MERGED-->FYM Election Poll - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Who will you be voting for, for US President?
Kerry 171 66.02%
Bush 74 28.57%
None. I'm a loser and won't vote. 4 1.54%
Other. I'm a loser too and would prefer to waste my vote on someone else in this tight race. 3 1.16%
Undecided between Bush and Kerry. 7 2.70%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-07-2004, 03:22 PM   #136
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 04:01 PM
I wouldn't know whose polling data that was. Obviously it was not Gallup. Apologies for some pretty sloppy research, I should have been able to cite the source. I have been having serious problems with my concentration recently. I don't know if this has anything to do with being an autistic or not. At any rate, I am an autistic! Even the best ones screw up. Cantor and some of the other medievalists blatantly contradict each other. I thought a research project on medieval universities, which took me sixteen months to do, was going to put me in my grave. Quite often I had to pick which conflicting account I was to use, which was nerve-wracking, to say the least.
__________________

__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 09-07-2004, 03:46 PM   #137
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 04:01 PM
OK, but don't you think one problem with polls is that they don't differentiate between "soft" and "hard" support for a candidate? "Soft" support is at least potentially transient; "hard" support isn't going anywhere. Yes, Kerry's campaign is in trouble. It's not looking good for him at all.
__________________

__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 09-07-2004, 06:20 PM   #138
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
OK, but don't you think one problem with polls is that they don't differentiate between "soft" and "hard" support for a candidate? "Soft" support is at least potentially transient; "hard" support isn't going anywhere. Yes, Kerry's campaign is in trouble. It's not looking good for him at all.
It would be great to have that aspect in the poll and in fact I think Gallup does do that. I'll have to look back at the full report though.
__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 09-07-2004, 06:21 PM   #139
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,290
Local Time: 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by odowdpa
To the comment about the Dems winning in 2008, there is almost no chance of that occurring, IMHO. If Rudy Guiliani runs for the office, he will win, even if the lefties do choose Hilary.
You have no way of knowing what will happen in 4 years to sour the population against the Republicans. A war or two more, an economy truly in the shitter and people will be itching for change. Hillary v. Giuliani would be hilarious though.
__________________
anitram is online now  
Old 09-08-2004, 06:39 AM   #140
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram


You have no way of knowing what will happen in 4 years to sour the population against the Republicans. A war or two more, an economy truly in the shitter and people will be itching for change. Hillary v. Giuliani would be hilarious though.
That's very true. Lately things haven't been so great for second-term presidents. Nixon didn't even make it through his, Reagan had Iran-Contra, which was really damaging and we all know what happened to Clinton. If things don't go well then the Democrat might have an advantage. Bush could louse up the economy or whatever. By the same token a President Giuliani would be interesting. I also stand by my view that McCain isn't through with presidential politics.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 09-08-2004, 04:20 PM   #141
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram


You have no way of knowing what will happen in 4 years to sour the population against the Republicans. A war or two more, an economy truly in the shitter and people will be itching for change. Hillary v. Giuliani would be hilarious though.
So you agree they are not itching for change now?
__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 09-08-2004, 09:26 PM   #142
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,290
Local Time: 11:01 AM
We can't allow Bush to have four more years. He is a danger to the wellbeing of the country and to the world.

Cut military spending, use the money saved to start a national healthcare system. Cut back on capital punishment. Stay out of the bedroom and out of the womb altogether. Give full funding to stem cell research. And give BIG, BIG amounts of monetary and medical aid to third world countries in Africa and elsewhere to save so many lives from AIDs and other diseases. And have all the troops out of Iraq within two or three years. And no more going to war without UN approval. That's my ideal scenario. Now, it's not like all of it will happen under Kerry, but some of it will. None of it will happen under Bush. Vote Kerry Nov. 2.
__________________
namkcuR is offline  
Old 09-09-2004, 01:59 PM   #143
Refugee
 
Klaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Posts: 2,432
Local Time: 05:01 PM
What the world thinks about the US and the upcoming election:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3640754.stm

Quote:
Global research company GlobeScan Inc and the University of Maryland found clear leads for Mr Kerry among those polled in 30 of the countries.

Only Filipino, Polish and Nigerian respondents clearly backed Mr Bush.

Most said Mr Bush's foreign policy had made them feel worse about the US since his election in 2000.

...

Norway: 74%-7%
Germany: 74%-10%
France: 64%-5%
Italy: 58%-14%
Spain: 45%-7%
UK: 47%-16%
Canada: 61%-16%
Mexico: 38%-18%
Brazil: 57%-14%
China: 52%-12%
Japan: 43%-32%
Indonesia: 57%-34%
India: 34%-33%
Philippines: 32%-57%
Nigeria: 33%-27%
Poland: 26%-31%
Thailand: 30%-33%
Time to kick the ass out of the new axis of the unsuportive and because of that evil (tm): Norway, Germany, France, Italy, Spain and UK.
__________________
Klaus is offline  
Old 09-09-2004, 03:51 PM   #144
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 08:01 AM
Perhaps Kerry should run for the leader of the EU....



