MERGED: Bush vs. the Irish Reporter - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2004, 12:02 AM   #16
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
I love that quote you posted, Diemen. My boss has it taped to her office door at work (supercool boss!).

Hang out in FYM more often!
If it didn't make my blood boil so much, I would.

Old 07-05-2004, 02:44 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

thanks meggie!

Old 07-05-2004, 03:09 AM   #18
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:11 PM
How utterly shameful.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:34 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
All I'm going to say is that the leader of our nation should be able to speak well without preparation, and should be able to field criticism, whether valid or biased, and especially when in the form of an interview, in an eloquent and intelligent fashion, without resorting to the canned soundbytes we've heard numerous times.
of course he can. with an electronic aide. and voices.

link

Quote:
Documentary filmmaker Jay Weidner has used wireless earpieces in his work, and thinks Bush is doing the same. "As I watched Bush give his recent speech," he recently stated in an article posted at www.rense.com, "his eyes wandered from right to left and from left to right. It was obvious that he was not reading from a TelePrompTer. Also I noticed that there were long pauses between his sentences. ... As a Film Director I recognized immediately what was happening" -- namely, a concealed earpiece. "Is this what Bush is doing? My answer is a definite 'yes'. During this same speech I watched as he immediately corrected a word that he had just mis-spoken. I have encountered this before during film shoots using the earpiece prompt. This is done because the speaker has gone slightly ahead of the earpiece prompt. He makes the mistake and then hears the correct word in his ear. He then corrects himself and goes on like nothing happened."
imagine what havoc one could wreak on mr. bush, should this be true, with a simple and cheap radio wave jammer.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:29 PM   #20
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Certainly worth a try...
Old 07-05-2004, 08:05 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
How utterly shameful.
Bush's responses to the questions or the reporters interupting questions?
Old 07-06-2004, 12:02 AM   #22
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

The reporter interrupted to get Bush back on subject.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:04 AM   #23
The Fly

Local Time: 02:11 AM
There's nothing wrong with being critical of any of our leaders, but then the quote at the beginning of this thread is far from objective reporting intent on providing constructive criticism (I assume it's an editorial).

Using adjectives like "hapless" (article) or "pampered" (thread title) accomplishes nothing except for inspiring either applause or anger from the political fringes.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:28 AM   #24
The Fly

I guess I shouldn't imply that anyone who likes or does not like the article's point of view is a political extremist.

I guess I just have a problem with the underlying animosity that seems to be behind some of the criticisms levelled towards Bush (similar to when some people tried to simplify and demonize Clinton on a personal level).
Old 07-06-2004, 03:45 AM   #25
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Bush's responses to the questions or the reporters interupting questions?
Both.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:47 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:11 AM
It's true that the US President is way, way, way less answerable then virtually anyone else in the equivalent office in most democracies. Here in Australia, our Prime Minister will have to tackle far, far tougher Q&A sessions then this, with no preperation, at least daily. That's not just a Bush thing though, it's a US President thing. The US Presidents relationship with the media, and the media and publics ability to hastle the President, is very different to here or in the UK or Europe etc.

On top of that though, Bush can't seem to give a decent answer to a question. Ever. Just waffle. That's why I think this reporter was getting annoyed and interupting. For the most part, the White House PR people could/should just set up a website for journalists who have a question for the President. Bush can just record about 20 of his standard answers, post them on the site.

Are you a journalist? Click ASKBUSH.
Are you asking a question about the problems in Iraq? Click BUSH TALKS ABOUT TYRANNY vs FREEDOM.
Are you asking about a solution for the problems in Iraq? Click BUSH TALKS ABOUT TYRANNY vs FREEDOM
Were you looking for a proper answer? Click DISNEY.COM

You get the idea anyway. His speeches/conferences/everything are all the same and NEVER give constructive, decent answers.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:02 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

We're so used to our politicians purposely lying or, more commonly, "misleading" us that when we discover that we're duped, we just end up defending them anyway.

"See, if you had paid attention to 'such-and-such' conversation on this date, you'd realize that he really wasn't lying...."

It's really quite pathetic, but that goes to show you how desensitized we are. We think that avoiding the question is normal, and we certainly never expect a straight-answer. I mean, after all, who do we think we are to expect one?

Melon
Old 07-06-2004, 04:56 AM   #28
you are what you is

Local Time: 08:11 AM
there must be a difference between "not really trying to tell as much of the truth as possible" and "giving a political answer" somewhere
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 07-06-2004, 11:21 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
The reporter interrupted to get Bush back on subject.
Only if the reporter wants to control the answers.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:24 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Only if the reporter wants to control the answers.
Well, a reporter's job is to sift through the bull crap and find answers - and the answers given aren't always "truths"