MERGED --> Bono Should Be Ashamed + More ranting from Robertson - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2005, 12:49 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:06 PM
Bono should be ashamed...

...of associating with televangelist Pat Robertson, who has now called for the death of Venezuala's president.

=====================
Televangelist Calls for Chavez' Death
-
Monday, August 22, 2005

(08-22) 20:06 PDT Virginia Beach, Va. (AP) --

Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson called on Monday for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, calling him a "terrific danger" to the United States.

Robertson, founder of the Christian Coalition of America and a former presidential candidate, said on "The 700 Club" it was the United States' duty to stop Chavez from making Venezuela a "launching pad for communist infiltration and Muslim extremism."

Chavez has emerged as one of the most outspoken critics of President Bush, accusing the United States of conspiring to topple his government and possibly backing plots to assassinate him. U.S. officials have called the accusations ridiculous.

"You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it," Robertson said. "It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war ... and I don't think any oil shipments will stop."

Electronic pages and a message to a Robertson spokeswoman were not immediately returned Monday evening.

Venezuela is the fifth largest oil exporter and a major supplier of oil to the United States. The CIA estimates that U.S. markets absorb almost 59 percent of Venezuela's total exports.

Venezuela's government has demanded in the past that the United States crack down on Cuban and Venezuelan "terrorists" in Florida who they say are conspiring against Chavez.

Robertson accused the United States of failing to act when Chavez was briefly overthrown in 2002.

"We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability," Robertson said.

"We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator," he continued. "It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."

Old 08-23-2005, 12:52 AM   #2
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:06 PM
moving this to fym as it would fit a bit better there...

Old 08-23-2005, 12:54 AM   #3
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:06 AM
OK, so just because he's not doing what the US wants, he should be shot?

Because that makes so much sense.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-23-2005, 12:56 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I know Axver, isn't that disgusting?

It creeps me out to think that Bono and Pat Robertson worked closely together on the "One" campaign.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:57 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

That's weak to move this into "FYM."

It's big U2 news, but it's not pretty news, so it's "hidden" out of the way by the moderators? Yikes.

For those who aren't aware, Bono and Pat Robertson worked *very* closely on the "One" campaign. They appeared in commercials together as well.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:07 AM   #6
Refugee
Note: Troll-like

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Local Time: 02:06 AM
Perhaps Bono shares these views? Probably, he has been very anti-Venezuelan in the past.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:13 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Palace_Hero
Perhaps Bono shares these views? Probably, he has been very anti-Venezuelan in the past.
Touche', but I still think he should at least kick Pat Robertson out of the "One" campaign, don't you?

I'm sure Bono would be as horrified by the assassination request as any of us would be.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:13 AM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 10:06 PM
OF COURSE he should be shot! Anyone who does THAT deserves to be either gagged or shot. Whichever is handier. How do you know Chavez wont fund Latino-terror cells with all the money he gets from oil? I think Venezuela is a part of the Axis of Evil, too. And how long, I ask you, how long before Venezuela starts building nucular weapons? Its so close too, they could kill you without you noticing it! I think President Bush needs to punch the evil-doers in the mouth and show'em that you cant mess with Texas!
Old 08-23-2005, 01:15 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LyricalDrug

It's big U2 news, but it's not pretty news, so it's "hidden" out of the way by the moderators? Yikes.

This (FYM) is where political stuff belongs. Hidden? Not at all.

If you don't choose to come in here that's your bad. But plenty of brave souls do come in here.

And Pat Robertson's a nutjob.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:16 AM   #10
Refugee

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Quote:

Touche', but I still think he should at least kick Pat Robertson out of the "One" campaign, don't you?

I'm sure Bono would be as horrified by the assassination request as any of us would be.
I'm not horrified. Not pleased either, but I'm not gonna lose any hair over the opinions of some American quack, who isn't Bush.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:17 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Palace_Hero

I'm not horrified. Not pleased either, but I'm not gonna lose any hair over the opinions of some American quack, who isn't Bush.
Oh I don't really care about it either, frankly.

But I want Bono to win a Nobel Peace Prize.

And if he's going to win one someday, he needs to stay politically smart, and being politically smart means kicking Pat Robertson out of the "One" campaign.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:07 AM   #12
Refugee

Quote:

And if he's going to win one someday, he needs to stay politically smart, and being politically smart means kicking Pat Robertson out of the "One" campaign.
Good point, I see where you are coming from now.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:12 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:06 PM
The One campaign is quite a broad church seemingly.

I would like to see Bono condemn these comments, but I don't know if kicking Robertson off the campaign is necessarily the way to go.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:53 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:06 PM
Quote:

For those who aren't aware, Bono and Pat Robertson worked *very* closely on the "One" campaign. They appeared in commercials together as well.
LyricalDrug,
Moving this thread to FYM isn't about hiding the thread -- FYM is a forum which anyone who is a member of this board can visit so it's not somewhere to hide threads.

The only reason your thread was moved is that we try to keep threads in the most appropriate forum and FYM is the appropriate forum for political discussions. If every thread about a politician Bono has been associated with was considered U2 news we'd have EYKIW full of threads about Bush, Blair and any other politician Bono has ever met, and you can imagine the kind of chaos that would cause!

Anyway, I hope you'll continue to post in FYM now you're here.

*Fizz.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:19 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:06 PM
Quote:

which is it? do you condemn all calls for assassination or do you want bono to win a nobel prize? a little of both?

to state that bono should be 'ashamed' because of robertson's comments and their past working relationship is quite a stretch. in gaining support for his campaign, bono reached out to a lot of diverse people, some of them being a little crazy as it would seem. i'd be surprised if you see bono making use of robertson's services in the future, provided he is aware of the comments.

and claiming that this is huge U2 news moreso than anything else is laughable.