At home, the voters see things a little differently


Quote:
For the first time in a Post-ABC news poll this year, a majority of likely voters now say they plan to vote for Bush. Among those most likely to vote in November, Bush holds a 52 percent to 43 percent lead over Kerry, with independent Ralph Nader receiving 2 percent of the hypothetical vote. Among all registered voters, Bush leads Kerry 50 percent to 44 percent.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 09-09-2004, 06:34 PM   #145
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
We can't allow Bush to have four more years. He is a danger to the wellbeing of the country and to the world.

Cut military spending, use the money saved to start a national healthcare system. Cut back on capital punishment. Stay out of the bedroom and out of the womb altogether. Give full funding to stem cell research. And give BIG, BIG amounts of monetary and medical aid to third world countries in Africa and elsewhere to save so many lives from AIDs and other diseases. And have all the troops out of Iraq within two or three years. And no more going to war without UN approval. That's my ideal scenario. Now, it's not like all of it will happen under Kerry, but some of it will. None of it will happen under Bush. Vote Kerry Nov. 2.
Cut military spending? Precisely what do you want our military personal not to have? Military spending is vital to national security and is the most important item in the budget. Without national security, other priorties would be impossible to fund.

The United States went to war against Saddam with the approval of the United Nations from not just one resolution but 3! United Nations resolutions 678, 687, and 1441 all authorized the use of military force against Saddam if he failed to Verifiably Disarm of all WMD as well as meeting other obligations from a total 17 UN resolutions Saddam was in violation of!

Bush has strengthend the military and enforced the United Nations mos serious resolutions. One of the worse Dictators in history has been removed as well as the threat to most of the planets energy supply. 50 million people have been freed from brutal dictatorship in Iraq and Afghanistan which are now transitioning to democracy.

Bush has done more to fight terrorism than any other president in history. Thousands of members of Al Quada have been captured and killed.

Kerry's record has shown that he is unsupportive of the military, unwilling to respond to aggression that threatens vital US interest the example being his opposition to removing Saddam's military from Kuwait in 1991, and does not have a clear idea about where he stands on other foreign policy issues and international trade.

Bush is easily the better candidate and should be re-elected.
__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 09-09-2004, 06:36 PM   #146
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 04:01 PM
A new ABC news poll released today has Bush ahead of Kerry:

52% to 43%.


It was funny to hear Peter Jennings read those results because he did not sound to happy. Peter has had trouble in hiding his liberal leanings in the past.
__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 09-09-2004, 11:08 PM   #147
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,290
Local Time: 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2


Cut military spending? Precisely what do you want our military personal not to have? Military spending is vital to national security and is the most important item in the budget. Without national security, other priorties would be impossible to fund.

The United States went to war against Saddam with the approval of the United Nations from not just one resolution but 3! United Nations resolutions 678, 687, and 1441 all authorized the use of military force against Saddam if he failed to Verifiably Disarm of all WMD as well as meeting other obligations from a total 17 UN resolutions Saddam was in violation of!

Bush has strengthend the military and enforced the United Nations mos serious resolutions. One of the worse Dictators in history has been removed as well as the threat to most of the planets energy supply. 50 million people have been freed from brutal dictatorship in Iraq and Afghanistan which are now transitioning to democracy.

Bush has done more to fight terrorism than any other president in history. Thousands of members of Al Quada have been captured and killed.

Kerry's record has shown that he is unsupportive of the military, unwilling to respond to aggression that threatens vital US interest the example being his opposition to removing Saddam's military from Kuwait in 1991, and does not have a clear idea about where he stands on other foreign policy issues and international trade.

Bush is easily the better candidate and should be re-elected.
Convenient how you ignore all the other points I made. You said nothing about aid to third world countries or full funding for stem cell research or national healthcare reform or anything else I said. You took one item and wrote five paragraphs about it. Could that possibly be because you know you can't say anything positive about Bush in those other areas?

The military is already getting more money than it needs to adequetly protect us. There is excess money being spent on it that could better be used on other things. The 'Star Wars' thing, that needs to be cut. Military spending just needs to be cut, the Bush administration is putting far too much importance on the military, so much so that it makes it clear to anyone with a two-digit IQ that Bush either doesn't like or isn't good at diplomacy, and either way, that doesn't sit well with me.

