MERGED--> Cardinal Says Condom lesser of two evil's + the Pope and safe sex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Cardinal Says Condom lesser of two evil's

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060421/ap_on_re_eu/vatican_condoms

Cardinal Carlo Maria Martini said that condoms are the less of two evil's and that aids is a more serious issue than condoms. He supports condom use in some cases.

"Others include Belgian Cardinal Godfried Danneels and Cardinal Javier Lozano Barragan of Mexico, who has said condoms could sometimes be condoned, such as when a woman cannot refuse the sexual advances of her HIV-positive husband."

I think the church should change and stop saying condoms are against the religion. They save lives and unwanted pregnancy's.

As a practicing Catholic myself I agree with you. I think it's terrible to forbid something that stops the spread of AIDS! They also help prevent abortion by preventing unplanned pregnancies.

Last edited:
verte76 said:
As a practicing Catholic myself I agree with you. I think it's terrible to forbid something that stops the spread of AIDS! They also help prevent abortion by preventing unplanned pregnancies.

I've learned something though, abortion is sexy. If the Catholic Church wants to gain sex appeal, it should support abortion.
I can just hear the Pope saying, "Virgin Mary should have aborted fetus."

I think that might've crossed the line. No, I don't actually think Mary should've aborted Jesus. Furthermore, I do not mean to disrespect anyone's beliefs.

Even though I'm not a Catholic (since I, for the most part, respect the Catholic Church, if I ever do end up picking a denomination within the Christian community it'll be Catholicism) I've always thought the church should provide contraceptives for at-risk individuals.

I'm so going to hell for this post. Anyone wanna join me?

The Catholic Church is obviously pro-AIDS, I hardly see how they should lecture people for being pro-Fetus-Death.

The Catholics in the 3rd world follow these condom/pill rules because they're too poor to have access to birth control in the first place.

The Catholics in the first world don't give a shit about what the Church says about birth control.

So in effect, nobody gives a shit.

enggirl said:

Sure, I'm in. I think it'll be more fun there, anyway. (If the people who the fundies say are goin' to hell really are going there...)

Really, as long as I don't have to be around fundamentalists, mormons, and tom cruise...anywhere will be heaven

I have a really cool Mormon friend. She's a U2 fan and claims that she's the only Democratic Mormon on the planet. She's active with the African Well Fund. We also have Mormon Interferencers. So I wouldn't want to stereotype them all.

Last edited:
Mu bumper sticker ready version of bascially what Justin and Verte are saying: in the age of AIDS, condoms are pro-life.

:up:

verte76 said:
I have a really cool Mormon friend. She's a U2 fan and claims that she's the only Democratic Mormon on the planet. She's active with the African Well Fund. We also have Mormon Interferencers. So I wouldn't want to stereotype them all.

i don't actually feel this way

Harry Reid Dem NV = Mormon

Mormons, like Jews have had to learn to survive with their minority status
They can have strong held beliefs and be tolerant.
Tom Cruise and the Scientologists are no real threat.

Now the fundies and the Evangelical Christians seem to have more in common with the hard-core Muslims and want to enforce their belief systems on others.

How is that for painting with a broad brush?
I really do not belief in this labeling and these generalizations.

Re: Harry Reid Dem NV = Mormon

deep said:
Mormons, like Jews have had to learn to survive with their minority status
They can have strong held beliefs and be tolerant.
Tom Cruise and the Scientologists are no real threat.

Now the fundies and the Evangelical Christians seem to have more in common with the hard-core Muslims and want to enforce their belief systems on others.

how about a fight between tom cruise and pat buchanan? who would win?

Are there any Catholics that still buy into this anymore? I've never met one.

It always seems like it's the celibate ones preaching about sex...:eyebrow:

Oh, there are some very conservative Catholics out there, trust me. I personally know of one guy in my parish who's so conservative he calls the New York Times a "communist" newspaper. I almost fell out of my chair at a Bible study class when he said "that communist newspaper". It wasn't exactly the place to say that I voted for Kerry. I'm pretty sure this guy is opposed to contraception. I also know some people who have pretty large families, and I would guess that they disapprove of contraception. Still, they're in the minority of U.S. Catholics.

Last edited:
verte76 said:

The Catholic idea is that upon every occurrence of sex, the expectation is for a child to be conceived. To think differently is to differ with the church.

Reactionary comments by a Cardinal... and do research the history of these specific Cardinals... is nothing more than a caveat and cave to what has been a traditional teaching of the church.

Unplanned pregnancies are not part of the Catholic vernacular. As a catholic, either revise your statement, or your faith.

To disapprove of contraception... God Forbid such a thing... and suprisingly he does. As much as I hate to identify myself with the populist Catholic Church of America... a far cry from the true Catholic Church seen Italy, Mexico.. and even Africa (though it is far less mature than the US Church), I also despise the thought that I may be sitting next to you on Sunday morning... A thought that I base my weekly visit to reconciliation upon.

Last edited:
ThatU2 said:

The Catholic idea is that upon every occurrence of sex, the expectation is for a child to be conceived. To think differently is to differ with the church.

:huh:

So let me get this straight. Sex is only for procreation, nothing else?

So when sex doesn't produce a child, is it a sin?

What about masterbation?

What a strange god...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

What about masterbation?

What a strange god...

Masterbation is most definitely frowned upon.....I am still trying to catch up on my childhood penance.....

10,000 hail mary's to go....:mad:

Now that this guy has been banned (again) I think it's safe to say that damn few Catholics buy that nonsense about sex and procreation. That even includes some priests. Many priests, believe it or not, tell couples they are getting ready to marry to use their conscience with birth control.

anitram said:
The Catholics in the 3rd world follow these condom/pill rules because they're too poor to have access to birth control in the first place.

The Catholics in the first world don't give a shit about what the Church says about birth control.

So in effect, nobody gives a shit.

that is not quite correct

many of these people really truly belive in the preachings of the catholic church. It is not about affording pills/ condoms or not (there would be no beating ups/ lynchings of people trying to educate about sex and AIDS and giving away condoms if it was a mere money issue). I have several deeply religious catholic classmates from tansania and kongo, who can afford to study in europe. Yet they still absolutely reject condoms. The church's word is law.

Having met several first world catholics who actually DO listen to the church (also young ones) I also believe that your assumpation there is not correct either.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

What about masterbation?

What a strange god...

The entire teaching of no condoms/no masturbation hinges on Onan's refusal to fullfill his duty to his brother.

Doesn't make sense to me either.

the Pope and safe sex

Vatican rumors.. some Cardinals, i.e. Martini, are advocating change of policies.. apparently the Pope is - no, not for allowing - but for excusing the use of condoms.

The thread that Justin started .. continues.. merge it if it needs to be merged :D

Last edited:
careful hiphop - if you merge with justin (use protection)

welcome to the 20th century

they seem to be making progress -
it took them four centuries to pardon Galileo

i knew someone was gonna say it :p

deep said:
welcome to the 20th century

they seem to be making progress -
it took them four centuries to pardon Galileo

weird thing being that this Pope is supposed to be a "conservative hardliner".

I wonder how they will go and what will be next.

Maybe the Vatican is pissed off by religious fundamentalists, people like Falwell and Robertson.. and doesn´t want to fuel the fire since so many people already left church. Or maybe they just wake up. Or this Pope wants to make history...

Back
Top Bottom