MERGED==> French Riots + a French Intifada? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2005, 08:33 PM   #61
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:06 AM
Fascist, interesting enough, why?
Quote:
"We feel rejected, compared to the kids who live in better neighborhoods,” said Nasim, a chunky 16-year-old with braces and acne. “Everything here is broken down and abandoned ..."

"We don’t have the American dream here,” said Rezzoug, as he surveyed the clusters of young men. “We don’t even have the French dream here."
Well that proves it, I think we all know who's really responsible for this dissolusion, they are just victims of American propaganda
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...ANCE-RIOTS.xml

Old 11-06-2005, 08:34 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:06 PM
Mark Steyn is journalistic excrement at its best. I cringe anytime I see his name.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:35 PM   #63
ONE
love, blood, life

Yes but is he a fascist and if so why?
Old 11-06-2005, 08:37 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Well I didn't call him that so I'm not really sure what the basis of financeguy's assertion is.

As a journalist, he's an embarrassment. Relegated to such right wing pieces of trash like the National (Com)Post.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:39 PM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

Are opinion piece writers really journalists?
Old 11-06-2005, 08:42 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Journalists with an opinion.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:44 PM   #67
ONE
love, blood, life

Well all journalists have opinion, just read a BBC newsfeed
Old 11-06-2005, 08:50 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

'Abject segregated poverty' - I don't agree Tarvark, they are financially better off in France than they would be in their home countries. I do think that A_Wanderer might have a point in regard to France's excessive social welfare provisioning.

The Muslims in France, as in other European countries, should make greater efforts to integrate. Might not be PC to say it, but there you go.
I think this is a rather simplistic view. Most of these rioters seem to be 2nd generation immigrants who grew up there, have a decent education and who speak french perfectly. If the situation in France is anything like in the Netherlands, I wouldn't be surprised if someone of North-African or Arabian descent has more problems finding a job because of racial prejudices. Over here in the Netherlands, it's common knowlegde that people with a Moroccan last name will not be called up for a job interview when there's an equally qualified 'native', and have considerably more problems finding something like an internship or getting access to bars.

I'm not surprised these people are upset, even though I'm not in any way condoning this violence. When a large part or society isn't or at least doesn't feel accepted, have an disproportionately high unemployment rate and don't have the money to move out of their neighbourhood (even though the excessive French welfare system is apparently fit for a King), this is what you can get. And basically, hardliners, like Sarkozy seems to be, only add fuel to the fire.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:28 PM   #69
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Fascist, interesting enough, why?Well that proves it, I think we all know who's really responsible for this dissolusion, they are just victims of American propaganda
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...ANCE-RIOTS.xml
Get a life.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:30 PM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

Get a sense of humour
Quote:
Former French matinee idol Pepe Le Pew was among the hundreds injured last night amid violent feline rioting in the impoverished Parisian suburb of Dans-le-Crappeur. Le Pew, 58, a former Warner Brothers studio actor turned Chirac government spokes-skunk, sustained severe scratches and concussions in the melee before nose-pin equipped EMT rescue squads could drag him to safety. He is expected to make a full recovery.

Last night’s rioting marked the eighth consecutive night of violence in the Paris suburbs, as thousands of immigrant feline youths continue to rampage to protest a lack of jobs and cuts in French government tuna programs. Dans-le-Crappeur, home to tens of thousands of unemployed first-hundred generation immigrant cats, has been particularly hard hit.
link
Old 11-06-2005, 09:31 PM   #71
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Get a sense of humour
I have one, it's just neo-cons like you make me sick.

Weirdo.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:34 PM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

Strange, I think the same thing about the objectively pro-fascist crowd.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:37 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Could you two aplha males please go and play somewhere else? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-06-2005, 10:55 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

* really interesting topic.

(I need to get a serious update on what's going on in the world. I've been too dsitracted lately............)

Old 11-07-2005, 06:13 AM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

And what precisely would you advocate as an alternative to 'neo-liberal politics', as you call them?
this is not the topic of this thread. And what do you mean, as "I call them"? Neo-liberal is a description for a certain form of politics. Has been used in the last 15 years so where´s the problem?

But since you asked: social politics. A social balance that creates jobs instead of destroying them and outsourcing into countries with cheaper workforce. Higher taxes on speculation (intl finance). Social support that makes sure everyone survives. When you put the responsibility of retirement from public into private hands (like it happened in Europe), you have to make sure the percentage you pay as "retirement tax" to the state is reduced. Which it isn´t, and I would like it to remain in public hands anyway. Then.. control of businesses for their Euro Craze. Our politicians promised that nothing would get more expensive, in reality the prices for all the food (except of milk and bread, maybe) rose between 30% and 50% since 2002 - which has a huge impact here. This is pushing the people into poverty.

No studying fees. Education should free. Change of foreign policy re: rise percentage of GDP for development help.

As to the situation in France, the government should have started with giving the immigrants more rights and providing a decent environment from the very start.

etc, etc, etc.