MERGED: Eminem's "Mosh" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 10-28-2004, 03:48 PM   #16
The Fly
Local Time: 09:04 AM
tooo bad most of his listening audience is not the age to vote.. hee hee hee..... NOT! luve sarcasm....

Old 10-28-2004, 06:45 PM   #17
love, blood, life
Local Time: 05:04 AM
Merging in process.

and you hunger for the time
time to heal, desire, time

Join Amnesty.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:56 PM   #18
War Child
Local Time: 03:04 AM
I want Bush out of office.....this video and song is absurd.
It makes people with legitimate gripes about our President look like left wing lunatics, not that I give a shit what it makes me look like, but it's about arguments being overshadowed.

Look, Bush is as incompetent of a President as there could possibly be, but he is not evil, c'mon!. Make arguments and opinions where legitimate gripes are, make them coherent and free of trash like this, and then and possibly only then will you get constructive discussion or even protest. This is the kind of stuff of the 'Crossfire' realm, inane bullshit.

Besides the fact that the video, aside from the content of the song is amatuerish, to put it nicely.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:39 AM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor
eminem's lyrics have always been thought provoking... this is not the first time. it's only that some people can't get past their hatred for all things rap and/or pop and actually read some of his lyrics. so be it.

as for this particular song? i respect his music, and i respect the opinions he stated here... i just disagree with him... and springsteen (oh shocking... more corruption charges have been brought up against mcgreevey and still not a word from the boss), and REM, and anyone else who's drinking the DNC kool aid.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:34 AM   #20
Here's some insight from the good Professor Cole:
The other interesting thing about the lyrics above is their invocation of the icon of lower middle class white identity, the "rebel yell." The appeal of the Confederate South for most of them lies not in its horrible race politics or slavery, but in a resistance to the intrusion of the Federal government into their lives.

Eminem cannily turns the Republicans' Southern Strategy against them, calling for a revolt against Bush policies by the guys Howard Dean referred to as having Confederate flags on their pickup trucks. (Although most listen to Country, some of the youngsters are Eminem fans.) Bush now becomes a symbol of grasping, stupid Federal interference, and Iraq is reconceived as a carpetbagging operation. "Until they bring our troops home" is a lyric that makes a moral claim. Bush & Co. have kidnapped US young persons in uniform and are holding them prisoner in an Iraqi cauldron for no good reason. The soldiers are not just soldiers but teenagers, Eminem's constituency.

The song is important as a development in popular culture. But I am arguing that it may also be important in class terms. If any significant number of lower middle class white youth are thinking like this, it could make a difference in some races.
Strikes me as a salient point ... perhaps the issue isn't the liberal response to this, but the potential response of decidedly non-liberals to it.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:13 PM   #21
War Child
Local Time: 09:04 AM
I respect Eminem's right to voice his opinion and art. And i mostly like all of his stuff (though, his singles are getting repetitive in structure).

My only conern is the timing...and i don't mean "timing" in the sense that this is all heating up just prior to the election. I mean timing as in where the hell was everyone when the war started and when there were anti-war people out in the streets? Where were the protest songs and protest rock tours then? The people that spoke out got nailed hard in the media or got ignored, but not many "artists" came to their defense.

I guess their defense now would be they didn't have all this evidence that the war was based on flawed intelligence. But the case for war was always debatable right from the start.

I guess my point is it's pretty easy to make this "protest" song right now...the country's split're guaranteed half the people will agree with you. That's not really taking that big an "artistic" chance.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:52 PM   #22
The Fly

Wow. Another artist making a "radical" criticism of Bush. Maybe someone should come out with a pro-Bush song. Now THAT would be shocking, and noteworthy...

Old 10-31-2004, 06:13 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
This is a pretty great second single off Eminem's album, although I'm still not that impressed with the actual song. I don't know how people who say "eminem sucks, he has no talent" can actually look at those lyrics and say that. the words are amazing. But the chorus and the music aren't that great, it's a song that will be played a lot because of it's political statements and then fade in about a month.

I agree that the timing isnt that great for this record, He should have released this a week before the last day to register. It's too late to vote for this election now if you haven't already registered, so the people that this does take effect with will see it and say "Now I want to vote, but I can't anyway." ???