MERGED-->FYM Election Poll - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Who will you be voting for, for US President?
Kerry 171 66.02%
Bush 74 28.57%
None. I'm a loser and won't vote. 4 1.54%
Other. I'm a loser too and would prefer to waste my vote on someone else in this tight race. 3 1.16%
Undecided between Bush and Kerry. 7 2.70%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2004, 08:24 PM   #226
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:28 PM
Its amazing, but Bush is actually more popular here at FYM than he is in Massachusetts, based on the latest polls!

Old 10-08-2004, 08:41 PM   #227
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

enlightment is not a word.

you don't recognize Bush-speak?

Old 10-09-2004, 06:07 AM   #228
Refugee

Local Time: 03:28 PM
Even though I hate them Both I'll go with Bush. Kerry's do blah for me.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:27 PM   #229
Blue Crack Addict

Eisenhower's son endorses Kerry

TRAPPE, Maryland (AP) -- John Eisenhower, son of Republican President Eisenhower, said in a newspaper column this week that he will vote for Democratic Sen. John Kerry for president on November 2.

In a rare public announcement, Eisenhower said he switched his party affiliation from Republican to independent after 50 years after losing confidence in his former party. He said Kerry has demonstrated courage, competence and a concern for tackling the "widening socio-economic gap in this country."

"There are times when we must break with the past, and I believe this is one of them," Eisenhower wrote in the opinion column published Tuesday in The Union Leader of Manchester, New Hampshire.

The column assails President Bush and the GOP for federal budget deficits, for "unilaterally" invading Iraq and for infringing on personal liberties.

The Bush campaign had no immediate comment.

Eisenhower, 82, declined to be interviewed Wednesday. His wife, Joanne Eisenhower, said by telephone from their home on Maryland's Eastern Shore that, "This is something he felt strongly about."

"The fact is that today's 'Republican' Party is one with which I am totally unfamiliar. To me, the word 'Republican' has always been synonymous with the word 'responsibility,' which has meant limiting our governmental obligations to those we can afford in human and financial terms.

"Today's whopping budget deficit of some $440 billion does not meet that criterion," Eisenhower wrote.

Eisenhower, a former U.S. ambassador to Belgium and author, was a registered Republican for 50 years -- until the Bush administration's decision to invade Iraq "as a maverick," he wrote.

"Recent developments indicate that the current Republican Party leadership has confused confident leadership with hubris and arrogance," he wrote.

Eisenhower scolded the Republican leadership for embracing a tax code that "heads us in the direction of a society of very rich and very poor."

"Senator Kerry, in whom I am willing to place my trust, has demonstrated that he is courageous, sober, competent, and concerned with fighting the dangers associated with the widening socio-economic gap in this country," he concluded.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:17 AM   #230
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by bonojr62
Even though I hate them Both I'll go with Bush. Kerry's do blah for me.
If you want excitment, get a motorcycle. Elections should be about issues.

SD
Old 10-18-2004, 08:07 PM   #231
Babyface

Local Time: 02:28 PM
Kerry
Old 10-20-2004, 01:37 PM   #232
The Fly

How someone can be intelligent enough to be affected by U2 and their music, yet support Bush, is beyond me.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:59 PM   #233
Blue Crack Addict

There is a bigger world out there macphister....
Old 10-20-2004, 05:46 PM   #234
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by macphister
How someone can be intelligent enough to be affected by U2 and their music, yet support Bush, is beyond me.
It is frustrating to me that people think being a fan of U2 equals being a liberal/democrat and anti Republican or anti Bush.

Many fans may be shocked to realize that U2 are not pacifist and that they have actually supported somethings that Bush has done during his administration.

In addition, U2 have not spoken on a wide variety of political issues and its foolish to claim they support this or that when they have not even talked about the particular issue in public.

In any event, it is possible to enjoy the music an artist makes even if you have opposite political view points
Old 10-20-2004, 05:53 PM   #235
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Congrats to FYM Bush supporters, over 60 and rising. There are now 6 times as many Bush supporters here than I thought there were. FYM might actually be a friendlier place for Bush than Massachusetts!
Old 10-20-2004, 06:02 PM   #236
Blue Crack Addict

I understand your frustration, Sting. The guy who helped me get to my first Elevation show in Atlanta in 2001 was a registered Republican. It was one of the most amazing nights of my whole life. People shouldn't assume that because a person likes U2 that they are going to be lefties. You're right, U2 aren't pacifists. They supported the actions in Bosnia, Kosovo, and Afghanistan. In fact, so did I, all three missions!
Old 10-20-2004, 06:16 PM   #237
Babyface

[QUOTE]Originally posted by macphister
How someone can be intelligent enough to be affected by U2 and their music, yet support Bush, is beyond me. [/QUOTE

Well, I think it's because some people see right through mr. kerry's attempt at calling himself a Catholic, much less a Christian. He may believe in God, but the Christian religions teach that Jesus Christ is to be our model. I'd be shocked if Jesus wouldn't vote for a ban on partial birth abortion. In fact, I think he'd work to pass an amendment to end abortion entirely (and I will admit, I struggle a lot, as we all do, with trying to be like Christ, but with such a fundamental teaching as Life, I think this is a fair comparison). Because, last I checked, Jesus wasn't one to say, "I don't want the will of the Father to get involved with government".

"If the world hates you, realize that it hated me first."
John 15, verse 18
Old 10-20-2004, 06:43 PM   #238
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by RTSS
Well, I think it's because some people see right through mr. kerry's attempt at calling himself a Catholic, much less a Christian.
Are you electing a Pope or a president?

I just love when people parade out and tell the rest of us what Jesus would and wouldn't do. Are you those "meek" who shall inherit the earth?
Old 10-21-2004, 06:06 AM   #239
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Are you electing a Pope or a president?

I just love when people parade out and tell the rest of us what Jesus would and wouldn't do. Are you those "meek" who shall inherit the earth?
We're electing a President. This isn't a recommendation for canonization, it's just the circumstances that the Democratic nominee is from the Catholic tradition and continues to observe certain traditions like attending mass and taking the sacraments. This religion stuff is bothering me. It'd be downright insulting to the 2000 Democatic Vice Presidential nominee, Joe Lieberman, who, of course is from a religious tradition that does not accept the divinity of Jesus. The President is supposed to be a U.S. citizen not a member of any religious body, necessarily.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:49 AM   #240
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

The President is supposed to be a U.S. citizen not a member of any religious body, necessarily.
I understand that, and what you're saying is perfectly acceptable. But if you're a member of the Catholic Church (in this case with Mr. Kerry), you have to look at the way that this man represents you. If he talk about his Catholic religion, which he has, he's representing you on a world scale. I don't want somebody like that in office, the Catholic Church isn't what he makes it out to be. As for Mr. Bush, I'm not going to defend him under the circumstances of this conversation, he's not of the same religion as me, although he appears to be the more Catholic candidate. But we have to be honest, your religion should become involved in your voting because you can't believe in conflicting "truths". You can't have life be truth in the personal part of your life, but have choice be truth in the public part of your life. I don't mean to make anyone mad, I've argued with enough people about this and it doesn't help anything. Ignore the religion talk if you want. I can't make anyone listen