MERGED -> Bush endorses 'intelligent design' + Politicized Scholars... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2005, 04:02 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
Hey the Book of Genesis is complete bollocks.

(Now that's what I call non-PC.)

Old 08-02-2005, 04:02 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:57 AM
But as if we could expect anything more. It is really quite simple; intelligent design implies an unfalsifiable element ergo it is not really scientific.

I think that a big part of the problem rests on the state of scientific communication and education and part of that responsibility rests with the scientific community.

You do not convince anybody be being condacending to them, fostering a better understanding of science should be a key element of education policy.

Old 08-02-2005, 05:18 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:57 PM
I agree with the majority of the people in this thread. Science stuff should be taught in science class, religious stuff should be taught in religion classes/at home/in CHURCH (people seem to forget that those buildings do exist for a reason nowadays). Period. End of story.

And randhail, nobody is saying Bush can't say what he wants. We're just disagreeing with his belief that intelligent design should be taught alongside evolution in school, is all.

Angela
Old 08-02-2005, 06:08 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:57 PM
W's physical fitness:

mental fitness:
Old 08-02-2005, 06:10 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:57 PM
Absolutely ridiculous.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:29 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:57 PM
Re: Re: Re: Bush endorses 'intelligent design'

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

I suggest instead that you have fun with it and start teaching the Shinto version of creationism. It involves a giant penis. After all, how can they prove that a giant penis was *not* involved in the creation of the world?

The only way to disarm the Christian Taliban and creationism is to teach all methods of creationism--including non-Christian creation myths--and make it all sound ridiculous for what it is.

Melon
Yes, I agree. I'm surrounded by Christian Taliban people. They run my state. I am just glad I'm not sending kids to school. I don't think I could handle this.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:30 PM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 02:57 PM
Just to play Devil's advocate for a sec....

As an agnostic who would definatley be angry at the thought of Creationism being taught in US schools, let me just say that from what I hear, "Intelligent Design" is a lot different than flat out Creationism. I was under the impression that ID a belief in Evolution except the adherents don't believe that it was a random process and do believe that some higher power put the evolutionary process into place. With ID no one is being taught that the Earth is 6000 years old or even that a Judeo-Christian God created the universe.

This doesn't mean I agree with ID being taught or that I don't see it as a first attempt by some to gradually bring Creationism into schools, but I thought someone should make the differences between ID and Creationism clear.

(Oh, and here are some links to Slate articles on this topic, they explain it better than I ever could.)

http://www.slate.com/id/2118388
http://www.slate.com/id/2062009/
http://www.slate.com/id/104349
Old 08-02-2005, 08:21 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonfix
Just to play Devil's advocate for a sec....

As an agnostic who would definatley be angry at the thought of Creationism being taught in US schools, let me just say that from what I hear, "Intelligent Design" is a lot different than flat out Creationism. I was under the impression that ID a belief in Evolution except the adherents don't believe that it was a random process and do believe that some higher power put the evolutionary process into place. With ID no one is being taught that the Earth is 6000 years old or even that a Judeo-Christian God created the universe.

This doesn't mean I agree with ID being taught or that I don't see it as a first attempt by some to gradually bring Creationism into schools, but I thought someone should make the differences between ID and Creationism clear.

(Oh, and here are some links to Slate articles on this topic, they explain it better than I ever could.)

http://www.slate.com/id/2118388
http://www.slate.com/id/2062009/
http://www.slate.com/id/104349
You are correct in saying ID is much different than creationism. It's apples and oranges. Creationism is wham bam everything happened in six days. ID takes evolution into account but acknowledges the presence of a diety too.

As a Catholic and a scientist, I tend to favor ID. Life is way too complex for it all to be random. If it were all evolution, it would be like winning the lottery day after day for millions of years.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:26 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

as someone else mentioned i imagine this is just the first step in a larger plan to get genesis into school classrooms.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:27 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en
as someone else mentioned i imagine this is just the first step in a larger plan to get genesis into school classrooms.
How is it the first step? Genesis has NOTHING to do with ID?
Old 08-02-2005, 08:29 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
How is it the first step? Genesis has NOTHING to do with ID?
well shock and awe might have worked in iraq but i don't think you can use the same game plan here. you have to be diplomatic. you know, maybe go to the u.n. first and build an international coalition.

it's just the first step in getting god into school and the classroom. jesus will be sure to follow.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:32 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en

well shock and awe might have worked in iraq but i don't think you can use the same game plan here. you have to be diplomatic. you know, maybe go to the u.n. first and build an international coalition.

it's just the first step in getting god into school and the classroom. jesus will be sure to follow.
what the f does shock and awe have to do with this?

way to answer my question, seriously, great job.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:40 PM   #28
Refugee

Local Time: 09:57 PM
Quote:

way to not understand what he just said lol
Old 08-02-2005, 08:46 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

then i must just be a dumb Bush supporter, incapable of doing anything but spew out Christian ideas.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:03 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

"tongue-in-cheek," my friend. nothing to get all riled up about. my point is in there somewhere.