MERGED -> Bush endorses 'intelligent design' + Politicized Scholars...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Bush endorses 'intelligent design'

Contends theory should be taught with evolution
By Ron Hutcheson, Knight Ridder | August 2, 2005

WASHINGTON -- President Bush waded into the debate over evolution and ''intelligent design" yesterday, saying schools should teach both theories on the creation and complexity of life.

In a wide-ranging question-and-answer session with a small group of reporters, Bush essentially endorsed efforts by Christian conservatives to give intelligent design equal standing with the theory of evolution in the nation's schools.

On other topics, Bush said he has no idea how Supreme Court nominee John G. Roberts Jr. would vote in a case challenging the legality of abortion because he never asked him about it. He also defended Baltimore Orioles first baseman Rafael Palmeiro, who was suspended yesterday for using performance-enhancing steroids.

Bush declined to state his personal views on ''intelligent design," the belief that life forms are so complex that their creation cannot be explained by Darwinian evolutionary theory alone, but rather points to intentional creation, presumably divine.

The theory of evolution, first articulated by British naturalist Charles Darwin in 1859, is based on the idea that life organisms developed over time through random mutations and factors in nature that favored certain traits that helped species survive.

Scientists concede that evolution does not answer every question about the creation of life, but most consider intelligent design an attempt to inject religion into science courses.

Bush compared the current debate to earlier disputes over ''creationism," a related view that adheres more closely to biblical explanations. As governor of Texas, Bush said students should be exposed to both creationism and evolution.

The president said yesterday that he favors the same approach for intelligent design ''so people can understand what the debate is about."

The Kansas Board of Education is considering changes to encourage the teaching of intelligent design in Kansas schools, and Christian conservatives are pushing for similar changes in other school districts across the country.

''I think that part of education is to expose people to different schools of thought," Bush said. ''You're asking me whether or not people ought to be exposed to different ideas, the answer is yes."

The National Academy of Sciences and the American Association for the Advancement of Science have both concluded that there is no scientific basis for intelligent design and oppose its inclusion in school science classes.

''The claim that equity demands balanced treatment of evolutionary theory and special creation in science classrooms reflects a misunderstanding of what science is and how it is conducted," the academy said in a 1999 assessment. ''Creationism, intelligent design, and other claims of supernatural intervention in the origin of life or of species are not science because they are not testable by the methods of science."

Some scientists have declined to join the debate, fearing that amplifying the discussion only gives intelligent design more legitimacy.

Bush was more than ready for questions about his Supreme Court nominee. Bush said he deliberately avoided discussing Roe v. Wade, the 1973 ruling that legalized abortion nationwide, with Roberts before selecting him for a spot on the nation's highest court.

The president said he was concerned that if Roberts expressed an opinion, he would have to withdraw from any case challenging the landmark decision.

He also said he believed Palmeiro when he testified that he didn't use steroids. Palmeiro is Bush's friend from their days together with the Texas Rangers in the early 1990s.

© Copyright 2005 Globe Newspaper Company.

Re: Bush endorses 'intelligent design'

Dreadsox said:

On other topics, Bush said he has no idea how Supreme Court nominee John G. Roberts Jr. would vote in a case challenging the legality of abortion because he never asked him about it.
Nice way to dodge the issue. I didn't ask him, did you really need to George?

Dreadsox said:

He also defended Baltimore Orioles first baseman Rafael Palmeiro, who was suspended yesterday for using performance-enhancing steroids.

:|

Newsflash: Bush, you're the president, not a scientist. Leave science class to the scientists and i'll leave incompetant presidential pandering to you.

Melon

Re: Bush endorses 'intelligent design'

Dreadsox said:
Bush compared the current debate to earlier disputes over ''creationism," a related view that adheres more closely to biblical explanations. As governor of Texas, Bush said students should be exposed to both creationism and evolution.

The president said yesterday that he favors the same approach for intelligent design ''so people can understand what the debate is about."

Yes, but who's version of creationism does he suggest we use? :tsk:

They can fire me if they want but I will never teach this in a public school. :|

Re: Re: Bush endorses 'intelligent design'

WildHoneyAlways said:
Yes, but who's version of creationism does he suggest we use? :tsk:

They can fire me if they want but I will never teach this in a public school. :|

I suggest instead that you have fun with it and start teaching the Shinto version of creationism. It involves a giant penis. After all, how can they prove that a giant penis was *not* involved in the creation of the world?