And your comment about Bush doing more to fight terrorism than any other president in history is blatantly ignorant. Would you consider the Nazis to be terrorists? I certainly do. They tried to kill an entire race off for no good reason other than that they were brainwashed by a dictator who was probably worse than Saddam ever was. As tragic as the 3000 death toll from 9/11 and the 1000 death toll from the war are, they pale in comparison to the amount of Jews that were killed during the Holocast. Now, who was the president at the time? FDR. And he had a significant part in the events that led to Hitler's death and the collapse of Nazi Germany. And that's just one easy arguement against yours that Bush has done the more than any other president against terrorism.

As for the current election, polls show that the majority of other countries would like to see Kerry elected. Do you understand the implication of that? It means that outside of America, most developed countries feel like Kerry would be better for the entire WORLD than Bush would be. I for one agree. Look what's happened in Bush's term:

The biggest surplus in history was transformed into the biggest deficit in history.

Healthcare rates skyrocketed to the point where our healthcare premiums are by far the highest in the world, and to the point where literally tens of thousands of people travel to other countries, especially Canada, on a regular basis to get their healthcare drugs.

$300 Billion and 1000+ young lives were wasted on an immoral, baseless, pointless, unwinnable war that was presented to the American public under false pretenses, which is just a generous way of saying Bush lied his ass off to the entire country, and as a result the world is now a more dangerous place.

The commander-in-chief actually wanted to amend the constitution to outlaw gay marriage.

The commander-in-chief absolutely murdered, destroyed, decimated, the English language on a near daily basis, and proved that he is one of the worst, dare I say possibly the worst, public speaker in the history of politics.

The commander-in-chief has proven himself to be of less than the average intelligence usually desired in a president.

Unprecedent world support for America on 9/11 has disappeared, thanks to GWB, and we are now damn-near hated in the international community, and if that doesn't bother you, you're a fool.

The wealthiest of the wealthy were given the biggest tax cuts.

I could go on and on.

And please, please, stop complaining about Kerry being a flip-flopper. They're all guilty of it, even your guy Bush. When running in 2000, Bush said he'd renew the Assault Weapon Ban. Well, it's expiring, and though it hasn't reached his desk yet, it's a fact that if it did, he'd let it expire, just for the sake of getting the NRA's endorsement and more votes. You don't have a leg to stand on to be talking about Kerry's flip-flopping.

I believe that Bush is a danger to the world and to this country. I don't think Kerry will be great but I do think he'll be 1000 times better than Bush could ever hope to be.
__________________
namkcuR is offline  
Old 09-10-2004, 12:44 AM   #148
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 02:01 AM
The Nazi's were not terrorists because the Nazi regime held power over a country, Germany. They are not terrorists - they were evil despots to be sure but not terrorists. The war against Islamofascism is an entirely different fight than WW2, you are battleing a non-state political entity that can operate freely withing the confines of any open society. That is a false analogy and discredits an entire line of your argument.

Seperate issues here
Terrorism - Bush has done more to fight than any other President because today terrorism and rogue states are the principle enemies to US interests.

War in Iraq - Firstly every leader thought that Iraq possessed WMD (France, Russia etc.), Iraq did not verifiably disarm its banned weapons as directed to under the ceasefire treaty (Sting please drop a list down, thanks). Iraq had links to Islamist terrorist organizations. This tired old argument that it was a useless and immoral war makes absolutely no sense.

Before the war tens of thousands of innocent people died in Iraq every year because of the regime manipulating UN sanctions, the Baathists bribed UN officials to keep this scam running and a lot of information has come out about this post war.

The war claimed 13,000 civilian lives since its beginning, this is a very small figure considering that in that same time span up to 150,000 people would have been killed by the regime.

You are trying to tell us all that standing by and letting 150,000 innocent people die, leaving a persistent threat to stability in the region and not even trying to intitiate democratic change in the Arab world is more moral than intervening, if that is what you believe then I don't think there is anything I can do to sway your misguided opinion.

What ever crushes individuality is despotism, no matter what name it is called. --John Stuart Mill
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 09-10-2004, 06:35 AM   #149
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
A new ABC news poll released today has Bush ahead of Kerry:

52% to 43%.


It was funny to hear Peter Jennings read those results because he did not sound to happy. Peter has had trouble in hiding his liberal leanings in the past.
I'm glad I'm not an anchor for a major network. I don't let bad political news really get me down. I used to, and I got tired of it, so I don't now. I mean, hell, when life gives you lemons, drink lemonade. Now, I could do without that hassle I'm having with a link on one of my sites.........I e-mailed the guy whose site it is and I haven't heard from him, but I know he didn't take down his site! But the link is screwy. At a ny rate we've got two more months in this election cycle, and then when it's over, gosh, it's always a relief to have Election Day out of the way!
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 09-10-2004, 07:06 AM   #150
Refugee
 
Klaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Posts: 2,432
Local Time: 05:01 PM
nbc/sting:
the reason i posted these statistics was the idea of an explanation for the discrepancy between the FYM-poll and the US polls
__________________

__________________
Klaus is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com