MERGED: Dutch Filmmaker Murdered - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2004, 10:29 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:30 PM
Criticism shall be dealt with - permanently

A Dutch film maker recently made a movie critical of the treatment of women in Islam. It was scripted a Dutch-Somali woman MP who apostasised from Islam. He subsequently received death threats, and was under police protection.

Guess what?
He has been murdered
Quote:
Filmmaker Theo van Gogh had been threatened after the August airing of the movie "Submission," which he made with a right-wing Dutch politician who had renounced the Islamic faith of her birth. Van Gogh had received police protection after its release.

Dutch national broadcaster NOS and other media reported that Van Gogh's killer shot and stabbed his victim and left a note on his body. NOS said witnesses described the attacker as having an "Arab appearance."

[ ... ]

Another witness told Dutch Radio 1 the killer arrived by bicycle and shot Van Gogh as he got out of a car. "He fell backward on the bicycle path and just laid there. The shooter stayed next to him and waited. Waited to make sure he was dead."
Well the west must not be accomidating peoples beliefs very well, but please don't jump to any conclusions.
Quote:
Dutch Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende called on the Dutch people to remain calm. "Nothing is known about the motive," he said in a written statement. "I want to call on everyone not to jump to far-reaching conclusions.
Peace, tollerance - or else!

*At least it wasn't a ten year old child this time around.

Old 11-02-2004, 10:36 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:30 PM
Why can't they just boycott the distributor like everyone else?

I just love how some will bend over backwards to avoid demonizing even extreme militant Islam....

Old 11-02-2004, 10:45 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:30 AM

Many of us remember the murder on Pim Fortuyn and the deaththreats left wing politicians, environmental- and muslim organisations got received from people who didn't have a problems jumping to conclusions. I'm glad the PM had the common sense to adress it.

I am watching the demonstration on the Dam as we speak. It's good to see representatives from every part of the political and social spectrum (incl. muslim organisations) taking a stand against a brutal murder like this.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:58 AM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Why can't they just boycott the distributor like everyone else?

I just love how some will bend over backwards to avoid demonizing even extreme militant Islam....
How is it bending over backwards when you don't even know the motives? Apparently, yes it was somebody from Maroccan descent, but since there's nothing known yet about the motive we really don't know whether or not his ethniticity has anything to do with it. Personally, I think it may be, but nothing is sure yet.
I hope others think like this too. So we can avoid that others are harassing/killing others just because they are Muslim or Sikh or whatever...

isgusted by the murder:

Marty
Old 11-02-2004, 11:52 AM   #5
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:30 PM
So what I'm hearing is, it's OK to jump to conclusions. So if a white man murders a black man it must be racially driven. If anyone says otherwise they are bending over backwards to avoid demonizing...ok I get it. Wow you learn a lot here.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:13 PM   #6
The Fly

Local Time: 02:30 AM
can't believe the news today

a dutch filmmaker and journalist was killed today in amsterdam by a maroccan extremist. he recently made a film about the oppression of women in the islam.

apparantly holland has become a country in which you can't say anymore what you think and this makes me so sad and angry , it makes me actually very very sick !!!!

Where is the freedom of speech? A year after a dutch politician was killed, now an artist was shot. what kind of world do we live in?
Old 11-02-2004, 12:17 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

In all fairness, I'd be surprised if the killer doesn't turn out to be some pissed off radical muslim. Having said that, I'm worried about the impact this will have on our society. Already the usual right wing suspects are coming out of the woodwork talking about the faillure of our multicultural society. It is very disturbing.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:56 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

This is saddening and scary. I make political and social statements with my art sometimes. I'm not going to let terrorists and their ilk intimidate me. Jerks.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:50 PM   #9
War Child

It happened around the corner from my house. I didn't particularly like him, I didn't always agree with his points of view, but that doesn't mean he deserves to be murdered. You can guess what the motive was, but it's pretty clear by now it had to do with his view on the Islamic faith.

A discussion should be possible in a country like this (or any other country for that matter) without people slaughtering each other. What happened today makes me sick and it makes me question humanity (the little tiny faith I had left in it). There are a lot of people around the world getting murdered and it should stop. Unfortunately I'm not that naive that I think it will stop...
Old 11-02-2004, 07:20 PM   #10
War Child

So how can crimes like these by stopped? More understanding about other cultures?
Old 11-02-2004, 08:47 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

i read this european new...

then asia pacific bbc news....where someone was beheaded

and then south asia bbc news..where there were blasts

and then middle east bbc news - where there were kidnapping..

and not surprising all are related..and not many people understand it

Old 11-02-2004, 09:42 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Well it is a dangerous business, sections of the Islamic world likes to consider themselves peaceful, but if you disagree then you shall die!
Old 11-03-2004, 12:50 AM   #13
War Child

I think that's a bit narrowminded. Lots of Muslims have spoken out against the murder of Theo van Gogh yesterday. Lots of them are afraid that the non-muslims are going to get a witch-hunt started against them. I can't really judge the rest of the world, but for the Netherlands I think your statement (A_Wanderer I mean) is wrong. You can't judge all Muslims by a small number of people that form an extremist group. I'm talking about the Netherlands now of course!
Old 11-03-2004, 12:51 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

I never said all Muslims, I said some sections (a minority section to be sure) of the Islamic world will kill those that criticise or resist - they kill Christians, Jews, Hindus and a lot of other Muslims. Most Muslims are people of faith no better or worse than you or I but there is definitely a section in there that is not peaceful and such a section could be motivated enough to murder a man for making a political statement like this. To ignore such a problem within Islam and allow such violent men to supress the peacefull voices does a disservice to all people.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:58 AM   #15
War Child

Okay, I agree with you on that. I just hope that people in this country will think before they act... I mean, the murderer of Pim Fortuyn was a Dutch guy. I'm Dutch. But I'm not responsible for that murder...