The only way to disarm the Christian Taliban and creationism is to teach all methods of creationism--including non-Christian creation myths--and make it all sound ridiculous for what it is.

Melon

Last edited:
So let me see.

On the one side of the scales we have hundreds of years of scientific study by thousands of reputed scientists. And on the other we have the Book of Genesis, written by sheep herders with no scientific knowledge or training.

And in the state of Kansas, and in the President's head, the scales balance seemingly. Go figure, kids!

Re: Re: Re: Bush endorses 'intelligent design'

melon said:

I suggest instead that you have fun with it and start teaching the Shinto version of creationism. It involves a giant penis. After all, how can they prove that a giant penis was *not* involved in the creation of the world?

OMG. The school board in my district would have a fit! :lol: I would love every minute of it though. :hmm:

The only way to disarm the Christian Taliban and creationism is to teach all methods of creationism--including non-Christian creation myths--and make it all sound ridiculous for what it is.

That is a very good idea. :up:

melon said:

Blasphemous rubbish! True believers know that the entire universe emerged, fully formed, from the earlobe of the Giant Intergalactic Unicorn, exactly 12,231 years ago. :wink:

I found this a couple of months ago (sorry, I don't have the link to it anymore), and thought this might be of assistance to those required to teach intelligent design.... :D

OPEN LETTER TO KANSAS SCHOOL BOARD

I am writing you with much concern after having read of your hearing to decide whether the alternative theory of Intelligent Design to be taught along with the theory of Evolution. I think we can all agree that it is important for students to hear multiple viewpoints so they can choose for themselves the theory that makes the most sense to them. I am concerned, however, that students will only hear one theory of Intelligent Design.

Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. It was He who created all that we see and all that we feel. We feel strongly that the overwhelming scientific evidence pointing towards evolutionary processes is nothing but a coincidence, put in place by Him.

It is for this reason that I’m writing you today, to formally request that this alternative theory be taught in your schools, along with the other two theories. In fact, I will go so far as to say, if you do not agree to do this, we will be forced to proceed with legal action. I’m sure you see where we are coming from. If the Intelligent Design theory is not based on faith, but instead another scientific theory, as is claimed, then you must also allow our theory to be taught, as it is also based on science, not on faith.

Some find that hard to believe, so it may be helpful to tell you a little more about our beliefs. We have evidence that a Flying Spaghetti Monster created the universe. None of us, of course, were around to see it, but we have written accounts of it. We have several lengthy volumes explaining all details of His power. Also, you may be surprised to hear that there are over 10 million of us, and growing. We tend to be very secretive, as many people claim our beliefs are not substantiated by observable evidence. What these people don’t understand is that He built the world to make us think the earth is older than it really is. For example, a scientist may perform a carbon-dating process on an artifact. He finds that approximately 75% of the Carbon-14 has decayed by electron emission to Nitrogen-14, and infers that this artifact is approximately 10,000 years old, as the half-life of Carbon-14 appears to be 5,730 years. But what our scientist does not realize is that every time he makes a measurement, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage. We have numerous texts that describe in detail how this can be possible and the reasons why He does this. He is of course invisible and can pass through normal matter with ease.

I’m sure you now realize how important it is that your students are taught this alternate theory. It is absolutely imperative that they realize that observable evidence is at the discretion of a Flying Spaghetti Monster. Furthermore, it is disrespectful to teach our beliefs without wearing His chosen outfit, which of course is full pirate regalia. I cannot stress the importance of this, and unfortunately cannot describe in detail why this must be done as I fear this letter is already becoming too long. The concise explanation is that He becomes angry if we don’t.

You may be interested to know that global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct effect of the shrinking numbers of Pirates since the 1800s. For your interest, I have included a graph of the approximate number of pirates versus the average global temperature over the last 200 years. As you can see, there is a statistically significant inverse relationship between pirates and global temperature.

[I didn't put the graph in]

In conclusion, thank you for taking the time to hear our views and beliefs. I hope I was able to convey the importance of teaching this theory to your students. We will of course be able to train the teachers in this alternate theory. I am eagerly awaiting your response, and hope dearly that no legal action will need to be taken. I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence.

Sincerely Yours,

Bobby Henderson, concerned citizen.

What an embarrassment.

I know. Somebody needs to tell George W that Politics and Religion don't mix. Or at least don't go together well.

financeguy said:

And in the state of Kansas, and in the President's head, the scales balance seemingly. Go figure, kids!

