts believe Bush's policies have hurt the economy. In short, far more than in previous years, economic policy is taking a back seat to cultural issues. The real divide seems to be between deeply religious lower income, lower education, voters living in small towns and rural areas who have conservative values on abortion and gay marriage versus higher income, higher education, secular, urban voters who have progressive views on cultural issues.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:20 PM   #252
ONE
love, blood, life

But there are always going to be exceptions to the rule.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:59 AM   #253
Blue Crack Addict

Just about everyone in my parish is voting for Bush. I've seen quite a few "W" buttons at mass. It's a very Republican district in a very Republican state, plus polls have shown that Bush has the majority of *practicing* Catholic votes. Practicing Catholics are more likely to really disapprove of Kerry's position on abortion. I think among Catholics as a whole it's more competitive, but I don't have any numbers to prove it.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:03 AM   #254
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
But there are always going to be exceptions to the rule.
I keep wondering if the polls are taking first-time voters into account. There are many of these. Voting workers right here in Birmingham have been swamped with new voter registrations, and I'm sure that's the case all over.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:18 AM   #255
ONE
love, blood, life

I do ask myself that same question, but I think that first time voters may be pretty evenly divided, well except for the dead ones