The scales never balance in the president's head. :huh:

Why can't Bush state what his beliefs are? If all of us can spout off what we believe then he is free to do it as well. Sure it may not be PC to say it, but so what. Some people act like the man has just stated that he hates black people. What difference does it make what the President believes as we are all still free to believe whatever the hell we want.

randhail said:
Why can't Bush state what his beliefs are? If all of us can spout off what we believe then he is free to do it as well. Sure it may not be PC to say it, but so what. Some people act like the man has just stated that he hates black people. What difference does it make what the President believes as we are all still free to believe whatever the hell we want.

Because the President is presumed to be speaking out of his official capacity, rather than his personal views. That's why.

And just as he's free to be an idiot, I'm free to flame him for it. It may not be PC, but I don't care.

Melon

:down: :down: But as if we could expect anything more. It is really quite simple; intelligent design implies an unfalsifiable element ergo it is not really scientific.

I think that a big part of the problem rests on the state of scientific communication and education and part of that responsibility rests with the scientific community.

You do not convince anybody be being condacending to them, fostering a better understanding of science should be a key element of education policy.

Last edited:
I agree with the majority of the people in this thread. Science stuff should be taught in science class, religious stuff should be taught in religion classes/at home/in CHURCH (people seem to forget that those buildings do exist for a reason nowadays). Period. End of story.

And randhail, nobody is saying Bush can't say what he wants. We're just disagreeing with his belief that intelligent design should be taught alongside evolution in school, is all.

Angela

melon said:

Melon

Yes, I agree. I'm surrounded by Christian Taliban people. They run my state. I am just glad I'm not sending kids to school. I don't think I could handle this.

Just to play Devil's advocate for a sec....

As an agnostic who would definatley be angry at the thought of Creationism being taught in US schools, let me just say that from what I hear, "Intelligent Design" is a lot different than flat out Creationism. I was under the impression that ID a belief in Evolution except the adherents don't believe that it was a random process and do believe that some higher power put the evolutionary process into place. With ID no one is being taught that the Earth is 6000 years old or even that a Judeo-Christian God created the universe.

This doesn't mean I agree with ID being taught or that I don't see it as a first attempt by some to gradually bring Creationism into schools, but I thought someone should make the differences between ID and Creationism clear.

(Oh, and here are some links to Slate articles on this topic, they explain it better than I ever could.)

http://www.slate.com/id/2118388
http://www.slate.com/id/2062009/
http://www.slate.com/id/104349

Last edited:
Lemonfix said:
Just to play Devil's advocate for a sec....

As an agnostic who would definatley be angry at the thought of Creationism being taught in US schools, let me just say that from what I hear, "Intelligent Design" is a lot different than flat out Creationism. I was under the impression that ID a belief in Evolution except the adherents don't believe that it was a random process and do believe that some higher power put the evolutionary process into place. With ID no one is being taught that the Earth is 6000 years old or even that a Judeo-Christian God created the universe.

This doesn't mean I agree with ID being taught or that I don't see it as a first attempt by some to gradually bring Creationism into schools, but I thought someone should make the differences between ID and Creationism clear.

(Oh, and here are some links to Slate articles on this topic, they explain it better than I ever could.)

http://www.slate.com/id/2118388
http://www.slate.com/id/2062009/
http://www.slate.com/id/104349

You are correct in saying ID is much different than creationism. It's apples and oranges. Creationism is wham bam everything happened in six days. ID takes evolution into account but acknowledges the presence of a diety too.

As a Catholic and a scientist, I tend to favor ID. Life is way too complex for it all to be random. If it were all evolution, it would be like winning the lottery day after day for millions of years.

Se7en said:
as someone else mentioned i imagine this is just the first step in a larger plan to get genesis into school classrooms.

How is it the first step? Genesis has NOTHING to do with ID?

randhail said:
How is it the first step? Genesis has NOTHING to do with ID?

well shock and awe might have worked in iraq but i don't think you can use the same game plan here. you have to be diplomatic. you know, maybe go to the u.n. first and build an international coalition.

it's just the first step in getting god into school and the classroom. jesus will be sure to follow.

Se7en said:

well shock and awe might have worked in iraq but i don't think you can use the same game plan here. you have to be diplomatic. you know, maybe go to the u.n. first and build an international coalition.

it's just the first step in getting god into school and the classroom. jesus will be sure to follow.

what the f does shock and awe have to do with this?

way to answer my question, seriously, great job.

Back
Top Bottom